length of battery life fishing

1Bigdog

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am wondering how long should my starting battery last on a trip out fishing. I have a 2006 Yamaha 115, a Lowrance HDS8, Lowrance Elite 4, 2 live-wells, bilge pump, radio, lights....I think that is it. Everything except the trolling motor is hooked to my starting battery.
Most of the time, I fish with the electric trolling motor and my HDS 8. Some times I might have the radio on.
So, how long should the battery last while I am out fishing?
Currently, after about 2 hours of fishing, it will be dead and I can't start my big motor.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 3 'birds, livewell pump, radio, and start a 200 Yamaha after 8+hrs.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Make sure you have a pair of 16' jumper cables along. I learned the hardway a few years ago.

Honored Member
Same exact set up here and I have no problem starting up after 8 hrs

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run an hds 8 and bird 898 and get quite a bit out of that. I watch my voltage like a hawk. At 11.8, I start the big motor. I get a little paranoid about running out of juice. I even have a spare cranking battery with.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I idle my engine every hour or so out of habit. With modern electronics you can display your voltage all the time, decide on when you want to recharge. When mine gets below 12V I run engine for a bit. That way I don't have to charge when I get home. My dual bank charger only charges my trolling batteries. Wish I had a triple but not worth the hassle to install one.

- - - Updated - - -

I find this 8 plus hours stuff amazing BTW. My fishing style doesn't allow 8 hours of no main engine. New color daylight visible displays are power hogs. Crazy that a starter battery lasts that long.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can choose to add an entry to your main Lowrance unit to display your voltage. When you see it dropping below 8v, then idle your engine so that the alternator can put some life back into your battery. However, if you're already dying that early it's definitely the end of life cycle for your battery. I'm betting the battery is 4yrs or older, or you don't keep it topped off between trips (or winter) and let it stay bottomed out too long?? Just curious.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I look for a battery with descent cranking amps with a lot of reserve capacity. I also have a set of 20 foot jumper cables in each boat in order to jump from the trolling batteries or another boat in a pinch.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
battery needs to be replaced, like Ahab said descent cranking amps lot of reserve cap.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need a new battery. Get a portable jumper to have with, they make little lithium ones that are about the size of a phone. Also a pair of jumpers to reach your trolling motor batteries. If the battery is in good shape, you should be able to fish for an entire day and not have to worry about it.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned quickly that I needed two battery's in my yarcraft. one for running all the secondary gear and ones who's only job was starting the boat....and don't even get me started on the four big ass battery's for the 24 volt trolling motor. Made things far more relaxing when I didn't have to worry about the charge of the starter battery when out for the day. If it was me in would buy a new battery and keep the old one as a set aside starter battery. I would however pop the caps and make sure she's filled properly and do a few hard cycles with her do try and clear what old deposits you can....which probably won't be much in that old of a battery but anything helps.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't need a triple. I run a dual bank to charge the trolling batteries and a single bank to top off the starting battery. All you have to do is run an extension cord under your floor up into the storage compartment where your dual bank is stored, then use a
41z9PeB1XdL.jpg

Voila, one cord to plug in and all three batteries are being charged, all the while keeping your systems separate.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, my older Lowrance P.O.S. 480 has a voltage display on it, but it is pure crap. Even when the battery is new and fully charged it only registers around 12 V. A new 12V battery when charged is more like 12.6V, or with the engine running it can be up to around 13 - 14V, or something dumb like that.

I NEVER see numbers that high on my Lowrance. It used to cause great consternation with me, but I've learned to ignore the damn Lowrance's advertised voltage.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned quickly that I needed two battery's in my yarcraft. one for running all the secondary gear and ones who's only job was starting the boat....and don't even get me started on the four big ass battery's for the 24 volt trolling motor. Made things far more relaxing when I didn't have to worry about the charge of the starter battery when out for the day. If it was me in would buy a new battery and keep the old one as a set aside starter battery. I would however pop the caps and make sure she's filled properly and do a few hard cycles with her do try and clear what old deposits you can....which probably won't be much in that old of a battery but anything helps.

What is a hard cycle ? fast drain till dead then charge back up ?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your kicker motor will charge the battery too, and doesn't take shit for battery to start. If you don't have a kicker, your motor will have a pull cord under the hood, its amazing how easy a 225hp motor will actually start with the little spare rope.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28