Lowrance question

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
Price I can afford for a change, thinking hard about placing my order, would like to know thoughts on these units, if you have one, do you like it ? , ease of use things like that, have watched some vids and read some reviews but would like what I would consider a more unbiased opinions
1C09BBA1-F2CE-422C-A7CE-C3435AABB6A6.jpeg

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a gen 3 9” lowrance and a 12” carbon with side imaging but nothing live. I like them both. Only comment I have is the 9” is only large enough to comfortably view 2 split screens for me. I wouldn’t expect to see it split into 4 like your picture.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is correct. Although with the Scheels price there is no rebate from Lowrance. Kinda a funky advertising thing. I just got off the phone with Scheels. It is a pretty decent buy. The new HDS PRO coming out is probably the reason for the price drop.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see this as the head unit + standard transducer. It is "Active Image Ready", not included. That said, if you're used to anything smaller than a 9 inch, that alone will be a huge upgrade. I can't believe how much different my new 9" Garmin is from my 7" Lowrance. Yes, I made the switch.....

https://www.scheels.com/p/lowrance-9-hds-live-fishfinder-with-active-imaging/42300052529.html#q=hds+live+fishfinder+with+active+imaging&lang=en_US&start=1

1679369928936.png

1679369304355.png

This might be worrisome......."BE THE FIRST!"
1679369674355.png

Then there's this about Lowrance.......
1679369448892.png

Last edited:

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely trying to do my research, reading down it does include the active image 3 in 1 transducer , is that the standard transducer ?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely trying to do my research, reading down it does include the active image 3 in 1 transducer , is that the standard transducer ?
Yes, it is the standard. If you want "Livescope" type "Active Target" from Lowrance you're investing a bunch more money it seems.

Feels like the ad is misleading. Easy to read it as "Active Target" is included.

I edited my post, included another "comment" off Scheels website that solidifies what I thought.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I will say is this...I've been a Lowrance user for quite a few years now. Must have been about 7 years ago I bought a pair of HDS Gen 3 units to use on my toon and Lund. Quite disappointed in them as you can't see shit on side or downscan on that size of a screen. I've heard the 9 inch is better, and to be really able to spot fish...the 12 inch is the cat's meow. Anyway, at this price I am thinking of buying a 9 just so I can put my damn 7 on the bow. Anyone know what the price is without the transducer?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Or, anyone know how to teach me to see fish on a 7 inch screen?
I've got a 9 inch on the console and a 7 inch on the bow, which reads only regular 2D sonar from the head unit in the trolling motor. The 7 inch on the bow just set to regular sonar works fine for that purpose - but I never split the screen. IMO 9 inch minimum needed for split screen to really get anything out of it...unless you sit directly in front of the screen all the time!

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Transducers are a huge factor in image quality. There is a big jump in side imaging quality from the transducers that shipped with the HDS Gen 3 (LSS-2 and TotalScan) to those that shipped with carbon and live units (Active Imaging). I haven't seen it yet but looks like there is another big jump with the HDS pro and the active imaging HD transducer, though it appears there is still a separate module required to get fishreveal sidescan.

Screen size is also key, especially if splitting the screen. 9" is okay but 12" and 16" are way better.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I will say is this...I've been a Lowrance user for quite a few years now. Must have been about 7 years ago I bought a pair of HDS Gen 3 units to use on my toon and Lund. Quite disappointed in them as you can't see shit on side or downscan on that size of a screen. I've heard the 9 inch is better, and to be really able to spot fish...the 12 inch is the cat's meow. Anyway, at this price I am thinking of buying a 9 just so I can put my damn 7 on the bow. Anyone know what the price is without the transducer?

I see this scenario on a regular basis. The guys I know running a single 7” or 9” graph with all the available imaging on today’s market rarely use more than one sonar and map combo at the same time. They’ll switch sonars periodically, but switch back to what they know (99% of time, it’s chirp). Drives me crazy because I’m used to running everything at the same time. I believe it tells the entire story of what’s going on below the boat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84