Representative Dockter

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like they did to Trump in New York, defrauded no one, and got hit with a 400,000,000+ fine...
completely different situation. trump was a private citizen not an elected official. Trump didn’t get to vote or make the final decision on the loans Trump had a disclaimer to check for themselves, the banks said it wouldn’t have changed the loan, trump defrauded no one while this guy defrauded the state of North Dakota.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
When one is given authority and power by the public and they abuse that authority the consequences should be severe.
Someone should introduce a bill next session that would call for double the maximum penalty for any crime committed by a member of the state legislature. We’d see real fast who doesn’t think they are capable of flying a straightened arrow by the way they vote.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone should introduce a bill next session that would call for double the maximum penalty for any crime committed by a member of the state legislature. We’d see real fast who doesn’t think they are capable of flying a straightened arrow by the way they vote.
Hahaha. You’ll never see that kind of bill from a republican controlled legislature. Just like the impotent republican controlled ethics committee. Dream on.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hahaha. You’ll never see that kind of bill from a republican controlled legislature. Just like the impotent republican controlled ethics committee. Dream on.

Know of many Democrat-led legislatures that have passed something along this line?

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Know of many Democrat-led legislatures that have passed something along this line?
I was talking about North Dakota. Why must we always try to deflect rather than take responsibility. Is it a maga thing?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was talking about North Dakota. Why must we always try to deflect rather than take responsibility. Is it a maga thing?
I too am talking about ND, or any similar state. There's no deflection here. Either the Dems have moved to prevent this in the future or they haven't.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a CPA or anything but can't they write off lease costs vs ownership?

Umm, write offs are for taxpayers, not tax collectors.

There are a couple of reasons the State leases office space versus building their own. First and foremost, this is a state inhabited by mostly Republicans. Republicans as a general rule, want to contract out as much of government functions as possible. In this example, they would prefer to see a private enterprise make a buck out of renting to the state.

Secondly, and somewhat irrespective of the above, renting allows the State to be more nimble (well, as nimble as government can be) when it comes to a changing workforce. If you build, that's a long-term commitment and comes with risk, both natural and economic. Thus, the State can always pull out and go a cheaper route at the end of the rental term.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Umm, write offs are for taxpayers, not tax collectors.

There are a couple of reasons the State leases office space versus building their own. First and foremost, this is a state inhabited by mostly Republicans. Republicans as a general rule, want to contract out as much of government functions as possible. In this example, they would prefer to see a private enterprise make a buck out of renting to the state.

Secondly, and somewhat irrespective of the above, renting allows the State to be more nimble (well, as nimble as government can be) when it comes to a changing workforce. If you build, that's a long-term commitment and comes with risk, both natural and economic. Thus, the State can always pull out and go a cheaper route at the end of the rental term.
Tax collectors from my understanding still pay taxes on their property do they not? As an example if the state of nd owns 4 acres of land that property still has taxes due for it.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe you are correct. The ndgnf pays tax for each acre owned or in a wma to the state. What’s funny is the thought that government entities use tax money collected to pay taxes on property that taxes are used to maintain. That’s like scooping water out of the pool and pouring it back in and saying you filled it up 🤷‍♂️😂
Tax collectors from my understanding still pay taxes on their property do they not? As an example if the state of nd owns 4 acres of land that property still has taxes due for it

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
NDGF often makes what they call PILT (payments in-lieu of taxes) for WMAs and other pieces of land that farmers didn't want to see taken away from agricultural production and property tax payments to the county. Again, those payments go to counties, not the state of ND. SOme in the ag community were pretty adamant about this.

While there may be other state-owned properties that make some form of payments in-lieu of property tax to counties and/or cities I don't know about, these are still something akin to property taxes. Are there deductions or write-offs in the world of property taxes I don't know about?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the employees the state has telecommuting, why would they even need more office space? Use what they have.
widespread studies based on standard measures of efficiency have found that fully remote employees are 10% to 20% less productive than those working on company premises.

State employees are not known for their production do you want them to accomplish even less than they do when on site ?

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
widespread studies based on standard measures of efficiency have found that fully remote employees are 10% to 20% less productive than those working on company premises.

State employees are not known for their production do you want them to accomplish even less than they do when on site ?
What?!! You mean our state employees aren’t the hardest working bunch west of the Mississippi? Coulda fooled me 🤷‍♂️😆

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What?!! You mean our state employees aren’t the hardest working bunch west of the Mississippi? Coulda fooled me 🤷‍♂️😆
Ha I know this is city but very similar..another thread talked about how bad the traffic lights were...there was a city employee on here reading the complaints....how did that turn out? Good example of hard worker trying to solve problems for the tax payor....we need less govt.. 😆

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 198
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57