Lawn fertilizing/spraying options?

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for recommendations for a spraying/fertilizing business that does a decent job without breaking the bank for my residential lawn. Got one estimate for a 5 application treatment and was an astronomical amount of money...

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use FertiLawn (sp?) in Bismarck. We have 2+ acres along the Missouri. We do 5 apps / year. Our request is to apply fertilizer only and not herbicide. We also request that they do not apply nitrogen within 15 feet of shoreline. Not sure that any of this actually makes a difference, however it makes me feel a bit better. Point being, they are very accommodating. I believe that we paid around $435 last year which is about what DIY would cost. Advantage for us is that it gets done at regular intervals vs when I have time which keeps our yard green and healthy all summer.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20200311-130139_Amazon Shopping.jpg I picked up this 12v on Amazon, then mounted a reciever hitch to the front of my zero turn mower. It does my two acres in about ten minutes.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I read there was that you want to spend less time hunting and fishing. Hit it with some Sahara and use the money saved for a new bow. Thank me laterThumbs Up
I was going to say he must like mowing. Never understood why people pamper their fricking grass. Gotta be a city slicker thing.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use FertiLawn (sp?) in Bismarck. We have 2+ acres along the Missouri. We do 5 apps / year. Our request is to apply fertilizer only and not herbicide. We also request that they do not apply nitrogen within 15 feet of shoreline. Not sure that any of this actually makes a difference, however it makes me feel a bit better. Point being, they are very accommodating. I believe that we paid around $435 last year which is about what DIY would cost. Advantage for us is that it gets done at regular intervals vs when I have time which keeps our yard green and healthy all summer.

Good thought, but phosphorus is just as bad, if not worse than nitrogen for water quality. My guess is the company is using a 10-10-10 blend.
If someone is fertilizing the lawn, be sure to get a soil test. That way the proper amount (not too much or too little) is applied.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jesus, just do it your self. I spend 30-40$ on fertilizer, generic pellet Menards all purpose brand and a week later I start accusing the kids of playing Jumanji. For weeds I get the hose attached bottle of weed n feed once or twice a year, and keep a few trigger spray bottles around for when I'm bored n wanna walk around n shoot a stray dandelion or two.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get my fertilizer from Mandan Fertilizer, SE of town. They will custom mix whatever you want/need. Mostly I just put down Urea or Ammonium Nitrate during the summer. Usually once / year, spring or fall I will put down some 10/10/10 or similar, but you dont need P or K every time, most of it gets wasted anyway. Keep it in my shed in a plastic garbage can lined with a heavy leaf bag, only need to refill it every couple years. I got rid of my push fertilizer spreader a few years ago when I got one of these, really like it, makes it easy to do more light feedings, which is better for your lawn anyway... Wouldnt work for acres, but for most in town yards it is great.
solo.JPG

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 172
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57