jury duty

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else in Morton county get drawn for jury duty every six months, it's getting to the point where in the last 4 years I have been summoned 7 times twice selected to a trial, and two times told all cases were resolved and i didn't have to show up, 1 time sent home after 4 hours of selection, in February I was excused because I was out of the country, now another summons for may. You can't tell me this shit is random anymore, if I got drawn half as many times for a buck tag as jury duty i wouldn't bitch but this shit is getting old.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah my wife and I get sent those a lot as well. She's had to serve a couple times but most seem to be settled out of court. I think all mine have been settled out of court except when I got summoned for federal court. Went through selections for about 4 hrs before the defense attorney excused me.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
30,000 people in the county they should be able to spread it out in 4 years the old lady hasn't gotten one of them in the mail

- - - Updated - - -

new legislation you can't be summoned for jury duty more times then you have got a buck tag

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get a Morton Co. summons at least once a year and have never had to serve but my wife was in the same boat as you and was getting them a couple times a year but as a small business owner who works on an hourly client schedule had to cancel her income for these days and finally went right to the court house and did some serious bitching due to income loss, that has been about 3-4 years ago and has not received one since that I can remember.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
only been summons once for jury duty in my 55 years, but job had me subpoened to court 6 times in the last 2 years . I can tell the area has changed in the last few years.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't have to go In your name goes back in much sooner. That said I never got one till 6 years ago and have been notified to come in every two years or so since. First time was a packed pool for a guy who was up on and overwhelmingly acquitted of sex crimes with his neighbor. I was in the last group called up and couldn't believe how many people answered the questions like a kid in the principal's office telling the judge what they thought he wanted to hear. Of an entire courtroom full of people I was the first one that raised my hand for ever having a negative in counter with law enforcement officer. The judge even piped up with we finally have an honest one...not surprisingly two of the remaining three people who came after me also had the same answer. My favorite was when he asked if anyone just didn't want to do it and I was the only one again to raise my hand. When he asked why I said I only had the next two days off work and it was the first nice weather we had in weeks that spring and I was hoping to get out and go fishing. He thanked me for being honest and said he wanted a report on how the bite was with a smile and said I could go.

That was also the point were I was introduced to the gem of a lawyer now judge Cynthia Feland. Man she's a peace of work! She was literally turning the jury against her in the selection faze! It was pretty clear from the little I saw in 6 hours in the selection faze of what went on to be a two or three day trial that she was railroading this guy and seemed to have a personal vendetta. It's a skill to make people in mass go to the side of a accused molester before most of the evidence is even in!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and I get summoned fairly often in Morton County. Never had to sit or even go into the selection phase though. If it happens, it happens. Civic duty and all. Price we pay for a free country.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 times I have been summoned, never had to show up. Everyone one was settled prior to my service.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I received 4 summons to jury duties in Montana after I had moved away. I sure got sick of being shitty to the same dim whit every time she called. After a bunch of yelling at her the last time she removed my name from the list.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been summoned twice, but I guess when they see I'm a Semi-Retired Conservative Caucasian Male with 22 years of Military service that can smell BS from a mile away...............I just never seem to make it past the first cut.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've lived in Burleigh now for 13 years, I suppose I've received 7 or 8 summons and ended up serving as a juror twice.

I have no issue with serving on a jury. As someone else put it, it's the price we pay to live in a society not run by bureaucrats who get to decided your fate.

I did get out of jury duty once due to a long-planned hunt with a friend. I simply volunteered to be added to the next month's jury pool.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
sorry for my johnr profanity at least I never shit by someone else's icehouse.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always try to lay my turd right next to the door, so when stepping in and out, it is a slipping hazard...haha
:;:

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thats because of all the crime in Mandan. Move to Bismarck & you will be summoned much less.:::

ffjr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I have been summoned at the same time and both ended up on the 12 person jury for a day and half trial. I never thought that could happened but it did.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31