Money Pit

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some decent advice, I just emailed an appraiser to get things going, I need that info first I guess, then I go the next step once I know (have) the value of my place in hand for said bankers.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those shop/homes would be pretty sweet. I just know that as soon as i sold my normal house and went full on bachelor pad, it would be Murphy's law that some lucky lady would finally sink her claws into me and id have to sell it to go back to a normal home. I would be pretty happy with 1,500 sq ft living quarters with another 1500 sq ft garage space.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does a shop with living quarters have issues with financing & insurance? I assume zoning could be an issue, not specifically you Mort. I recall some news about shops providing housing during the boom and the fire department worried about whether a building had an occupant.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
kitchen.jpg
Kitchen
shoplivingroom.jpg
Living Room
shopbed1.jpg
This is one of the (2) Bedrooms, also has 1 bathroom
shopmain.jpg
40x40 main shop. 9 Foot sidewall with scissor truss
shopmain2.jpg

This is going up currently at the parents place. Right around 1200 square feet of living quarters. 1600 square foot shop area. Center garage door is 10 ft high and 12 wide. Side garage doors are 8 high and 10 wide. 2x6 main walls. Interior walls are 2x4. Laundry room, mud room, and multiple big closets, along with closests in each bedroom. It's not huge, but for a simple, easy retirement home it is the cat's ass. And it ran about 1/3 the price of what new homes cost to build. Actually quite affordable even for the average joe. Throw me a pm if you have specific questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Does a shop with living quarters have issues with financing & insurance? I assume zoning could be an issue, not specifically you Mort. I recall some news about shops providing housing during the boom and the fire department worried about whether a building had an occupant.

Pole building type shops with living quarters are for surely harder to get financing and insurance for. We've been looking to build a pole building with a living quarters inside for years now, and its been absolutely brutal dealing with banks on it.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some decent advice, I just emailed an appraiser to get things going, I need that info first I guess, then I go the next step once I know (have) the value of my place in hand for said bankers.

I would wait on an appraisal. If you get one assigned to your name as an individual it becomes difficult to have that appraisal assigned to a bank and therefore you would pay for 2 appraisals.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

They are tough to finance with a traditional mortgage.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, it does...sadly my last driving gig was 2011, so I'm out of that, I do miss it, but not the BS with the club.

forget the house buy a hauler and go racing they are so nice you can just live in it

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
So for the sake of discussion, if Mort built a shop on the property, assuming zoning is not an issue. What kind of loan does that take? I'm thinking, if I was him, build a shop while living in trailer. Shop has a bachelor pad, sell off trailer to some lake bound enthusiast. Seems like some pitfalls in the plan, but I don't know...

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
A bank cannot use a certified appraisal unless it is ordered by them, due to banking regulations. FDIC requires a certified appraisal on residential real estate at $250K+. So if you are going to borrowing under $250K for your home, a simple "in house" appraisal will be what they do.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly, if I were a bachelor I'd be looking long and hard at a 40x60 stick built shop with a living quarters in the back. If you want it to look more like a home, make the living quarters portion 2 stories. Shouldn't be any harder to get a loan than it would be to get a loan for a traditional home because it's essentially the same thing. If you own the land free and clear the bank should use the equity in the land to help with the loan.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
forget the house buy a hauler and go racing they are so nice you can just live in it

That's what a lot of the guys that travel to race a lot do now a days, they have a toter hauler, instead of booking motels at tracks, they just stay in the hauler. Even seen some with RV pulling a double stacker pull behind trailer. Lots of dough in those racing outfits these days, its insane.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
David W. at E- Lending Now is a close friend of mine. He's also a fisherman. Give him a jingle. 701 355 4172 Bismarck or minot.
https://www.elendingnow.com/

I thought for sure by the topic name here, this would be about boats.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what a lot of the guys that travel to race a lot do now a days, they have a toter hauler, instead of booking motels at tracks, they just stay in the hauler. Even seen some with RV pulling a double stacker pull behind trailer. Lots of dough in those racing outfits these days, its insane.

i don’t think my brother has stayed in a hotel the last ten years those toters are so nice. They all have them licensed in Montana to. They are good at finding loopholes and saving some cash. I think after this winter next year I am going to Arizona with him for a week

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guess the second phase of this thread will be..type of home....manufactured, modular or stick built...gooooo

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 182
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55