Interesting phone call

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha.

I gave up land line a couple years ago, or close to it. I don't get phising calls on my cell.

Emails must be somewhat familiar for me to open them, I figure if I delete an email that was important someone will call me on it

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
but phishing for what? they didn't ask for any info.

th

th

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
...how in the world can cablelas let this transaction go through if the billing information doesn't match the card..unbelievable.

All that is needed for the CC order to process through is the CC#, CID #, Expiration Date, Name on the Card, and Billing Address of the card for a website order. For a phone order, all is needed is the CC#, CID# & Expiration Date.

One of the easiest ways people get their CC info stolen, is when your call a company and give your CC# over the phone. In most cases the person on the other end of the phone writes down your CC info on a piece of paper, in a Word document, etc first, and then they'll enter it in the ordering system. If the person has bad intentions, they will keep that piece of paper, Word doc, etc. for their own use later on....they can generally figure out what your name is and your address too.

I've done plenty of CC ordering process audits for clients, and you'd be amazed by how easy it is for this to happen. This happened to me when I had to phone a flower shop and give them my CC# to send flowers....the clerk just wrote them down and went shopping on me (and probably others).

One of the best ways to protect yourself (other than NEVER reading your CC# over the phone to someone), is to log into the Website of your CC company, and then find the 'alerts' area on your profile. Nearly all CC banks give you an option to have a text alert sent to your phone for every CC transaction. They texts happen so quick, I normally receive a text that a transaction happened before I get the receipt handed to me.

About a year ago, I received a text on a $.03 transaction come through early in the AM....somewhere my CC#/info had become compromised and they were just testing my CC to see if it was valid. Called my CC provider, promptly terminated that # and had a new card in my mailbox the day after.

Good Luck!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
gee, what do they say to you when they get clued in?

Usually something along the line of "sir, I don't theenk you haf been entering what I tail you kerrectly".

I usually lose them right around the second beer. Speaking of which, I just about spit on my own screen as I recalled one of the funnier ones. And yes, this has happened to me a few times. Sure glad I often have a beer within reach about the start of the work day over in Uganda, or wherever in the hell they are calling from.

Good times!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The unfortunate part is that a lot of people (and I'm not picking on old people) fall for this crap. My dad is not a stupid person, but he is nearly 80, and some text popped up on his computer this summer, he called the number, they had him type some commands in, then sold him some "anti-virus" software when his computer locked up. So he ended up spending about $400 (those bastages got him). Then he went out and bought a new computer (largely so he can continue to play free cell and forward joke emails). I know, this is where this all came from in the first place.

Luckily my parents are financially secure, and this is not a great hardship.

The thing is, it's easy to sit back and say "I'd never do this..." or "how can people be so dumb?". But it sucks when these low-lifes scam someone out of (someone else's inheritance) money.

I'm kidding about the inheritance thing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88