Lead Core Line

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of you used lead core to troll crank baits deep? I am thinking of taking the plunge and looking for some do's and don'ts from someone that has used it.

Thanks in advance.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get 30 lb leadcore on a reel that will hold 7 colors. Run titanium for the leader. The slower you troll the deeper lead will go. Faster trolling will bow the line out and pull the lures up. Lead is super easy to run. You can also run bait rigs on leadcore too.

Loebs lake cabin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been running lead for many years and I usually have at least two lead lines out at all times, if I'm fishing in 5 fow or 40 fow I usually pull at least two. I run 10'6's and 7'6' scheels rods, which are decent and daiwa 47's with 18lb lead and 9 colors, 10 foot crystal leaders tied to the lead with #16 barrel swivel. Best thing you can do is get a couple of setups and go out and fish the more you do it the better you get, just like anything. Lead is an efficient way of being able to cover many different contours with one setup...I can start out shallow(under 10fow) with #5 shadraps and a minnow styled bait like a #7 flicker minnow or whatever and If I want to move over to the 20 foot contour I don't have to switch a thing besides let more line out which is a huge time saver for me. This year I have been running more 2/2 setups with smaller shad style baits on two lead core setups and two minnow styled baits like a Reef Runner or yo zuri 3d crystal minnow on crystal so I still can cover a lot of different depth if I need to. On Oahe our water is usually fairly stained so many times I run lures right in the prop wash and in fact I think at times it gets an even better reaction bite...everyone has a method that works for them, you just have to get a couple or 4..lol and start trollin...Good luck...it's very addicting....Josh

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would reccomend suffix 832 18lb micro lead. The line is a smaller diameter, and gets deeper much faster than typical braid. I can run #5 flickershads at 2.0mph, and get 22 feet deep by only letting out 110ft of line.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use Suffix 18lb or Cabelas 18lb leadcore. Get either a Diawa 47 or Shakespeare (really like the new Shakespeares in that if you crank the handle backwards when reeling in it cuts the drag in half if you have a big fish on) line counter reel. For the outside rods, I like 14 footers and for the inside rods either a 8 1/2 for a 5 1/2 shorty. The 14's on the outside really help cut down on lines catching each other during those times when your cranks need to bounce of the bottom or rocks. I like using a 20ft 14lb fireline lead and connect it to the leadcore with a Willis knot. The Willis knot feeds nicely.

Loebs lake cabin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing to think about when you have the lead figured out is snap weights...great tool...you can clip them to your lead and braid or mono, whatever you're running...I like to get away with letting the least amount of line out I have to so when you're pulling deeper lets say 30 plus snap weights or divers are a great way to reach the targeted depth with less line...for the most part on oahe I don't fish over 40 fow so I usually stick to lead unless I'm running a smaller shad style bait then a weight...Like I said, no one method is right for everyone, play with it and you'll come up with a system that you're comfortable with and that you have success with..good luck Josh

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not that impressed with my daiwa's..a couple of the counters stutter at times....as far as the longer rods, I've used 12's and 14's and they're nice for spread but that's about it..lol...if you're guiding or have more than two people in the boat it can be a mess especially if they're new to the long rods...and I've found that the 10'6s work just as well as far as getting lines crossed..but like I said, everyone has the setup the like to run and if it works for them..great...JMHO...Josh

Last edited:

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
30 lb goes deeper cuz its heavier.

Im not 100% sure but I believe the pound test only refers to the Nylon braid around the lead core. I believe the core is same size no matter of lb test. the high tests are just a thicker braid.

- - - Updated - - -

Lead core line is available in different pound-test lines. The breaking strength refers to the nylon sheath and not the weight of the line. 27-pound lead core is stronger than 18-pound lead core, but it is not heavier. During tests I've conducted I found that a 100-yard spool of 27-, 36- and 45-pound test lead core line weighed nearly the same with only .06 pounds difference in weight between the spools.

Comes from cabelas lead core buyers guide.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh really it isnt heavier? Hmm...

- - - Updated - - -

I know i switched from using 15 lb titanium leaders to 30 lbers so that i could cast better into the wind with the added weight of the heavier leader.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not 100% sure but I believe the pound test only refers to the Nylon braid around the lead core. I believe the core is same size no matter of lb test. the high tests are just a thicker braid.

- - - Updated - - -

Lead core line is available in different pound-test lines. The breaking strength refers to the nylon sheath and not the weight of the line. 27-pound lead core is stronger than 18-pound lead core, but it is not heavier. During tests I've conducted I found that a 100-yard spool of 27-, 36- and 45-pound test lead core line weighed nearly the same with only .06 pounds difference in weight between the spools.

Comes from cabelas lead core buyers guide.

I just looked at 14 lb, 27lb, and 36 lb cabelas leadcore 200 yard spools. There is a noticeable difference in the diameter and weight of the line. There is no doubt the larger leadcore is heavier. if trolling slow it will drop faster but on a faster troll probably close to a lighter lb test due to the increase in surface area on the line.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
could very well be. I just started using it this year and that was only what my research said. I took it with a grain of salt. Im running 18lb test because thats what the dive charts are for. makes it easy for me

ddancers

Hi
I saw this post so I wanted to chime in because for years I've had the same questions most who use lead core have, and I've finally tried to do something about it. I've created an App to help me overcome depth accuracy. On the subject of test weights when running tests it appeared that 18lb, 27lb, and 36lb test were very close to the same depth. The 36lb test actually did not sink as much in my tests. It was a small differences but I did incorporate it. I did not run as many test as I liked to have on line tests, and the LC was over a year old. I plan on running more tests this coming spring to verify results, and also see if the LC flat lines anywhere. I was using Sufix Performance for the tests, and use actual depth readings from 1.0 to 2.9 mph with up to 6 colors out to establish results. For the rest the App outputs I made use of the curve established by the actual depth readings. I know that different brands and types like Sufix 832 have different sink rates so I provided a compensator in the App so user can compensate accordingly for brands, or heavy lure weights. If anyone has some solid sink data, or good ideas please email to me. No such thing as too much data.
Anyway some may find it as useful as I did last season which I would fine very rewarding. Sorry charging $.99 hoping to recoup some of the related cost. No ads in App.

Lead Core Depth Calculator

Https://play.google.com/store/search?q=fishing lead core&c=apps

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
"I'm not that impressed with my daiwa's..a couple of the counters stutter at times"

Josh, how old are those Daiwas? I have one that 'stutters' as well and it is the newest Daiwa (17) I own. Just curious.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know they are expensive but Shimano Tekotas are the only line counters I use.

I tried Okuma cold waters and they were terrible in many ways.

Lots of videos on YouTube. The next bite guys and Jim Carol are L/C ninjas and an hour on YouTube could save you days on the water figuring out stuff on your own.

The old ND live guy, Gary ?? Has YouTube vids specifically for Sak, and D/L.

My 4 L/C rods are two 10'6" Gary roach lead and two scheels shortys.

Lots of ways to set up leaders, I use small ant swivels and 30' mono or 10# fireline. But the trick is the 30' leader get the leader on the reel before the fish gets to the boat.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Shimano Tekotas are on my wish list. I think it was Greg Schoneck. He does have excellent tips for LC and probably why I started using LC occasionally, his vids were a huge help.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Shimano Tekotas are on my wish list. I think it was Greg Schoneck. He does have excellent tips for LC and probably why I started using LC occasionally, his vids were a huge help.

Thats him, good dude. I own a ton of rip shads cause of him.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69