Late ice pike

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What is your go to tactic for late ice pike? Shallow or deep? Flats or breaks? Up close to a running stream or back off it aways?

3 and 4 years ago we did very well during the late ice period for big pike. But these last 2 years have been a struggle for us. We have not changed our tactics or spots so looking for ideas on what to try different. We usually are on small flats off of points, "corners" in the shoreline, or slow breaks on the shorelines. We use smelts close to the bottom or halfway up the water column, usually try to stay in 6-15fow.
Any thoughts or help is appreciated!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Shallow shallow shallow, back in the bays, for me. Tip ups, but I also can't help but jig it up on a pole as well.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, they move in shallow late ice. We used to go up to Warroad, get on around spring steel and catch hog 24 to 44 inch pike almost all day on tip ups, just took turns with about 6 of us running to the flags. That way we all had action going all day. Was a blast.
I have a 20lbr on the wall from back in 1990, the first trip up there.

Haven't targeted them since moving west, might take the boy out and see if we can do a tip up day, since I pretty much put away all my winter gear.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
As shallow as in a foot or less sometimes... Slough fishing I like to use a mix of hot dogs, herring and smelt on quick strike rigs. Rip both ends off the (cheapest brand you can find) hotdog to let the juices flow.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any particular bottom substance to key in on? Do they prefer mud or gravel? I have read that they prefer to spawn in flooded timber or grasses.

tomasz20

Established Member
shallow bays 3 to 6 ft with access to the main deep water to the lake. and also go to bay you know have weeds in them in the summer/fall. and In a river go off the edge of the current in the slack water. Im making a video on tips and locations to catching big pike once its done I will post it on the fourm.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cool video. You're getting some big pike this year! Unfortunately I checked some ice yesterday on Sakakawea and it is about done for the year. Ice has pulled away from shore about 5-10 ft. I was able to get on at one spot with some good ice, but 30 ft away, out from shore, ice was 100% honeycomb and it felt like I was walking on a trampoline. Needless to say I got off really quick.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 22