Lamb cooking

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep saying I'm going to try a leg of lamb on the smoker, just have to go buy one and get it over with

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lamb with a thyme seasoning and Cabernet sauce. A well cooked leg is good. But a rack cooked Medium rare is delicious! Can't wait for Easter.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to work up the courage to try one. I've never ordered it, never even tried to make it.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to work up the courage to try one. I've never ordered it, never even tried to make it.

I've had chops twice. Once at an Outback, they where ok I guess and the second was a steakhouse in Billings Montana and they were very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually the Montana ones were t-bone cuts I believe

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought about ordering lamb once then I flipped the menu over and it said beef...I've never looked back

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only time I ever wanted to run away from home when I was a kid was when we had to eat mutton. Might be that Mom wasn't cooking it right but I thought it was horrible. Rounding them up and shearing was bad too, I was scared of them. Wave your arms the Old man would say. It was predictable that the first one would jump over me and the second one knocked me over and the rest ran over me.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only time I ever wanted to run away from home when I was a kid was when we had to eat mutton. Might be that Mom wasn't cooking it right but I thought it was horrible. Rounding them up and shearing was bad too, I was scared of them. Wave your arms the Old man would say. It was predictable that the first one would jump over me and the second one knocked me over and the rest ran over me.

lol, I have some childhood memories of helping castrate sheep, last time I helped I was picked to be the sheep holder. Holding them wasn't hard or bad. Watching that old man slice the bottom of their sack off, pulling both nuts out and chucking every which way was a little unsettling. But when he would grab this big chrome pliers looking thing and crush each nut inside the sack, I think I wept.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Helped shear about 200 head once. After we were done and I was heading for home I stripped down to the tighty white before I got in my car. Left my clothes in a pile by the car and told my then father-in-law to burn them. It was the spring time and about 30 out and I didn't care. Just thinking about that puts a bad taste in my mouth.;:;barf

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had lamb several times over the past couple years and it was delicious every time. I find myself ordering Lamb now when i'm traveling just to have something different. Lamb chops, Lamb shank, Lamb dip sandwich, all great. Big difference between Lamb at a decent restaurant, and Mutton(adult sheep) i would have to imagine.

I have never cooked it myself, but i need to try some chops on the grill.

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leg is good, but chops or a rack of lamb is the best. The stuff is super spendy, though. You need to cook lamb on the rare side for sure.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rack of land coooked rare is excellent. Treat it almost like wild game. If you over cook it, you’ve killed it twice. Raised a lot of sheep when I was young. I understand your guys’ aversion to it. Thankfully I was able to overcome it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems lamb has entered the delicacy arena,sure is spendy these days,8 bone rack is $55 in my area,not long ago I paid $20 or so.A good wine marinade,rosemary sprigs,chopped garlic and whatever else ya can think of seared over hot coals and cherry wood is killer.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems lamb has entered the delicacy arena,sure is spendy these days,8 bone rack is $55 in my area,not long ago I paid $20 or so.A good wine marinade,rosemary sprigs,chopped garlic and whatever else ya can think of seared over hot coals and cherry wood is killer.

Yes, snow, rosemary and lamb are made for each other. Well, I think you just helped me figure out my New Years menu. Thanks!

257Bob

Founding Member
Founding Member
tried the lambchops at Fogo in big mpls. couldn't stand it. the beef, on the other hand, was wonderful.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Jeez, I should go into business at those prices. Could sell mutton and buy prime beef and still have money left over.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with ya Musky,Got a rack just itchin to jump on the grill this weekend.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love lamb. If cooked right. I buy boneless legs whenever I get to a Costco. Season with a garlic herb past. Reverse sear on the Egg. The smoke tames the flavor down a bit. Then I like to make a mint and gorgonzola cheese cream sauce.

LRG_DSC00440.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00446.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 52