Minnows in Refrigerator

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I fill a couple 1 gal jugs from the lake and use that to change water. Keep them in a bait cooler in garage and set the cooler outside every once in awhile. It’s not the $4 a scoop, but the convenience of not having to stop.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crackers for food. Change water weekly if you can. Aerator in fridge is the easiest and best option. Get a bait fridge or momma won't be happy. For those of with a bait shop in town, not 60 miles one way, just get new bait when you go.
if the water is cold, dont bother feeding them, most if it will just rot and foul the water faster, they can live months without food in cold water. IF you do want to feed them, just give them regular fish food flakes for best results.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
if the water is cold, dont bother feeding them, most if it will just rot and foul the water faster, they can live months without food in cold water. IF you do want to feed them, just give them regular fish food flakes for best results.
YUP, it doesn't take much. Cold water is key. They'll only keep so long though. When you're in my situation with no bait shop close it sure is a pain. They should manufacture a bait fridge with aerator bins with filters and an agitator. They could have a crawler bin too.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
YUP, it doesn't take much. Cold water is key. They'll only keep so long though. When you're in my situation with no bait shop close it sure is a pain. They should manufacture a bait fridge with aerator bins with filters and an agitator. They could have a crawler bin too.
I keep mine outside all summer also in a 20 gallon bin with a bubble sponge filter and air pump, just keep them in full shade if possible and they will do fine. Also you cant put 3000 minnows in something that size, but if you keep a reasonable amount, they will keep indefinitely.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the time summer rolls around I don't even use minnows. Cranks and crawlers starting in June. Minnows are super hard to keep alive in the summer. If it gets up in the 80's shade won't matter. A cool basement maybe. Fridge is the best. Since I have to trap anyway, I'm usually just trying to keep a few Chubs alive.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I fill a couple 1 gal jugs from the lake and use that to change water. Keep them in a bait cooler in garage and set the cooler outside every once in awhile. It’s not the $4 a scoop, but the convenience of not having to stop.
Aaaaand you just admitted to a ticketable offense in ND.

Mr. Ranger isn't going to like that Yogi.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big thing with using tap or rural water is get it the same temp as what they are swimming in at the time. Temp shock is the biggest killer. I keep a gallon jug of water in the beer fridge the minnows are in, swap water about every 5 days depending how many minnows in container. Aqua drops help but not necessity.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
ij have one of those engel bait coolers that has paid for itself in saved minnows, keep my garage at 45 just crack the lid not many die my cat eats quite a few though.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Glad that you’re a junior game warden, what kind of a sticker do you want?
Tone and delivery don't come through in text like in person. That was intended to be lighthearted and joking but also let you know in case you were unaware.

I don't care if you fill your pickup box with lake water and let the kids swim while you drive home. But I'll take a Deputy Dawg sticker if that's an option.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Tone and delivery don't come through in text like in person. That was intended to be lighthearted and joking but also let you know in case you were unaware.

I don't care if you fill your pickup box with lake water and let the kids swim while you drive home. But I'll take a Deputy Dawg sticker if that's an option.
I wasn’t aware so thanks. I’m guessing if thats illegal, I’m not supposed to even refresh my bait cooler with lake water. Next thing you know it will be against the law to piss on the ice like Minnetucky. View attachment 64072View attachment 64072View attachment 64072

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Far enough from a consistent supply and close enough to be fishing 15 minutes after we leave the yard to keep my own. It's only refrigerated when I forget to turn the heat up. Well water, filter, bubbler and the occasional pinch of fish food.
20231118_103911.jpg
20240114_053539.jpg

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wasn’t aware so thanks. I’m guessing if thats illegal, I’m not supposed to even refresh my bait cooler with lake water. Next thing you know it will be against the law to piss on the ice like Minnetucky. View attachment 64072View attachment 64072View attachment 64072
Frustrating for sure.

Refreshing the bait bucket on the water is legal. It's transporting that water away from the lake which is not legal, which is tough because it's also illegal to dump bait on the shore before leaving.

It's important not to spread ANS through transporting water but lake water that ends up dumped down the toilet or in the back yard isn't spreading ANS.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but I have been noticing it lately. I have been using the Jungle brand stuff you put in the water. It turns the minnows from their blue/silver color to brown and has aloe in it to to help repair skin. I have notice that fish tend to shy away from the minnows that are in that water compared to minnows bought fresh from the bait store. I am assuming it's leaving a scent on the minnows that the fish really don't care for.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aaaaand you just admitted to a ticketable offense in ND.

Mr. Ranger isn't going to like that Yogi.
I go to good creek's on friends farms and take 5 gallon pails out along with trapping creek chubs, minnows and leeches. I also have friend in bismarck his yard during wet seasons is crazy with big night crawlers we shock ground they come to top. Tip lead big chubs are ticket during mid summer for big pig walleyes during tournaments your welcome. I hate stopping at bait shops too out of way also.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member

1706206738358.png
perfect avatar for you

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just keep them cold and replace water regularly . We kept minnows an entire ice season in the permanent as long as they didn't freeze or overheat. Minnows are tough. Not rocket surgery.
In full disclosure "eating" was more of an experiment. They didn't last long enough to starve. I found it strange to see Tetramin flakes at the bottom of the bucket after a week. They were kept in filtration/aeration in a "dark" area with water removed and snow added during this week. I promise I DID NOT "over feed".

This was my last foray into saving money/saving minnows. In fact, it was the last time I bought minnows. I can't deal with the logistics, mess and other assorted bullshit. I'll stick with Raps and if it's a beer day: night crawlers.

On another note: I've never injected air in a minnow(?)...they're fine under a slip if one doesn't mind the above complaints. On a Carolina Rig, they'll burrow in the bottom and get snagged unless attached to a huge floating jig head. I don't like the look as the shanks are too short; I'm not a fish:

Walleye best see "orange".

That is all.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7