Identifying the year of a Winchester repeating Arm.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Couple of years back when my father passed away my Mom gave me his Historical rifle. What i need help with is finding the date of manufacturing and caliber. It is a WINCHESTER Repeating Arms New Haven Conn.USA. It also has stamped Kings Improvement Arms March 29 1866 to Oct 16 1866 stamped on the rifle also Model 1873 with a stamp number of 206675B .Can some of you firearms guys give me some feedback on this rifle. also it has a 24'' octagon barrel. Tried to look it up on net no luck. But a very interesting rifle to say the least. I do not know much about firearms.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never mind, Must be a B . My Dad bought one at an auction way back when. If I remember right it was the stamp as yours , This was long before internet but we had the serial # looked up . If I am not lost on this yours might be one of 26715

- - - Updated - - -

They are a cool old gun, That's all I know about them.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Never mind, Must be a B . My Dad bought one at an auction way back when. If I remember right it was the stamp as yours , This was long before internet but we had the serial # looked up . If I am not lost on this yours might be one of 26715

- - - Updated - - -

They are a cool old gun, That's all I know about them.
Thanks for your time and info.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My address is a ruse to limit the number of flaming bags of dog excrement that I have to stomp out.....

Rusty

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the serial # is correct, your Winchester was made in 1886

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sometime ago I bought a 73 in 32-20 for $1350.
Rifle looks ok for made in 1889 however have seen many in better condition but then a touch higher price.
If I shoot enough at a target it appears to be a shotgun pattern (cleaning black powder bullet is a bitch after shooting, may try some of that there cowboy bullet and see if the barrel will holdup). Was told to redo the crown and that would be corrected.
Number ends in b and is about a 100,000 higher. King as all model 73 are.
Soon will pass the guns down as happen for you. Hope you treasure it well as those that were handled down to me. It is good and maybe can keep handling it down.

But I wish it was a 44-40. Plan is to purchase a conversion black power open top pistol in 32-20 from that time but they do get high price so may end up with a Cimarron reproduction for a lot less.
Then I can be Audey Murphy, John Wayne, and Sargent York all roll up in one as I walk in the forest at night. Hope is not to shoot the toe off however one is broken so I hope to hit that one (it is the one on right outside toe so should be in line). It would save on the doctor bill but then a new pair of boots.
Should have the caliber on the rifle. Maybe 32WCF for mine. db-2

Last edited:

dragoneyes

Honored Member
I will be passing the gun down to my only son, value of the gun probably not much, stock is good but other wise needs some screws. Just the memory's of when my dad talked about it was priceless. Here is a cool fact Billy the Kid used a 1873. If anyone wants some super cool reading look up Lost Winchester 1873 neat how this rifle was found and the condition the stock was in. Great pics of this artifact.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I love the old win. A lot of history with the 73 and only if the one you have could talk.
hace a model 92 from back then in 25-20.
jordan buck still the largest 5 point in the books was shoot with a 92 in 25-20. Maybe one day for me. I take along but when the time comes to shoot I guess I have little confidence in it so the weatherby comes out.
one can get the time period right screws for your 73. Most are missing the dust cover. Does yours have? Db

dragoneyes

Honored Member
I love the old win. A lot of history with the 73 and only if the one you have could talk.
hace a model 92 from back then in 25-20.
jordan buck still the largest 5 point in the books was shoot with a 92 in 25-20. Maybe one day for me. I take along but when the time comes to shoot I guess I have little confidence in it so the weatherby comes out.
one can get the time period right screws for your 73. Most are missing the dust cover. Does yours have? Db
By dust cover do you mean the 2 plates that are on opposite side with 1 long screw holding them in place if that is it yes i do think there might be piece missing in the guts. Going to try to find a drawing or blueprint online for rifle found one but it wasnt very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometime ago I bought a 73 in 32-20 for $1350.
Rifle looks ok for made in 1889 however have seen many in better condition but then a touch higher price.
If I shoot enough at a target it appears to be a shotgun pattern (cleaning black powder bullet is a bitch after shooting, may try some of that there cowboy bullet and see if the barrel will holdup). Was told to redo the crown and that would be corrected.
Number ends in b and is about a 100,000 higher. King as all model 73 are.
Soon will pass the guns down as happen for you. Hope you treasure it well as those that were handled down to me. It is good and maybe can keep handling it down.

But I wish it was a 44-40. Plan is to purchase a conversion black power open top pistol in 32-20 from that time but they do get high price so may end up with a Cimarron reproduction for a lot less.
Then I can be Audey Murphy, John Wayne, and Sargent York all roll up in one as I walk in the forest at night. Hope is not to shoot the toe off however one is broken so I hope to hit that one (it is the one on right outside toe so should be in line). It would save on the doctor bill but then a new pair of boots.
Should have the caliber on the rifle. Maybe 32WCF for mine. db-2
On the brass were the caliper is stamp is scratched up can not see the caliper.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
By dust cover do you mean the 2 plates that are on opposite side with 1 long screw holding them in place if that is it yes i do think there might be piece missing in the guts. Going to try to find a drawing or blueprint online for rifle found one but it wasnt very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

On the brass were the caliper is stamp is scratched up can not see the caliper.

Dust cover would be a sliding guard over the ejection port on top.

Should be able to stick a caliper in the bore and figure out what you've got. There were only 3 chamberings and different enough that a caliper will tell you what you need to know.

32-20, 38-40, or 44-40. They're different enough that laying a caliper across the muzzle should tell you what you need to know.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
dragon as I stated you can get the parts needed and probably the correct time period by using the internet if you want to get it back in working order. Just keep looking for the parts needed and looking for the place that has them. Not sure if a part from the new 73 would work.
Yes may need to be careful about the bullet one uses but it has more than likely had a bunch of bullets put through it already.
The caliber on mine is on top behind the rear site or do as sdmf says. Only brass I have is the piece that goes up and down to bring the shell up and it is expose under the bottom of the receiver or at least brass color. Love to see a picture of it. db

dragoneyes

Honored Member
dragon as I stated you can get the parts needed and probably the correct time period by using the internet if you want to get it back in working order. Just keep looking for the parts needed and looking for the place that has them. Not sure if a part from the new 73 would work.
Yes may need to be careful about the bullet one uses but it has more than likely had a bunch of bullets put through it already.
The caliber on mine is on top behind the rear site or do as sdmf says. Only brass I have is the piece that goes up and down to bring the shell up and it is expose under the bottom of the receiver or at least brass color. Love to see a picture of it. db
db-2 LOOKED again no dust cover might try to get it together found the diagram for the the 1873 Thanks for the information will try to get some pics of it online my phone wont work it is as old as the hills. Will have my daughter take a pic also she more computer savvy than i am. My knowledge about computers is limited. p.s caliber stamp should be on the brass looking piece on the bottom by the back side of trigger all scratched up with deep indents. Looks like you know your firearms the only other gun i have is a Browning feather light Made in Belgium sweet shotgun and it is in really great condition. Will try to get a pic on here of that one also. Hopefully by the New Year will add it on this post.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 146
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51