Minnows in the trap!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sl1000794
So I'm on Lake Metigoshe, can I just throw a minnow trap out off the end of the dock and have luck like you have in a moving creek body of water???

Steve.

Enslow says:

No Steve no you can't.​

So … who's right???

Steve.

Since Davey is only 4 miles from me, I'd think he is right!!!

Steve.

I haven't trapped Metigoshe since I was a little kid I'd bet you can still catch enough minnows to keep you fishing.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
U can try but your best luck trapping minnows will be in waters where there arent predatory fish... Ive tried both and had very little luck in larger waters.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
U can try but your best luck trapping minnows will be in waters where there arent predatory fish... Ive tried both and had very little luck in larger waters.

100% Agree. I've put traps in a larger creek that has bass, northern, walleye in it and the most I have caught are 2 minnows. And I had 3 traps miles apart.

The best luck I have had was in small creeks that dump into a subsidiary river of the Missouri. I've got traps all over where I'm at and have found only one creek that holds minnows. But it's a gold-mine:D

What baffles me is how there is minnows in this creek. It's at least 30+miles before it dumps into a large river and the creek is damed up at several spots, so it's not like the minnows can swim up it. The deepest part of the creek that I have found is maybe 5-6'. And its a very small area that is that deep.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 42