Kentucky man shoots down drone

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah but tuching off rounds in town is going to land you in jail just about everywhere!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the courts will find his shooting the drone down was fine due to privacy rights. Shooting in town will be an issue. I have vowed to shoot any drone over my property. I live in the country so no problem there. We have a right to protect our privacy. I think the courts will rule on that side.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the courts will find his shooting the drone down was fine due to privacy rights. Shooting in town will be an issue. I have vowed to shoot any drone over my property. I live in the country so no problem there. We have a right to protect our privacy. I think the courts will rule on that side.

Just watch out.....anything above 30 yards is debatable legal airspace for them right now. Odds are the gray area in airspace rights I.E. 85 to 500 feet will get pounded out here soon enough but you pop one at 175 yards your going to jail!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just watch out.....anything above 30 yards is debatable legal airspace for them right now. Odds are the gray area in airspace rights I.E. 85 to 500 feet will get pounded out here soon enough but you pop one at 175 yards your going to jail!
you'd have to be pretty good to shoot one at 175 yards with a rifle. But honestly I'd give it a try. it's not legal to fly/operate aircraft under 500 feet over occupied buildings. That's an FAA regulation. So you have that going for you in court at least. Some things are worth doing to run through the courts. Now days you have no idea who could be running that drone and for what purpose. People can use them to case your property and you wouldn't even know it. So under 500' I'm gonna try to dust it.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for him. I can just see the operator and his buddies giggling about how awesome they are spying on the neighborhood. Got what they deserved. I think drones are pretty cool though. Almost bought one til I got the feeling that if anyone saw me using it they'd think I was some weirdo spying on them.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a water hose would take one down, if low enough.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just think off all the drones flying around the Grand Forks area with the huge UAV park they're building. Will be able to dove and drone hunt all in the same day :;:smokin

Actually I think the idea of ordering something off Amazon and having it delivered in a couple hours is pretty cool.

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not real sure about this one, if it is considered shooting down an aircraft, he could be in some real trouble. I think drones have their place, however, there needs to be regulations governing their safe operation. Flying them as to interfere with air traffic, such as the one that hindered fire fighting a few weeks back should have criminal penalties, as should spying on your neighbors. I would not be happy having one hovering over my back yard and am sure it would have some kind of an accident too. I guess I will buy one at some point,but I have enough open country to be able to use it without pissing off my neighbors.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not real sure about this one, if it is considered shooting down an aircraft, he could be in some real trouble. I think drones have their place, however, there needs to be regulations governing their safe operation. Flying them as to interfere with air traffic, such as the one that hindered fire fighting a few weeks back should have criminal penalties, as should spying on your neighbors. I would not be happy having one hovering over my back yard and am sure it would have some kind of an accident too. I guess I will buy one at some point,but I have enough open country to be able to use it without pissing off my neighbors.
FAA says it's illegal to operate an aircraft below 500' over buildings. I don't think these will meet the definition of aircraft until they reach a certain size. You don't honestly think shooting down someones remote controlled helicopter or plane would be illegal do you? You could get into a civil suit maybe but I don't think a legal issue. Do we call everything a drone now? I think there is no doubt going to be a federal battle over this stuff now. And it's probably due. These so called drones have to operate under FAA rules from what I understand. It's going to be interesting. I think in the end a person will be allowed to protect his airspace above his home to a certain altitude.

muddy11

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. It was hovering over his house while his daughter was sunbathing, she waved it off and it came back. The operator should be charged with Peeping or whatever KY has similar.
2. He was charged with "wanton endangerment first degree and criminal mischief"…because I fired the shotgun into the air.” That will get your arrested in any city. Doesn't mean it will get prosecuted or conviction.

I love this part though:Mr. Merideth said four men tried to confront him after the drone was shot out of the sky, but then changed their minds when they saw his personal firearms.“I had my 40 mm [sic] Glock on me and they started toward me and I told them, ‘If you cross my sidewalk, there’s gonna be another shooting,’” Mr. Merideth told the station.

Some jackhole comes and uses a drone to watch my daughter in the yard sunbathing I'd do the same thing. Except I'm out of city limits and don't have a sidewalk they have to cross. ;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74