Hybrid Poplars from Hell

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,had my fill with poplars,max age is 6-7 years,not worth a shit for fire wood,just like wheeping willows I had,also agree with silver maples,my old 100yr old giant POS gives my house great shade,but all summer it's pick-up stix after a wind storm,and late fall gutter cleaning from all the leaves.
My maples are on the west side of the house and shed very few branches even though they are completely exposed to the wind. Haven't had any problems with the gutters but should probably take a look at them.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably meant chinese elm. Worse than poplars IMO. Take over grassland areas and once they get 2-3 feet you can't mow them over any more. Ugly as sin, pathetic lookin tree.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maples are worth the hassle IMO.

Because shade/syrup.

Maybe some variety of maples are okay,but my giant silver 12'diameter,100' high shit maple is good for one thing "shade"...no syrup at my place except for the "aunt jemima" brand iffin I need syrup

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe some variety of maples are okay,but my giant silver 12'diameter,100' high shit maple is good for one thing "shade"...no syrup at my place except for the "aunt jemima" brand iffin I need syrup

I’d tap that. :)

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got a few elm's at my place couple chinese as well or did have,made the mistake of trimming these eye sores mid summer,ended up shocking the trees,they all died couple months later,local tree arborist told me elm tree's should only be trimmed in the fall after a hard frost,oh well done deal now.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d tap that. :)

you would tap "aunt jemima".....might piss mrs guy off....

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
So do you have a problem with shade?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted about 100 Norway Poplars from Bergeson Nursery about 7 years ago. They are 30'+ tall and look very healthy. We are pretty open and have some bad wind but I don't recall having to pick up a single branch. I was told this variety is more "hardy" than hybrids and live to about 40 years old which i realize isn't a long time for a tree but I believe hybrids are only good for about 20. I have some other tree rows planted as well but wanted some quick privacy on our 3 acre lot within a rural development. I may regret it later but so far so good.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So do you have a problem with shade?

LOL,nope,shade is good on these hot summer days,just the maintenance pisses me off,infact my neighbor has been bugging me to take this monster down as it is on our property line and the tree shits big limbs on his house and vehicles after every major storm,every summer I have a "climber" come in to thin out the branches.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably meant chinese elm. Worse than poplars IMO. Take over grassland areas and once they get 2-3 feet you can't mow them over any more. Ugly as sin, pathetic lookin tree.

Yep. That's it. Wish I could buy napalm to get rid of them

They got really bad in a few meadows we didn't hay last year and be had to leave most of them this year because the trees were big enough to break sickle sections. Think we will borrow a rotary mower and chop them off after spraying them

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member

Sorry if I missed if you mentioned it. What type of maple tree is it and how old? My amur maple bushes are kicking a$$, full hedge and 12'+ for height already. Unfortunately the the 2 year old royal frosted birch tree i planted got its ass kicked this past winter and pretty much dead ( only the first two branches have leaves) and my 4 year old quaking aspen isnt looking all the promising either. looking to replace those trees with some sort of shade tree

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry if I missed if you mentioned it. What type of maple tree is it and how old? My amur maple bushes are kicking a$$, full hedge and 12'+ for height already. Unfortunately the the 2 year old royal frosted birch tree i planted got its ass kicked this past winter and pretty much dead ( only the first two branches have leaves) and my 4 year old quaking aspen isnt looking all the promising either. looking to replace those trees with some sort of shade tree

ktm,,,not up on my tree's like you seemed to be.this nasty beast of a tree is a maple,was told it is a silver maple,took multipal lightening strikes over the years,just keeps growing,green leaves well in to november,major mulching occures at this time unless we're hit with snow in november

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
ktm,,,not up on my tree's like you seemed to be.this nasty beast of a tree is a maple,was told it is a silver maple,took multipal lightening strikes over the years,just keeps growing,green leaves well in to november,major mulching occures at this time unless we're hit with snow in november

lol ok, i know only the trees that i have planted at my house :) lol only 300+ and im about treed out. ha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34