Stenehjem's emails recovered

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will we finally find out the truth on the building overruns and just how good of friends him and Holmberg were?.... we shall see.

https://www.inforum.com/news/north-...ney-general-found-2-years-after-being-deleted
Wait... I just saw an article where it was decided that "no charges will be filed" against the gal who worked for him and just decided on a whim to delete them THE DAY AFTER HE DIED.

Also - I laughed when I heard they were "irretrievably gone". You know that NSA, or some alphabet agency has every email sent by everyone - stored away in one of those monstrous data stores out in the desert.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
April Baumgarten
By April Baumgarten
March 01, 2024 at 12:46 PM
Comments
News reporting

This article is free to access.​

We've opened this article to everyone as a public service. Please consider supporting our work. View subscription offers

BISMARCK — Charges will not be filed in connection to the deletion of former Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem’s emails.

In a memorandum obtained Friday, March 1, by The Forum, Mountrail County State’s Attorney Wade Enget said there is not enough evidence to warrant charges against anyone involved in deleting Stenehjem’s emails shortly after the attorney general died two years ago.

Stenehjem was the attorney general from 2000 through Jan. 28, 2022, when he died in Bismarck. His family said he died from cardiac arrest.

An autopsy was not performed on his body.

Days after his death, Stenehjem’s spokeswoman Liz Brocker asked an information technology employee to delete her boss’ email account. Former Deputy Attorney General Troy Seibel signed off on the request.
Attorney General Drew Wrigley was appointed to succeed Stenehjem in February 2022. Seibel resigned a month later, and Brocker left the office in July 2022 following reports of the email deletion.

At the time the emails were deleted, North Dakota law was unclear on whether emails were considered a government record, Enget said in the memo. Communication must be defined as a “government record” to be considered part of a crime that alleges a person tampered with public records.

Electronic mail, or email, was not listed as a record in North Dakota law in 2022, Enget noted. The North Dakota Legislature amended the law last year to include emails as a public record.

Wrigley also suggested no laws were broken since the Attorney General’s Office had no pending records request for any of Stenehjem's emails before they were deleted.

Consultants determined the emails are not recoverable.

Enget said he based his decision on information from the Montana Division of Criminal Investigation. Wrigley asked the Montana office to review a $1.7 million budget overrun that occurred during Stenehjem’s tenure. The costs were associated with a lease procurement for office space.

The report also noted an investigation into the deleted emails.

Enget said his review of the lease case is still open. North Dakota Rep. Jason Dockter, R-Bismarck, has been charged with misdemeanor speculating or wagering on an official action for personal benefit.

An audit found he and his business partners secured a lease to provide office space to Stenehem’s office.

Brocker's attorney, Tom Dickson, said he was not surprised by the decision. He determined early on that deleting the emails was not a crime, adding that the law passed in 2023 is not retroactive.

"The law at the time was pretty clear, and it wasn't (a) crime," Dickson said.

Last edited:

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
This whole this has been about as corrupt as DC. I am about 99% sure that the lady that had the emails deleted is now employed by the Burleigh County States Attorney .. WTF

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
From what I have read , the info came from his cell phone ,not the state computers. A download was done for pics and the software saved everything including the emails off the phone

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is really messed up IMO. They had these emails for 6 months but they don't inform the public until after they decide not to charge anyone? Seems too convenient to me. Can't wait to see what's in those emails, if we ever get to see them I guess. The more I hear about this the more I think Stenehjem offed himself.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is really messed up IMO. They had these emails for 6 months but they don't inform the public until after they decide not to charge anyone? Seems too convenient to me. Can't wait to see what's in those emails, if we ever get to see them I guess. The more I hear about this the more I think Stenehjem offed himself.
It takes six months to go through that many and delete the ones that make things complicated 😆

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
From people I know close to him... his wife found him unconscious and called 9-1-1. I thought there was something within the circle of heads at the top pointing to something about a heart attack.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
From people I know close to him... his wife found him unconscious and called 9-1-1. I thought there was something within the circle of heads at the top pointing to something about a heart attack.
With no autopsy noone will ever know for sure though, could have been an overdose too or any number of things.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious here, but what does one think could be found in the emails of the deceased?

It would seem to me that no law appears to be broken by the deletion of the email account, but it sure has brought a perception of impropriety. We've had a number of AGs in ND since the invention of email. Can I petition someone, somewhere, to get Heidi's emails? Or, were they also deleted and nobody cared?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you have any doubt about the glaring corruption and cover up, read this report before commenting.

Screenshot_20240305-142534_Drive.jpg

https://www.nd.gov/auditor/sites/ww...ort of the Office of the Attorney General.pdf

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84