Love Ice Fishing or Meh?

ice or not?

• Prefer ice fishing over boat fishing by a good ole country mile.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Prefer ice fishing but like it in the boat as well.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Like 'em both equal.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Prefer boat fishing but also like to ice fish.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Greatly prefer boat fishing.

Votes: 18 15.4%

• Total voters

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll jump at a chance to fish but I don't get too excited for boat or ice fishing. However, I still have dreams about shore fishing (and hunting.) Wait for dusk when the eaters come into the shallows. Bobber with bait while you're casting a spoon. Love casting and reeling. Or you're on a river or creek with bait on the line.

There needs to be a shore fishing option in this poll.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to prefer ice fishing, then I bought a boat and priorities changed. My trap is in the back of the pickup at all times so taking off at a moments notice is easy.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have more fun on the ice. Mabey I'll get out more than 3 times this year.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Summer has been too busy the last couple years winter I'm able to get a little more time so have really got into ice fishing. Fish house is more affordable than a boat.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've taken to a less stressful style of ice fishing the last few years. Rarely chase perch. Do a walleye night bite from time to time in a few different spot. But, for the most part, I keep my permanent in a pike friendly spot and only move it when the snow pile up so bad it becomes a pain to get to or hard to hook on to. Big pike through the ice is a blast. When we get ambitious we throw out tip ups. They taste great and give lots of meat. Filet and cook. Smoke. Pickle. And the pike bite all day and those spots also usually produce walleyes in the morning and evenings. Drink lots of beer. Eat fish. Watch tv. Read. Listen to radio. It's like fishing from my couch. Only problem... doesn't look like we will get it out this year til February.

Hardwaterfocus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually prefer ice fishing. Drop the house on a spot and fire up the generator. TV. Pizza. Relax.

Over the years it is getting harder to get everything out and set. The time it takese, the work to move it or whatever.

And this year, with the lack of ice, even more so.

So now we tend to look for a good weekend or two, commit to it, and just rent one. It's easier.

We've gone here with good results.

http://icefishing.rentals

Would still take icefishing over open water, but whatever floats your boat is good by me.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've taken to a less stressful style of ice fishing the last few years. Rarely chase perch. Do a walleye night bite from time to time in a few different spot. But, for the most part, I keep my permanent in a pike friendly spot and only move it when the snow pile up so bad it becomes a pain to get to or hard to hook on to. Big pike through the ice is a blast. When we get ambitious we throw out tip ups. They taste great and give lots of meat. Filet and cook. Smoke. Pickle. And the pike bite all day and those spots also usually produce walleyes in the morning and evenings. Drink lots of beer. Eat fish. Watch tv. Read. Listen to radio. It's like fishing from my couch. Only problem... doesn't look like we will get it out this year til February.

This times 2:;:thumbsup.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wind is less of an issue on ice, IMHO. No waves, no scary rollers throwing you into the rocks, no motion sickness, no spilled beer. Ice is a pain in the ass moving the house, but if you are not setting up a house, and you have a 4wheeler or side by, moving is easy as hell. drilling a hole takes a minute, drop in a line and your vex and away you go. If its a house set up day, I don't move much at all.

I spend a lot more time and money on open water fishing, but think I like ice fishing more. Probably a horse a piece, tit for tat, six of one and a half dozen of the other.

mrs johnr doesn't ice fish, since that ring effected her ice fish jigging ability.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer ice fishing when you can drive the pickup on. I picked up a flip over last year and has changed fishing for the better. Otter and auger stay in the back of the pickup all winter. Drive to the lake and onto it. Pull gear out. pop holes. Set up on the lake in 5 minutes. If I want to move, flip it up, attach to rope on the hitch move to a new spot. With the otter, it is easy to heat. nice pair of boots and I'm fishing in a sweet shirt or even tshirt. Nice weather and I'm out of the shack. If the wind is blowing, I just part the pickup up wind.

Had too many times when I hook up the boat, make sure everything has fuel, get to the lake only to find the water is too choppy to get out.

Now I will say this. Catfishin on the red is hard to beat. Drop the boat in, you can always find sanctuary from the wind. Put the boat sideways and drop the bait. Sit back pop a beer and your good all evening. Very close second.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11