Mono or Fireline for Trolling???

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fire line unless your using boards

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been running cranks since they were called plugs in the early 90's. Spectra is the space age fiber that Spider Wire first implemented. I believe it 100% spectra. I've been running it until Power pro came out. I run 20/6, and have run 10/2, but just can't pull up the trees like 20 PP can. At one time Spider wire had a 30/6, can't seem to find it now. I've tried fire line just isn't as good IMO as Spider Wire or PP.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
I run 30lb pp for trolling and 10 lb for pitching jigs. How does nano do with rocks?

I love my Berkley Nanofil, mostly vertical jig and pitch jigs in the river system, It lasts for years, usually put on the 150 yards right away and strip off 10 yards a year just to make me feel better. I will be buying some Sufix nano this year to try, will see.

defiant1

Honored Member
All four of my line counters have 10lb Fireline with arm span length of 12lb florocarbon leader to add a little give. Been working well for me. A lot of the depth charts have curves for both 10lb fireline and 10lb mono. Fireline will run a little deeper at the same depth because of it's smaller diameter.

Are depths charts readily available for braided line?

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are peoples complaints with fireline? Why is it not as good?

I love fireline but im just a weekend warrior

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
The original fireline always would fad, flatten out and fray badly. The new crystal seem to be a better product. I still have fireline on some of my cranking rods just because that's what scheels put on them.

defiant1

Honored Member

I was more surprised that Mono was not a more utilized line for trolling. I figured the 10lb Trilene XT would be a common line used...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 30lb pp for trolling and 10 lb for pitching jigs. How does nano do with rocks?

maybe the least abrasion resistant line I have ever fished - mono included

that said - I love it when there's no rocks - have caught a number of limits of eyes pitching the same jig without ever retying - no leader - tied direct to jig

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's like a Ford vs Chevy thing. What some people first use or some hero of theirs says is the best is what they'll argue is the best til they die. :)

As for myself, I troll a lot. And I like and use Fireline for trolling vs Power Pro. A lot of fishing success is what you feel confident about. So, use what seems to work best for you.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like I lost a lot more cranks on the Fireline than the PP. This was when it first came out. Like I said, Spider wire was the first and I think it was 100% spectra, and Berkley couldn't use the exact product due to legalities. The super braids take a while to get used to, but when you tie the right not, and trim the line consistantly, you believe how hard it is to break. I'm amazed at the stuff I've pulled up. To be fair, I've stuck with SpW and PP and haven't used Fireline in over a decade.

The reason not to use 10 lb mono is the line diameter is not larger than 20/6 braided. You get twice the strength with about half the diameter. That equals a lot less line to let out, a lot less. A buddy of mine uses the 10/2 and he lets out even less line, thus its a lot easier to troll in 16-18 fow.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
10 or 15lb power pro slick 8... I have that spooled on all my rods except my lead core stuff then i still run a 30' leader of PP... I have found that for pulling cranks you do not want to use mono, first you will get a snag and it will break and you will spend more crankbaits, second you can't tell if you are digging bottom or running true because you don't get the feedback in the rod tip

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What he said
I run power pro on everything... haven'the had to respool a reel for a few years now.. suppose I should get to that sometime... power pro just works for me no matter how I am fishing

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the most versatility I would go with a braid. I personally prefer the 10lb sufix 832 or 10lb fireline crystal. I used to use all fireline but that 832 is good stuff. I have 4 braid and 4 mono setups for all different situations.

Last summer I switched to more mono(10lb XT) late summer when trolling 3+ mph because i was missing lots of bites, the mono seemed to help some. But I still have memories of a couple big fish that I would have liked to get the net under, but they came off just outside of nets reach on mono.

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use fireline on almost everything. I do have a spinning rod with mono as I have run into a few instances where I was out-fished badly by the guys using mono while I had on fireline.

On trolling rods I use 14lb and everything else has either 6 or 8lb.

Tried Power Pro once upon a time and I hated it. Pulled it off and went back to Fireline. Was a costly lesson.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the river I like power pro or any water with debris. On Oahe or Sak or any body of water with little chance of debris or snags I use 10lb XT. Trollers Bible has dive curves for it, when a fish bites the extra stretch allows them to suck it in their yap a little further, and the main reason is fishing next to guys using braid mono seems to loose a lot less fish on average. So much so that at one time I switched to braid and went back to mono. Also mono seems to work better when running boards.

- - - Updated - - -

This is strictly trolling.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm far from an expert, but I've tried them all and i use powerpro now. 20# trolling devils.

I use relatively light rods also. Think that helps with hook set.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 52
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17