Favorite Braided Fishing Line

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only time I’ve gotten wind knots was when I had the spool overfilled. Both power pro and suffix 832
Not sure what a wind knot is -- but backlash or birds nest ----- believe me you can be the best of the best and you will screw up once in a while.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you liked nanofill captn you should try ardent gliss monotex for your jigging rods
Gliss is alright. It’s a much smaller diameter compared to Nanofil in the same lb test rating. I think it frays a bit more as well. I’ll likely try another spool.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes that's what I have been reading up online to just too delicate like the nonfil, I did like because it doesn't absorb water like other braids.
Gliss is alright. It’s a much smaller diameter compared to Nanofil in the same lb test rating. I think it frays a bit more as well. I’ll likely try another spool.

WalleyeWalloper

Always just used 8# power pro with the cheapest 10# mono I can find for a backer. Never had problems so I’ve never tried anything different even though most of my friends that guide on lake of the woods swear by suffix 832

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use fireline on everything, cheap mono backers on my line counters. For jigging, or casting jig raps seaguar #14 floro leader. Have both medium and medium light rods with extra fast action. I tried the mono route with the jig raps, and still had fish come unbuttoned. No better or worse from my experience. Just the nature of the beast when fishing jig raps.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
20230328_144220.jpg

For Jigging walleyes...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
20230328_144236.jpg

Paddle fish and heavy northern rods where I wanna bend my hooks instead of lose lures on snags...

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am clearly in the minority on this and have been for a number of years every time this topic comes up. but, i much prefer fireline. i am probably missing something important.
I tried it when it 1st came out, and switched back to spider wire and now Power Pro. Same snag/tree and power pro brought the tree out of the mud and got my lure back after breaking the Fireline. Just lost too many cranks on it and have never tried it since the first couple years. It failed the side by side test and it wasn't even close.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When in doubt, I like 8 or 14lb crystal fire line. I use sensation when live baiting. I like 14lb green flame fire line on my bobber rods (I can see the line before the hook set). I'm not a fan of the Suffix lead core, I know it dives more efficiently than others, but I've had issues. I'm not a fan of power pro (I know a number of people love it). I haven't had good luck with power pro. Berkeley fluorocarbon has been good to me. I've tried a few other brands with mixed results.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
6/20 "general"; 4/15 "trout": Does anyone remember the "hugeness" of 20lb mono? It was muskie line and for flipping bass in grass mats.

When they were able to produce round braid it was an ethereal gift from the heavens. I figured out how to hold my mouth just right to cast the old flat stuff on spinning (It was a HARD "side-armish" deal with "extra" extended elbow and straight wrist). I'm enamored with the diameter/strength ratio even more; as said before I believe we're in the Golden Age of fishing.

In my youth back in the Hills I lost a few fish which still haunt me. Had I used heavier mono; casting would've suffered and the "memory/twist" may have prevented the strikes in the first place.

Anyways; I used to be a huge fan of PowerPro until it became as expensive as everything else. I mostly shop for deals in my parameters. I use straight braid in combo of Sharpies, bbl swivels, speed clips and Palomar Knots: Don't know what this says about me: I have a USA Quantum still "good enough" spooled for a bank/bait situation spooled in '04.

A spool to fill the reel and another for leaders: Clip the main line and replace swivel whenever you feel doubt. I like cheese and it's enzymes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84