Lilac advice

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
my wife and i (me) are putting in a short row of lilacs about 90' worth. thinking of buying established potted plants vs bareroot and planting every 4'. Any advice or thoughts? thx

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Planted a few in my backyard many years ago. They were about 3' apart. Plenty close as they can really spread out. Love the smell of them in the spring when blooming. Seems to me that they are fairly easy to get going. Once established they can get pretty big. Didn't keep mine trimmed very well and they finally quit blooming. Last spring cut them back right to the ground. They regrew about 3' last summer and are now about 4-5' and blossoming this spring. Gregoran, I think is his name, has a good YouTube video on pruning lilacs.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted mine every 3 feet, bought them conservation grade. They are on their 3rd year now and most are within a few inches of touching each other, and around 3 feet tall. I have sandy soil, planted them in 4’ wide fabric from the soil conservation. Lilacs are great from small birds and make good snow fences. I’d definitely plant them again.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go bareroot, they will catch up to the potted for sure so the extra money for potted is not worth it. Break up the soil surrounding them real good and put down good weedmat, it WILL make a difference. I’ve planted an abundance of all different trees so know first hand the more care you take in planting and maintaining them (water/weed) the higher chance of more rapid growth and survival. A few years back i planted an L shaped row of liliacs, one part of the L I used a dibble bar to put the bare roots in and no weed mat and the other half I dug holes laid mat and those lilacs are twice the size

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
When you can always go bareroot. Much better for the plants, growth with outperform potted ones over the years. This Friday, June 6th the Burleigh County Soil Conservation District is having their surplus sale. You can get 2-3 foot lilacs for 1.75, They might have some larger ones for up to 4.75 a tree. They also have many other varieties, as well as fabric and staples. Within a couple years of good care these small trees should be 5+ foot tall and almost equal as wide. I can give direction and time of the sale if your interested.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you can always go bareroot. Much better for the plants, growth with outperform potted ones over the years. This Friday, June 6th the Burleigh County Soil Conservation District is having their surplus sale. You can get 2-3 foot lilacs for 1.75, They might have some larger ones for up to 4.75 a tree. They also have many other varieties, as well as fabric and staples. Within a couple years of good care these small trees should be 5+ foot tall and almost equal as wide. I can give direction and time of the sale if your interested.

Is that out at the menoken shop? Id also recommend going with bare root, freal!

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted mine 4 feet apart and that has worked out well. If you live in the country, deer can be a problem. They will shred them in the fall with their antlers and eat the buds off in the spring before everything else greens up. Good luck.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member

if that out at buckstop junction?

- - - Updated - - -

if that out at buckstop junction?
Where is the Menoken shop? thx

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
There is a map on the website, https://menokenfarm.com/contact/

from Bismarck, go east on 94, take exit 170 Turn right onto 158th (0.9 mile), left on old 10 (1 mile), right on 171st St NE (0.5 mile), farm will be on your left. The sale starts around 8:30 and goes until 4.

You will not need a trailer to pick things up. These will come bareroot and we easily fit 100 trees in a 50 gal trash bag.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have just under a mile on the outside row of tree rows, go NOT over 4' between them, takes to long to come to a good snow fence, Last few years I have been going 3' apart, Yes on bareroot. I wish the bucks would trash them, and leave my ponderosa pines alone !

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84