Ice Dam

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys, HELP!

We have lived in our house for 13+ years and never had ice dams. I cleared snow off the roof last night in preparation for the snowpacalypse (couldn't get it all) and now I have a huge ice dam on the north side of my house. Guessing it's the melty, drippy snow that fell today melting and refreezing. Water is coming in the ceiling of my bathroom now. Not pouring in, but a steady drip.

Does something like this work? I'm looking for the fastest way to clear the dam without ruining my roof and not sustaining any more damage inside. TIA.

1680655964113.png

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend put something like that on his, and he says the cable works. If your very careful with a torch it may be fastest way to get rid of the dam, before you put the cable down.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend put something like that on his, and he says the cable works. If your very careful with a torch it may be fastest way to get rid of the dam, before you put the cable down.
Torch may solve other problems, but at the same time I wouldn't be available to enjoy the fruits once they realized what I did.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only time I've dealt with ice dams we took a hose from the house to the top of the ice and ran warm water over the dam until it was gone. Then it was a roof rake keeping the snow from doing a repeat. Make sure your downspout is clear or you might do more damage than good. The runoff went into the back yard so making an ice rink to slip on wasn't a concern. Good Luck!!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same shit... different topic... been in my house 17-18 years. Never had an ice damn. Wasn't even completely sure what the fuck they are. This year I got two on my house and 1 on one of my rentals. All leaking above window sills. All solved by removing a few feet of snow above the the gutter line. And dumping a metric shit ton of salt on the damn dams and otherwise up and down the length of the gutter. I assume its this hovering right below freezing situation but sunlight strong enough to melt on roof so it freezes at gutter. Next year, the gutters are all getting a healthy dose of salt pucks before winter.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont just fire de icing salt people use to ruin their concrete up there a guy did that and it got in the ply wood under the shingles some way and he had alot of roof to replace.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the input guys. Even had one member call me to talk through his experience with it - this is the NDA I love!

It seems like Roof Melt (shingle-safe salt) and Mother Nature are my first go at it. If that doesn't work fast enough I'll try the heated cord to see if it'll speed things up a bit.

Just looked at the north side of my neighbor's house and they are in even worse shape. You can see discolored water running down the entire north side and ice dam that has to be 10-12".

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put your roof melt in a nylon stocking. Can throw them around where needed.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The key to this is preparedness. If you're going to put those heating cords up, do it this summer, and you turn them on if/when you have a problem. Laying them on top of the existing ice could make matters worse.

Also, as said earlier, make sure your downspouts are clear, top to bottom.

There are some chemicals you can put in a nylon stocking, and throw up there too. They aren't overnight success, but they do work.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if heat tape cord would work?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if heat tape cord would work?
I bought the heated roof cord as a backup if the roof salt doesn't work. I can report back if I end up trying it. I realize it works best if under the ice before it forms, but I no longer have that option :)

Having not ever had ice dams on this house in 13 years, it never crossed my mind I'd need it as preventative. Live and learn I guess!

Thanks again guys!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93