Milwaukee or Makita?

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going away from Dewalt. Might use it for ice fishing but mostly general use around the house and putting up my shop this summer.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milwaukee M18 seems to have more tool options. I've gone that direction from Dewalt as well.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Milwaukee hands down is the better choice. We use the cordless grinders and impacts from 1/4 in all way up to 1 inch drive at work. They take a massive amount of abuse and miss use and they just keep ticking. For personal use at home they will last forever.

Catfool

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both makita tools are more comfortable. Milwaukee tools probably better and batteries are way better. Makita batteries don’t last always seem to go bad

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've been running makita from the old 9.6 stick days, then on to the 14.4's, now the 18 volts since they came out...

i used them hard in construction every day for years... still have about 4 or 5 of the 3 amp hour batteries working after about 10 years... i've never gotten less than 7 years out of a battery with heavy use...

have dropped 2 different impact drivers off 18' sidewalls onto concrete when hanging trusses on a steel building... picked them up and went back to work and they work great to this day...

the only thing i've had wear out is an 18 volt vacuum that was really abused...

they don't have the same presence in the stores because they don't buy shelf space like the yellow and red guys...

i am a corded yellow saw guy though... have 10 and 12" compound mitre saws and they are hard to beat...

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t have any Milwaukee but I have had two Makita drills. Both sucked. I do however have an impact driver going on 10 years from Makita and that has been good.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Makita tools are really, really good. I used them extensively in construction as well and have been nothing but happy. That said, about 3 years ago I started using Milwaukee. They are every bit as good if not maybe a bit better. More refined it how I would put it. I don't think you could go wrong purchasing either, but I think Milwaukee is more modern and advanced.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think either would be bad but my vote is for Milwaukee. The drill is great on a K drill and hard to beat for work also. I use mine alot drilling holes in pipe and metal and has held up well. Milwaukee has a huge tool variety to which is why Im switching to them. I started with Ingersol Rand impact, drill, and grease gun and will replace all with Milwaukee as they fail. I already have the 1/2 milwaukee impact, hand grinder, drill, band saw, chain saw, and weed wacker. All work great. Love the Chain saw, would never own a gas saw again unless I cut firewood for a whole winter which I don't.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Many assume Milwaukee is better as you seem them more prominently and in more places but as mentioned they’ve pretty much became the new dewalt buying floor space. They’re a good line of tools but don’t think I’d go as far as saying they are better than Makita. Makita is more of a world wide brand, the US is not their primary market. They are here because they have to have a US presence. This comes straight from the GM of a tool distributer that sells all brands. I’ve used both and you can’t go wrong with either. I own Makita and have zero reservations. With that said I think the better value us Milwaukee. Makita NEVER has a sale and is tougher to find. Milwaukee on the other hand is carried everywhere, has a larger local selection and actually has decent sales a couple times a year.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had Craftsmen, back in the NiCD days. Then DeWalt, and it was alright. Now have Milwaukee, and have never looked back.

I DO really like my DeWalt 40V weed wacker. It's a beast.

Bought a Craftsmen multi-tool (cordless) recently, and will let you know. I bought it for a specific job, and mostly based upon price. With a battery and charger, it was cheaper than the bare tool from Milwaukee.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34