just got myself into the downrigger crowd

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a couple of used cannon mini-mag downriggers (electric) and I have a couple questions as to what people are using...

1. what size cannon balls are people dropping? looking at the 8 or 10lb

2. how does this flasher / dodger crap work?

3. squid? is that natural forage in sak? can't I just run crank baits?

4. what kind of clips / releases work best and probably going to run 15lb power pro (4lb diameter)

5. rod selection will a couple of my shorter scheels trolling rods work just fine?

6. is there a better line option? and if you answer this with mono I want scientific proof that it is the best option :;:stirthepot

Blitzkrieg

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a couple of used cannon mini-mag downriggers (electric) and I have a couple questions as to what people are using...

1. what size cannon balls are people dropping? looking at the 8 or 10lb

2. how does this flasher / dodger crap work?

3. squid? is that natural forage in sak? can't I just run crank baits?

4. what kind of clips / releases work best and probably going to run 15lb power pro (4lb diameter)

5. rod selection will a couple of my shorter scheels trolling rods work just fine?

6. is there a better line option? and if you answer this with mono I want scientific proof that it is the best option :;:stirthepot

10 pound downrigger ball is better than 8. The lighter the ball the more it lifts back up when you are trolling. I think most use flashers, I know I do. I run a squid or a herring behind it. I run the flasher normally about 10 feet behind the ball. I have better luck on squids and herring, you can run herring with out a flasher with the herring hoods. They are designed so you can hook the first hook a little in front of the tail and pull the line tight a little. It creates a curve to the herring and gives it a nice roll as you are trolling it. Sometimes spoons do well but the only time I use cranks is when I long line for the shallow ones. I like the scotty releases, especially if you want to use braid. They seem to hold tighter than the others and braid slips out of them easier than mono it seems. I would go heavier than 15 pound test, when they hit it to release it from the ball they put a pretty good wallup to it. I imagine your scheels trolling rods may work. My rods are 8 and a half feet long.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just run hoop nets behind my boat at night when everyone else is sleeping

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll start tying up nets tonight, hell with the downriggin gear. Just get some rope that will get us down 100ft.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was using braid before but went to mono instead, lot less headaches. If/when you get a frickn mess it's much easier to deal with, you'll want 50# to keep from false trips, I like my 20# mono, little bit of stretch helps with the initial shock of being grabbed. Don't waste time and money on trolling spoons or flies,3 seasons and not a hit on either for me, regular large spoons do produce at times.

And yes...many days I've considered nets a way better option when you drive over and over them all day and see them just piled up down there

if you already have counter reels and are questioning rods wade @ Dakota hooked me up with the 8 1/2' Daiwa rods for about $20

Last edited:

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have diawa sealine reels... just didn't know if my leadcore trolling rods would work for downriggers... i have an extra 8' and 5' that I don't use

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have diawa sealine reels... just didn't know if my leadcore trolling rods would work for downriggers... i have an extra 8' and 5' that I don't use

The 5 footer is too short. You have to put a good bend in the rod once your ball is at the right depth, etc. The bend in the rod is what snaps up the slack, and sets the hook when a fish pulls the line out of the release.

The length of line behind the ball dictates how big of a roll the flasher puts on the squid. More line out behind the ball = a bigger slower roll. Flasher closer to the ball makes a smaller tighter faster roll.

This is the complete sum of what I remember from downrigging back in the early 90's.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend who does lots of salmon fishing on the Lake Michigan and he uses mono and copper line on all his rods. Salmon give such vicious headshakes and I would have to think having the stretch in mono helps when fighting a fish.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone run "Naked" cranks or flies on riggers or SWR's?? Those worked pretty well for us on lakers in LOW.

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to run power pro I would highly suggest not using the traditional releases. We tried that a few years back and the power pro would slip out the of the release all the time. But big jon makes these rubberband releases that I think would be perfect for braid. We use them with mono, but I don't see why braid wouldn't work with them. The best part about the rubberband release is that when a fish hits he will never feel that big 10 pound weight because the rubberband will absorb that initial shock compared to the traditional releases.

500-1.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to run power pro I would highly suggest not using the traditional releases. We tried that a few years back and the power pro would slip out the of the release all the time. But big jon makes these rubberband releases that I think would be perfect for braid. We use them with mono, but I don't see why braid wouldn't work with them. The best part about the rubberband release is that when a fish hits he will never feel that big 10 pound weight because the rubberband will absorb that initial shock compared to the traditional releases.

500-1.jpg

How does this work? Does the line just break the rubber band? I like it, but don't see how it operates.

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does this work? Does the line just break the rubber band? I like it, but don't see how it operates.
So basically this release will attach just above your cannonball instead of behind it like a traditional release. When a fish hits he will break the rubberband thus releasing the line from the downrigger. So what I do is put a loop in your line like shown below (this helps eliminate the rubber band "slipping" down to the flasher) then you run the rubberband thru the loop and then around itself. Before pulling everything tight make sure you wet the line and rubberband to avoid burning either of them. The free end of the rubberband hooks into the big jon release
image.jpg

Last edited:

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks... i was trying to figure that out also and it led me to watching a pile of youtube downrigger videos

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
My only experience down rigging is in a buddy's boat on LOTW trolling for walleyes with crankbaits. The first year we downrigged he had Off-Shore Tackle brand releases like this:

OR4_WEB2.jpg

I didn't care much for this style release. It would often trip if you let the ball down just a little too fast. The next year he switched to these releases.

500-1.jpg

They are called "Black's Downrigger Release Clip". They worked a lot better and rarely would ever accidentally release. You can adjust the tension very easily so it's tight enough not to accidentally trip but not so tight small fish can't trip them. We strictly used mono which worked really well with these releases. Just twirl the line a few times to form a loop, insert into open release and then close release.

I think we were using 10 lb balls in anywhere from 32-36 feet of water. They seem to stay pretty vertical going around 2-3 MPH.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84