I want your Van Hook fishing spots!! For just one day..............

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be there Friday at the hook doing recon. (sans electrical gremlins that have plagued me for last week) hopefully that gets fixed today. Is anybody staying in Newtown? I have a room booked for Friday night.
maybe a cold beer is in order with a couple of you fellas.

I'll be at the New Town Territorial Inn on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm in for a few blue num nums.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
quite a few of us will be in the van hook campgrounds. a few adult beverages will be shared around the fire

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be staying at Little Missouri inn and suites. Stayed there last fall one night. impressed. Super clean and good boat parking. Breakfast at 5 AM . Sounds like the campground is were the party begins and ends. I'll bring the chicks

Racer66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maps are at the bait store, identifies by name all of the fishing spots "shell village, gull island, fox island etc."

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone have any slip bobber spots??? might have a couple kids with me, and would love to have that option...

pm would b fine... thanks...
if it's not too windy anchoring on a flat and slip bobbering would be a great option. that's what they do on Mille Lacs all the time on the launches.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's really windy from the north, don't be afraid to fish the far north end. There are some humps there that will pretty much hold fish throughout the entire summer. If you don't have any of them marked, you just have to follow the boats or else stumble onto them.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
my kid is going to captain too this year so we'll just follow him lol

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok guys, I'll share what I know from the last 2 days of fishing.

Yesterday was crawlers on deathrigs with a white bead and a red bead with either a brass prop blade or a blaze orange prop blade in front of it. We fished the humps on the east side of Gull island all the way to flag point bouncing between 10 and 18 fow. From about 7:30am to 11:15am we pulled about 40 eyes with most being 12-15". We did keep a limit of 16-17" eyes. I know they sell the rigs I was using at the bait shop, but I tied my own. If anyone needs I can upload a pic of one of the rigs.
7-27-16.jpg

2 nights ago my wife and I went down to the hook and caught the evening bite. We put the boat in at about 8:15 pm and fished until about 10:30pm. We headed up to the island straight north of "no-name" island in the northwest corner of Van Hook. We hit 7 fow and found good fish. We ended up landing around 30 eyes with most being in that 12-14" range. We kept 6: a 24", 2-19" and 3- 16". Same thing there as far as presentation, but, I think this would be a pretty good spot for those of you asking about spots for slip bobbering as there's a bit of weeds and submerged trees. Also, off the southeast point of this island there is a pocket with a very fast drop off from 4-8'. There was fish in there 2 nights ago. Another decent spot for slip bobbering I believe would be off the northeast side of rodeo island in the shallower stuff, there are trees and weeds around there and I've caught some big fish out of there in the past. Another spot that might be decent for slip bobbering is the north east and southwest points on Gull island. They have pretty good cover and usually hold decent fish. My wife and I will be out again tomorrow night for the evening bite. If anyone wants to follow us around I'd be willing to show some of the spots that I usually have decent luck in. Shoot me a message.

7-26-16.jpg

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks petras...

we fished today from bout 11 to 4 trying slip bobbers in bout 6 different spots from 5 to 25', but the only thing we could get to fire was drum...

threw out spinners and had 2 fish in 2 minutes starting where we sat with bobbers for a 1/2 hour... pulled spinners from 4 to 530 and boated 15 or 20 eyes from 12 to 20"... kept a limit with one bleeder under 16", and 4 over 18"...

home made 2 hook spinner rigs with pink and white, glittered and clear coated chartreuse, and orange colorado's, and chartreuse mac's smile blades... 5 or 6 beads of whatever color i happened to grab...

live crawlers were best, but also caught fish on 5" black gulp leaches and orange and black killer crawlers...

was told at the bait shop 18-24'... all ours came from 6-14' on the gravel to mud transition lines... shallower = bigger...

shoreline sw of 8#...

GOOD LUCK ALL!!! LETS GET OUR VETS SOME FISH!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33