K Drill on a propane power head?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Wondering if anyone here has tried a kdrill bit on their gas powerhead? Got rid of my 10" bit for my eskimo propane, going to go to an 8" bit. I have a strikemaster chipper bit on there right now, but I think the eskimo head turns too slow for a chipper blade as its a pretty slow cut. Thinking going back to the shaver type blade of an eskimo bit might be the way to go, but the kdrill looks pretty tempting too...just wondering if I'll be disappointed with the cutting speed of the kdrill on that eskimo auger.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I ran the strikemaster chipper on my Eskimo as well, and it is slooooooow. The quantum blades are quite quick.

My buddy has a 4 stroke powerhead on a k-drill. He added 2 extra pieces of flighting, to help clear the hole. It works really well, and quite light.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran the strikemaster chipper on my Eskimo as well, and it is slooooooow. The quantum blades are quite quick.

My buddy has a 4 stroke powerhead on a k-drill. He added 2 extra pieces of flighting, to help clear the hole. It works really well, and quite light.
Honda Powerhead?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
The kdrill has a pair of blades similar to the quantum bits, so maybe it wouldn't be bad. I'm going to see if Scheels will let me return it if I don't like the way it performs and give it a try I think.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think the k-drill requires a rather high RPM. so, if your issue currently is "too slow", i would be a bit leery.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have an 8" K drill on a Tanaka powerhead and it cuts very well. Not far off of my 8" nilsmaster when I was running that.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Well I'll have a report after the weekend, Scheels said if it didn't perform how I expected that I would be able to return it, so I picked up an 8" K Drill on lunch and we'll see how she does this weekend.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
It should work good. What are the rpms of the auger your putting on it?

KBV

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a strike lite 4 stroke power head on an 8" k-drill and it works great. The only thing I did was add two more pieces of flighting to the k-drill and alternated the flighting so it was more like the flighting on a normal auger. I didn't have to add the flighting until the ice got 24" or thicker. I had the ice chips bind up on me a couple times because I wasn't clearing the hole out often enough when drilling. The extra pieces of flighting helped to solve that problem. It drills way faster than the strikemaster chipper. I'd say it's pretty darn close to the speed of the lazer blades, but without the worries of dull blades because of dirty ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31