Minnows in the trap!

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many minnows is to many minnows? That is the question!

I have a little creek that has treated me fairly well this past month, and I don't want to "trap it out"!!

I started stock piling to save for the lake. How do you guys like to keep your minnows for long term? I figured once the minnow bite turns to a worm bite, the minnows will miraculously escape back into the creek they came from.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite way to keep minnows was a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of tiny holes. I would just leave the bucket in the creek that I got the minnows out of. I never had a dead minnow keeping them this way.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite way to keep minnows was a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of tiny holes. I would just leave the bucket in the creek that I got the minnows out of. I never had a dead minnow keeping them this way.

This is also my method. What's the longest you ever kept them like this and do you ever throw a little food in there? Just checking other people's methods

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
About a month I don't put food in there I figured with the moving current and fresh water they should be getting food floating threw the holes.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the right bird finds your bucket, your minnows might disappear fairly quickly. Dont keep more minnows than your filter system can handle, similar to an aquarium. If minnows start dying or acting strange you probably have a nitrate/nitrite problem. Do half water change and remove all dead/dying ones asap. Maybe reduce your bioload or increase your filtration.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going on 2 months with the fatheads in my deep freeze minnow tank. I keep the water between 36-39 degrees. I have never fed them.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going on 2 months with the fatheads in my deep freeze minnow tank. I keep the water between 36-39 degrees. I have never fed them.

download.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
how do you keep the water so cool? the deep freeze actually run to keep them that cold?

I have an outlet timer that runs the deep freeze for about 2-3 hours every night. The water warms up about 3 degrees and then cools it back down 3 degrees over a 24 hour period. You have to play with the timer until you get it right. If it edges warmer each day you need to add time and if it edges cooler you need to subtract time. Once you get the timer right it will keep steady temp. I couldn't turn the deep freeze warm enough just to run on its own like a refrigerator.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an outlet timer that runs the deep freeze for about 2-3 hours every night. The water warms up about 3 degrees and then cools it back down 3 degrees over a 24 hour period. You have to play with the timer until you get it right. If it edges warmer each day you need to add time and if it edges cooler you need to subtract time. Once you get the timer right it will keep steady temp. I couldn't turn the deep freeze warm enough just to run on its own like a refrigerator.

How big of a deep freeze do you have? Should post a pic! I like the idea of this setup.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
how often do you need to change out the water and clean that sucker out? or does that filter do the trick?

I change water about 3 times a year. If a guy over loads it with chubs or suckers, it can raise heck with the water. Fatheads are really easy to keep. The key is to not put too many in at a time. When I change water, I also clean or replace filter material. I got a disease in the water one time that would just kill fatheads and nothing else. I drained it and cleaned it with a little chlorine bleach and that did the trick.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
interesting.. thats what im coming across right now is i think my cooler that i made for minnows isnt going to be cool enough... i may need to figure out a new plan!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm on Lake Metigoshe, can I just throw a minnow trap out off the end of the dock and have luck like you have in a moving creek body of water???

Steve.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm on Lake Metigoshe, can I just throw a minnow trap out off the end of the dock and have luck like you have in a moving creek body of water???

Steve.

No Steve no you can't.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, get a good galvanized one, You will be amazed.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sl1000794

Steve.

Enslow says:

No Steve no you can't.​

So … who's right???

Steve.

Since Davey is only 4 miles from me, I'd think he is right!!!

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48