Midlife crisis? Epiphany? Or am I insane?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my wife's birthday in early January, I was let go from my job. It came completely without warning. I was given little explanation as to why. And to top it all off, they actively told some staff there not to give me references because it would "undermine" the company if I somehow landed a job with a competing firm. Luckily for me, two people I trusted gave me references, which did a lot for my self esteem.

Then my youngest got her first real cold.

Then my truck took a shit.

And to top it all off, my wife had just made the decision to leave her (comfortable) career of nearly eight years and try something new. It was a calculated risk -- one made under the assumption that I had a healthy, full-time career if something didn't work out.

Anxiety was through the roof. I couldn't eat. Couldn't sleep. Lost eight pounds in less than a week.

But I didn't wait around for something to happen. The night I was let go, I made phone calls and sent emails until 1 a.m. By Friday I had my first interview. The next week, two more.

However, in between all the job-search hubbub, something happened. What was the point? Did I really want to work for a company that's only goal was to make money? I'm in the thinking business, where people are paid to come up with ideas that sound good on paper and maybe result in a few phone calls or added zeros to a bank account. But in the end, it's fluff. And the inefficiencies are astounding. What our entire group would cost for one small project, a single individual could easily accomplish in a matter of hours for a fraction of the price.

Then, it hit me. I was sitting at my laptop, staring at some job search website, when an idea formed. A flicker of a spark that had lingered for over a decade, but suddenly found tinder and burst into flame. I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted my job to mean something. Kind of like it had when I worked concrete through college. At the end of the day, I wanted to SEE something that made the world a better place -- even for just one person. But, was it too late?

Could I still be a teacher?

Ten years removed from college and plenty of "Corporate America" experience under my belt, and yet I couldn't shake this feeling that I needed to do more with my life.

So I took a break from job searching, and looked to see what I'd need to do in order to teach in North Dakota. My first call was to Fargo Public Schools, as I wanted to see what kind of careers were out there for someone in my situation. Surprisingly, I found out, the teaching pools are aging across the board. In the next few years there are going to be a bunch of retirements. And for whatever reason, not many bodies to take over. And English, believe it or not, is in high demand.

This gave me a bit of hope.

Then I called a good friend who teaches in West Fargo. He said they recently hired a guy who had worked 20 years in a lab and just got his teaching degree. He was 50! I'm 32.

I started to gain confidence.

A call to UND, my alma matter, was in order. They did indeed have a teaching degree program, however it would need to be on campus. I couldn't do that. Too much travel for a guy with deep roots in Fargo, two kids, and plenty of bills.

"Well I hate to turn people to other colleges," the guy on the phone said. "But Mayville State just started a MAT program that sounds perfect for you."

MAT? What was that?

"It's 100 percent remote, and you don't need a teaching degree," he explained. "You should look into it."

And I did. What I found seemed too good to be true. The Masters in Art of Teaching program at MSU had almost literally just started (it was approved in August 2016). It was an answer to North Dakota's huge need for qualified teachers. Basically, anyone with a bachelor's degree could work toward a Master's degree in teaching through a 100-percent remote program that focused on things like leadership, understanding and classroom dynamics.

I couldn't believe it. A quick phone call with the dean and I found out I was an ideal candidate. Because I'd taken so many English courses in my communications curriculum at UND, I wouldn't need any undergraduate classes to bring me up to standards. I was behind on enrollment, but they fast-tracked me so I could get caught up.

Today, I'm into Week 3 of the MAT program. It's only 32 credits, which includes a semester of student teaching...easily attainable in a bit over a year. But with everything on my plate, I'm going to stretch it out a bit. Six credits a semester and then student teach before, hopefully, landing my forever job.

In the meantime, I also just accepted a position with a local company that will pay the bills and get our family through the next two years with a roof over our heads and food in our bellies.

It's going to be a tough road, especially with little kids that need attention and a wife who already does more than she should. But her support is unwavering, and as long as I keep trucking, I know I can get through with my master's degree.

That's just funny to say in my head...Master's Degree. For a guy who swore he'd never, ever go back to college, I suddenly find myself engrossed in the lessons and assignments. Learning is interesting again, a concept I haven't known since grade school. For the first time in a long time, I WANT to know something that will make me a better person. That will, hopefully, help me be the best teacher I can be, and spur upcoming generations to want to read and write.

So...am I nuts? I certainly feel a bit loopy after everything that's happened. But I can't shake this feeling that I'm meant to do this. I just needed time to realize it on my own.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on the new adventure, and no you are not nuts. You are definitely not the first person I've heard of that lost their job in a field they thought they loved only to realize they wanted to spend their career somewhere totally different. Good for you for pursuing what you feel will make you happy.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I say your not nuts. If you got the guts and confidence to teach go for it. YOU will make a difference.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reality is that people change over time and things happen for a reason. Your interests change, your priorities change (especially once you have kids), and the things you thought you loved 10 years ago may not be that interesting anymore. I don't call it a mid-life crisis or being nuts, I call it growth. Good luck. You'll be just fine and 10 years from now you'll probably look back at this speed bump and be very grateful it happened.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
I can relate to this as well and often look back and reminisce on how fast time flies which always reminds me that Life is too short... Its defining moments like this that pave the path for your future.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations Sir. It takes a set of cajones to step away from something you know how to do well (but might not like it). Teachers are a special breed. What they have to put up with to do what they love is admirable. I thoroughly enjoy listening to my wife and her colleagues discuss/complain the intricacies of their jobs. I just sit back, smile and take another drink. I, for one, am done going to college. The better part of a decade is enough. Good luck!

JCNodak

Honored Member
I understand the position that you are in. I have been there myself. If you would allow me, I would like to play a bit of devils advocate.
The same thing happened to me about 8 years ago. I looked into everything. I have looked into going into teaching. My wife is a teacher. We both went to Mayville. She even taught there for a couple of years. It is a great teaching college. I have been married to my wife since we left college. Being an outsider to the teaching "industry", I have been able to watch from the outside the change in the system. The focus seems to be less and less about the kids and more about appeasing parents and boards and some kind of standard that someone with no experience in education has put out there. My wife loves teaching and has known she wanted to be a teacher since she was young. Even she has had doubts recently as to if she wanted to continue. My advice: ask if you can observe. Talk to as many teachers as you can. Ask about the things outside of actually teaching that they are required to do. To speak to the need for teachers in this state, I would say it is misleading. Yes there are shortages and English may be one of them. However, in the larger cities (GF, Fargo, Bismarck, etc.) the openings are snatched up rather quickly as there are many licensed teachers that are working as a para or sub or at a smaller town until an opening comes along. A lot of the openings are in smaller towns.

All that being said, if you are passionate about it, then go for it. All the complaining that I get to hear at home, when I ask her if she still loves her job, the answer is always yes.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like someone up above may have your back. Still it makes a guy jumpy when these things happen. I hope this all works out for you, and in the end, turns into a rewarding career. Best wishes!

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
The man upstairs doesn't close a door without opening a window. I say congrats to you for following your hearts desire, and wish you the best of luck.

I friggin hated school..especially on the nice days. My mind would wonder to what I could be doing outside instead of paying attention to what the teacher was saying.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand the position that you are in. I have been there myself. If you would allow me, I would like to play a bit of devils advocate.
The same thing happened to me about 8 years ago. I looked into everything. I have looked into going into teaching. My wife is a teacher. We both went to Mayville. She even taught there for a couple of years. It is a great teaching college. I have been married to my wife since we left college. Being an outsider to the teaching "industry", I have been able to watch from the outside the change in the system. The focus seems to be less and less about the kids and more about appeasing parents and boards and some kind of standard that someone with no experience in education has put out there. My wife loves teaching and has known she wanted to be a teacher since she was young. Even she has had doubts recently as to if she wanted to continue. My advice: ask if you can observe. Talk to as many teachers as you can. Ask about the things outside of actually teaching that they are required to do. To speak to the need for teachers in this state, I would say it is misleading. Yes there are shortages and English may be one of them. However, in the larger cities (GF, Fargo, Bismarck, etc.) the openings are snatched up rather quickly as there are many licensed teachers that are working as a para or sub or at a smaller town until an opening comes along. A lot of the openings are in smaller towns.

All that being said, if you are passionate about it, then go for it. All the complaining that I get to hear at home, when I ask her if she still loves her job, the answer is always yes.

I appreciate your insight. I live only a few blocks from the Fargo High School I'd love to work at, but I know getting in there is next to impossible. I'm trying to be a realist. If I need to get in the door by working at a rural school, so be it. I'm going to cross that bridge when I get there. For now, that's a long ways away, and a lot can change in two or three years.

My buddy who teaches complains about boards and standards and whatnot, but not nearly as much as he talks about his kids. I get a sense a lot of it is perspective. For me, I'll know nothing but what is expected. I'm not an "old guard" who has been through changes and is sick of it. Hopefully, I can assimilate to the process and still make a difference without feeling slighted by some new standard or expectation.

At least, that's my goal. Again, a lot can happen in a couple years.

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
"When a door closes... a window opens".... good luck in your endeavor. Ive been in education 29 years and counting... its like every job I suppose... great days and days you just want to scream. But in the end, its a good profession. And once you're in, there are other opportunities...extracurriculars for one. They not only supplement your income but allow you to connect with kids in a different way. Also, there are going to be opportunities in administration as well...another window you might want to look through as you get yourself established. Best of luck in grad school!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Three years ago I was in need of change and trying to figure out what I wanted to do. A door opened and I was given a little push and a few days later I walked through another door in front of me and now I have been here for 3 years and still like it. Change is good and sometimes we just need a push and its all how you handle it that can define you.
I myself would never want to teach and I have tons of respect for those that do. Good luck

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I must admit to being a little jealous at times of my coworkers who spent their entire career doing one thing and in doing so they find themselves able to retire at a relatively early age, I gotta admit I have really enjoyed variety. So I have to work a few extra years, big deal.

So I say good for you, don't be afraid of a little moving of the cheese.

JCNodak

Honored Member
I appreciate your insight. I live only a few blocks from the Fargo High School I'd love to work at, but I know getting in there is next to impossible. I'm trying to be a realist. If I need to get in the door by working at a rural school, so be it. I'm going to cross that bridge when I get there. For now, that's a long ways away, and a lot can change in two or three years.

My buddy who teaches complains about boards and standards and whatnot, but not nearly as much as he talks about his kids. I get a sense a lot of it is perspective. For me, I'll know nothing but what is expected. I'm not an "old guard" who has been through changes and is sick of it. Hopefully, I can assimilate to the process and still make a difference without feeling slighted by some new standard or expectation.

At least, that's my goal. Again, a lot can happen in a couple years.

Then by all means do it! My only thought was that I had a little insight. But I am not a teacher. It's not in my heart. It is apparent to me that it is in yours. A lot of times when we talk about new ventures or endeavors, especially on social media, the consensus is how great the new adventure is or will be. Nobody wants to talk about the trying times or the frustrations. Sounds like you have a good support system in place. That is key. I don't know if you are a religious man, but I believe that God leads us to what he wants us to do by changing our lives in ways you have described. Losing your job then feeling the push to be a teacher. That is simply my belief and I don't want to offend you or anyone with it. But if you are feeling the push, then you must go.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes it just hits you that a major change needs to be made. I was in the Marketing Industry for nearly 16 years and started guiding for the fun and some extra money. It was never in my mind that it would be my profession. As the guide service started to take off the company I worked for started to treat the long term employees like crap and I could see the end coming and right quick. So here I was facing a decision, look for a new job and basically start over doing the exact same thing or jump into my growing business that was not quite ready to be a full time job. I chose the later and I have no regrets what so ever. Every day is a challenge but it is a challenge on my terms.

I wish you the best of luck in the new endeavor, even with the challenges it will be on your terms and will keep you and your family afloat. Things happen and it is what you make of it, usually for the better in the end.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then by all means do it! My only thought was that I had a little insight. But I am not a teacher. It's not in my heart. It is apparent to me that it is in yours. A lot of times when we talk about new ventures or endeavors, especially on social media, the consensus is how great the new adventure is or will be. Nobody wants to talk about the trying times or the frustrations. Sounds like you have a good support system in place. That is key. I don't know if you are a religious man, but I believe that God leads us to what he wants us to do by changing our lives in ways you have described. Losing your job then feeling the push to be a teacher. That is simply my belief and I don't want to offend you or anyone with it. But if you are feeling the push, then you must go.

I have to admit that I'm trying to talk myself up a lot, too. This HAS to be what's right for me. I can't let too many negatives fog my vision, because it's a significant investment and I can't afford to fail. That's not to say that I'm looking at everything through rose-colored glasses. I realize teaching is not for the faint of heart. And your wife's experience certainly is valid. I can't just ignore that.

So I'll take that with everything else I know and am learning about and hold it close and pray this is a course I'm supposed to be on. '

Seriously...thanks for your "hard truths." You're right in that they need to be heard. I've had a lot of support and pushing to get going, which is motivating. But it's only the beginning of an arduous marathon. To keep up momentum, I'll need more than that. Maybe you're right...maybe this is something beyond me. A push through trial. I'd like to hope so. It definitely gives me a new perspective on life and what's really important in the grand scheme of things.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to lose weight, just add stress to your life. Works well.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to lose weight, just add stress to your life. Works well.

Or a tapeworm.

Seriously though...I wasn't overweight to begin with. I'd been weight training and working out 3-4 times a week for the last year. I was a comfortable and healthy 175.

Today I'm 168. After breakfast.

Stress is nuts.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93