Insomnia

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shitty deal for us sleep walkers,this time of year I get upper respitory issues,cough and wiese that keeps me up,I take one benadryl (25mgs) then 10mg's of melatonin which is a natural sleep aid,most folks take 2 or 3mg's but I'm a good sized guy,works like a champ and if I wakeup later in the morning say around 3am I eat a magic cookie or gummie,hate to waste the buzz on sleep but its lights out with druel on the pillow come morning.Oh and as stated watch your sugar intake and go to your "happy place" to shut your mind down.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might sound wierd, but I'm a fan of self-hypnosis/ meditation. During wrestling in high school the coach would have us visualize wrestling and making shots ect, and at then end do a relaxation exercise. When I started college, I couldn't sleep worth shit. Did some looking onliNE and found audio for self hypnosis/meditation/leaxation. After a week I could fall asleep by the count of 5 and slept through the night. 15 hrs later I find myself reaching back into that bag of tricks for back aches, sleep issues, and stress. Best of luck.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shift worker here. Deal with good sleep coming and going all the time. Also have to sleep on my side or I snore and wake myself up (probably sleep apnea).

If I cant sleep, I usually think of how long its been since I've eaten. If I'm even a little bit hungry, I cant sleep. Almost a subconscious thing. I'm also that guy that eats lunch and then fights to stay out of a coma.

Then I usually start talking to the big guy upstairs to calm my mind. Not a church goer, so that's my time to air the laundry with him. It really works and it took me 20 some years of my life to discover this mind control trick. I used to lay awake at night with my mind going from one thing to another. Started using movies to get myself to sleep in high school, now I'm almost addicted to having a TV on to fall asleep also.

I will agree with watching your caffeine intake. Working night shifts and driving a hour each way to/from work, I use caffeine pills on the early morning drives home since I'm not a coffee drinker. On those days, my sleep is noticeably less. If I go to bed on an empty stomach after taking one of those its almost impossible to fall asleep.

1 or 2 beers/drinks and I toss and turn all night. Of course If I drink a 5 or 6 more than 2 then I sleep like a baby.

Regular exercise is helpful also.

The other thing I agree with is that damn screen time. Some days I catch myself fighting to stay awake to finish reading something on that stupid phone. Makes a guy want to throw it through the wall when you finally realize what is going on.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
My go-to insomnia recipe is a margarita when I come home, a bottle of wine with supper, 2 more margaritas after supper and a 200 mg AdvilPM before bedtime. My problem then is getting out of bed in the morning!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess all of you can tell my recipe for insomnia isn't exactly working tonight since I still on line at 1:36 am PST!!!

What is amazing to me is that I go to sleep (and I dream and wake a lot) but I go back to sleep. But when the AdvilPM wears off at 7 am I wake up and there is no going back to sleep. I'm wide awake. You need to dedicate 8 - 10 hours of sleep if you take a PM pill.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like were gunna need a dam horse tranquilizer or something. Nothing works. Im not even tired anymore, as a matter of fact I think i may never sleep again. Imagine all the shit a person could accomplish. It's almost turning into a game at this point.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like were gunna need a dam horse tranquilizer or something. Nothing works. Im not even tired anymore, as a matter of fact I think i may never sleep again. Imagine all the shit a person could accomplish. It's almost turning into a game at this point.
some people don't need much for sleep at all. My brother in-law is good to go with 4-5 nightly.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
some people don't need much for sleep at all. My brother in-law is good to go with 4-5 nightly.

I know a guy that would just chill out for a while, take a dump, a shower and head back to work or fishing. I definitely need some down time. If there is an epic bite, nothing matters though.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
See if music helps, or the awesome sound of Loons singing, or creek water running over rocks, etc. Something relaxing/soothing. Works for me anyway.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
My nightly sleep aid is asking Alexa to play sounds of the ocean. It’s great

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my hot tub nearly every night, and I sleep like a baby. But my nights are usually pretty short. 5 hours, or 6 at best.

In the hot tub, I don't even turn on the jets. Have a little radio playing some quiet music, and just soak in the hot water. Of course, I'd guess that a hot bath would do the same thing. I routinely fall asleep sitting in the backyard. I wake up with my nose about 1/2" from the water, close it up and go inside to bed. Works like a charm.

I second the screen time though. Turn it off. Ipad, phone, TV. If something is on, I struggle to stay awake to see what's what. Dumb.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46