Metal roof pros/cons

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to put a new roof on my parents house in SD. It currently has original 30 year old asphalt shingles that are about falling apart. The roof isn't very steep but it's large and the detached garage is big too. They are considering going with a metal roof for longevity and ease of install. I'm worried about what if does to cell reception and if a cell booster is enough to get that back? Also the house is fairly high end and I'm wondering if the steel roof would lower the value or make it look cheap to some?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I say go for the gold!
22613712_2ad0ec3319_z.jpg

KJS - ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think the 'nicer' metal roofing wouldn't make the house look cheap - I would like that if I were a perspective buyer as I think the stuff will last for a couple lifetimes. Although high end buyers are probably a little pickier - I wouldn't do cedar shakes on my house, but some people seem to like them - to each his own I guess.

If it's the older type pole barn sheet metal roof, then it does look cheap, but you don't see them on high end houses, so assume they will go for the higher quality.

No idea on the cell reception.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found this for you on the good old internet. Seems to make sense to me.

Q. Will a metal roof affect cell phone reception inside of my home?
A. Chances are that you currently use your cell phone in metal roofed buildings on a regular basis. Think of the restaurants where you eat, the stores in which you shop, your bank, your church, etc. Many of those buildings have metal roofs or metal decks beneath flat roofs. Over the years and tens of thousands of roofs, we have had no more than five people tell us that their metal roof did seem to affect their cell phone reception. If you currently have very, very weak or spotty cell phone reception inside of your home, a metal roof may be the “straw that breaks the camel’s back.” Adding a cell phone signal booster in your house would have been helpful before the metal roof and certainly would be helpful after your metal roof is installed. However, if you have fair to excellent cell phone reception now, the metal roof should not have any noticeable effect.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Incredibly noisy, they also dent easily, and can fade fast. Also you really need to open your wallet to get a metal roof that doesn't kill the resell value of the home. Only advantage, it will last the life of the house, provided you can avoid major hail storms and don't mind the faded/weathered look.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So long as the place is insured, I wouldn't worry about hail dings. That's why we carry insurance on things.

Metal can be deafening during a heavy rain or hail. I'd make sure the install included some soundproofing under the metal.

As far as fading, I see some 10+ year old high end metal roofs around Bismarck that still look pretty much new. I'm sure they will eventually fade though. I have cedar and it's good, for about 35 years. Problem is mine is about 36 years old. Everything has a drawback.

Note, and I agree with the above link that says you already use your phone in metal buildings without issue.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I reshingled 2 years ago in Bismarck. Decided on the Class 4 impact resistant shingles. This resulted in a 40% discount on my home owners insurance which I liked. I considered metal cause they last 40 years but I am 50 so really didn't think I would live there long enough to see the advantage and it costs more. Insurance company said that if I went metal, they would ask me to sign a waiver that cosmetic damage to the metal would not be covered. My parents ARE going metal primarily because my dad thinks he can do it himself, will go much faster than shingling and he can go right over the top of the shingles.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Incredibly noisy, they also dent easily, and can fade fast. Also you really need to open your wallet to get a metal roof that doesn't kill the resell value of the home. Only advantage, it will last the life of the house, provided you can avoid major hail storms and don't mind the faded/weathered look.

I have a steel roof on my house and it is not loud when it rains. There is felt under it as well as the insulation in the attic to dampen noise. I don't know where you heard that kills resale value as the metal roof is more expensive and looks nice. They do fade somewhat but shingles blow off and crumble. We went through a major hailstorm last year and many homes in the area that had shingles that were shredded and roofs leaked. Guess what my roof didn't leak and you couldn't see the dents in my roof unless you examined it from a foot away and it didn't leak. So the storms that often destroy shingles do little damage to steel roofs.

My in-laws have re-shingled 4 times in the last 20 years because of wind and hail damage. I am putting new steel on my roof that is 16 years old only because the insurance company is going to pay for it. If you want to talk re-sale value why would you buy a house with vinyl siding because pea-sized hail chews that up.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I highly considered metal on the house I built three years ago. A buddy of mine owns a lumber yard and talked me out of it. Convinced me Malarky impact resistant shingles was the way to go. He was right. They are by far the best shingles I've ever seen. Putting them on a buddies new house this summer too. 85 mph winds we had last year didn't faze em at all.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive heard it makes your insurance higher too, apparently if there is a fire, it won't burn a hole through the roof for the firemen to spray water into. Instead the house itself will burn.... I dont know how true this is, just what I have heard

littlefish

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like my metal roof, its quiet, looks good, insurance went down, but most of all my neighbor told me metal belongs on the farm so it makes
me happy he has to look at it for the rest of his life

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Turns any house into a nice looking horse barn

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had our house metal roofed about 4 years ago. A little more noise in heavy rain/hail but not a big deal. No issues with cell reception. Best part is no more shoveling snow off the roof as it tends to slide off easier on its own now. A little more expensive up front but maintenance free and will last a lifetime. Couldn't be happier.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51