M9 Cow help!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That was my thought. You can shoot a moose cow with calves in ND?!?! Do Canadian/Shiras moose have a different weaning schedule than Alaska Yukon moose? If an AK/Yukon cow still has a calf, it's still dependent on that cow for almost another year; they don't' ween for 1.5 years. My wife has a cow tag for December and the rules are very clear to not shoot a cow with calves. Have had a cow and calf in the yard almost daily here and we're over a month past the rut.

I'll admit that I've shot whitetail does with fawns in late fall, but that's more aligned with the natural weaning schedule. Still felt a little bad, but that fawn out stayed her welcome the way it was.

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Moose calves are weaned at 6 months of age but stay with the cow until they are 1 1/2 . There’s nothing wrong with shooting the cow.
Why would it be different than a deer or elk ?

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Moose calves are weaned at 6 months of age but stay with the cow until they are 1 1/2 . There’s nothing wrong with shooting the cow.
Why would it be different than a deer or elk ?
I guess the simple and obvious answer to me would be there's clearly an evolutionary reason that moose stay with their mothers for their first winter. It's obvious that has played into the survival of the species or else it wouldn't be that way. Maybe because moose are mostly solitary during the winter while elk, caribou, and deer herd up. So maybe moose calves need their mother for protection and to show them where winter food is while other species can rely on the herd. I guess that probably doesn't matter in a place like ND where moose predators have mostly been removed from the landscape and there really isn't a migration from wintering grounds to summer grounds. A bit too intrusive for me personally, I suppose. But legal is legal.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
heading out elk hunting wife and i both have tags in our pockets one being a cow. if i see a cow/calf pair i will shoot the calf. no shame...... better eating period. love the morally superior humans on here......

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
10 miles NE of Harvey yesterday morning

moose.jpg

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
1lessdog I hope your friend found those moose by Norwich , and got one

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119