Making deer soap?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who would have guessed soap can be so complicated...

Here is a calculator for those interested, gotta tweak the types of oils you use to get the results you want. Im using 50% deer lard, along with olive, avacado, and coconut oil. My first batch I think is kinda a flop. I tried to hot process it and it separated, I think I provided too much heat, I was able to keep mixing it while it cooled to get it back together but it seems softer than it should be. Next batch Im going to try cold processing....

https://mysoapcalc.com/soap/home/printRecipe

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a recipe that was shared with me on facebook that is supposed to be good... Gives you an idea of what values are good for the different attributes that soap can have, provides a "normal" range...
FB_IMG_1669653731048.jpg

I have no idea what iodine or INS are, havent searched on it, but the other are fairly self explanatory, cleansing is how harsh the soap is essentially, how much oil it will remove from your skin, less cleansing = mild soap, more = harsher and more effective for removing nastiness like oil, grease and the like from your hands.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is what happened after I mixed the oils with the lye solution and it was heated for a while.
20221125_202959.jpg

Here is what the resulting soap looks like, no artificial colors were added. I did add some ground oatmeal and ground activated charcoal to provide grit for increased exfoliation effect.

20221128_104555.jpg

I ordered a silicone mold, so my next batch should look nicer. Even with hot processing, it can take a week or two for it to harden and the chemical reactions to finish, when cold processing it can take up to 2 months before your soap is usable I guess...

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice Work,, I had full intentions to save fat from my deer this year to try to make candles but the buck i shot didnt have very much at all.. I wonder if the process would be similar

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a recipe that was shared with me on facebook that is supposed to be good... Gives you an idea of what values are good for the different attributes that soap can have, provides a "normal" range...
FB_IMG_1669653731048.jpg

I have no idea what iodine or INS are, havent searched on it, but the other are fairly self explanatory, cleansing is how harsh the soap is essentially, how much oil it will remove from your skin, less cleansing = mild soap, more = harsher and more effective for removing nastiness like oil, grease and the like from your hands.
Well there's your problem right there . No honey or vanilla.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75