ling.... poor mans lobster???

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
check your frozen fish section next time shopping,they call'em "ling code" we always called them "laywers" because they always have a smile... I see the world record is 25lbs! bad enough catching 4-5lb'ers,most often they come up the hole tail 1st. The state of Utah has a ling catch and no release policy as these fish prey on trout and salmon eggs.

Summer month here in Mn fishing mille lacs we would bump into these fish laying along the edges of the mud flats in deep water via camera,rare to catch these fish in open water,they were burrowed into the mud and always near "blood worm" colonies,figured food of choice during summer months.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring time northern fishing we catch a few 10 plus pounders down here

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not bad boiled in milk. If you do catch one cut the stomach open, you won't believe what they can eat.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are cooking them all wrong. You need too get a bunch of that gumbo shale shorline MUD. Do NOT clean the ling...just pack it it mud and then wrap in alm foil. Bake at 400 for an hour. then at 250 for 3 hrs. Take it out and seperate the mud from fish. Throw away ling and eat the mud. :eek:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boiling them or northern in sprite or 7up makes it to sweet for my liking. Rarely clean or eat ling but for pike I just boil in salt water with a pinch of sugar.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught some in LOW years back, the guide would batter and fry the backstraps and they were pretty good. I wonder what one would be like on a stick with corn dog batter (pout dog)....might be the next big hit at the eelpout festival, or maybe they already do that.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, NOT lobster, but when cleaned as MSA describes, boiled in water with equal amounts of sugar and salt, and served with melted butter. Them slimy snake lookin' ugly fish serve up pretty good with a green vegetable, wild rice, and garlic toast.

Pike as well, at least for variety

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was once buffaloed into the lie that paddlefish tasted like "poor mans lobster". Now I laugh when ever someone says something tastes like "poor mans lobster". I think they have never eaten lobster!

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
My grandma grew up in Newfoundland. According to her lobster was a poor mans food back then. They fed it to dogs and prisoners. Just thought that was interesting

Baydoe

You guys are cooking them all wrong. You need too get a bunch of that gumbo shale shorline MUD. Do NOT clean the ling...just pack it it mud and then wrap in alm foil. Bake at 400 for an hour. then at 250 for 3 hrs. Take it out and seperate the mud from fish. Throw away ling and eat the mud. :eek:

I will have to remember this for next time! :;:cheers

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
burbotbob-0321.jpg

burbot world record igfa huge massive monster eel lake minnesota department official lota lota r.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
One day I want to fish with those Konrad twins. They are fishing machines. Makes me wish I had a twin...naw that would be bad if we hung out too much.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are ugly first fish i ever pulled through the ice when i first moved out here. Scarred the crap out of me when it wrapped around my arm

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88