Line Preferece?

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
what is everyone using? perch? walleye? I am an old school mono guy thinking about changing to braid with flouro leader but have heard a couple nightmares about flourocarbon as well. Thanks

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really starti g to like the suffix 832 ice with a mono leader. Summer still going with power pro.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Power pro ice tec is my go to. It is nice when fishing outside and you need to clear your line of ice. Rigged one of my rods with suffix 832 so we will see how that works in comparison

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice fishing strictly mono. Braid and floro are a pain in the kester below freezing.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have both. Berkley micro ice and I also have quite a few rods with Fireline Crystal on them. I always put around a 20 inch mono leader on the fireline. Both seem to work fine.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mono. 4 lb for jigging, 4 & 6 lb for dead sticks

2p7rb9.jpg

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of my rods have Flouro all the way 3-5lb gills to walleye rods. The couple that have Northland on them I think is actually mono with a coating on them and seems to have less memory. I will say on the flouro rods put a the smallest SPRO swivel to a leader to help with any line twists an memory problems from the spool

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I just use straight braid Suffix 832. Tried power pro and one of the other braids, but liked 832 the best. I rarely fish outside of my flipover so freezing isn't an issue for me.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm looking at converting all of mine to braid over the new year as well. Probably Suffix 832. I'm with revolutionz, I rarely fish outside when it's really cold, and if I do leap frogging; outside hole to house to different hole and back to house. I'll use a fluoro leader on all my rods being they won't run up into the spool anyways.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
4-6lb mono on the bobber rods
10 lb Suffix braid on walleye rods with fluorocarbon leader
couple rods for just perch with 4lb mono

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m about ready to ditch all braid on my ice rods other than maybe one or two rods I only use in the shack. Even last weekend in beautiful weather my fireline was icing up a bit. Maybe I need to grab some suffix and give that a try as a last resort.

A guy puts braid on the expensive rods to take advantage of the sensitivity and then I end up putting them down for my scheels rods with mono half the time because of the braid freeze. :mad:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31