Moose Poaching

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife showed me some pics of the dead animals that she found, probably on FaceBook. I'm not on any social media, but no tv stations or newspapers have any pics on their websites that I have found. The two moose fawns were laying out on the ground.
go on G&F site they have a link to the reward flyer with pictures. I tried to load it earlier and could not get it to work

https://gf.nd.gov/news/3853

DareDevilDave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_2020-05-12-16-58-07.jpg

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reward Flyer pics:

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 5.26.56 PM.jpg

Saved the flyer to my desktop, enlarged it to 150% actual size and then took a screen shot of the pics.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, the f#*kers need to be prosecuted to the most extreme possible.
COME ON A-HOLE JUDGES, DO YOUR JOB ! ! !

bobberdown

upyours, you are an ignorant biased, racist, no nothing radical, until the facts come out, I will be nonbiased, and look forward to the game and fish, bia, and fbi, to do the job and get peeps responsible for such a heinous crime prosecuted

- - - Updated - - -

the picture you posted made me post previous post

- - - Updated - - -

yup, firewater, does it every time!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With meat prices going sky-high your going to have a lot more of this going on.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
With meat prices going sky-high your going to have a lot more of this going on.

In this case though they didn't take any meat that I know of. It would be one thing to sneak a deer in the fall if you have hungry kids at home but this was shoot to kill. The calves cut out could mean a few things. One is some cowboys wanted a pair of calves to either sell or break a team to drive. (it's a real thing) or it could have been kids being stupid kids , Or an angry farmer that cut the calves out for a decoy to make it look like there was a different plan that failed.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if they were trying to gut the first one, the one with the calves, and got spooked.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
This happened just a few miles from my house, this isn't the first time moose have been shot and left, it is just the worst case! Makes a person sick.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if they were trying to gut the first one, the one with the calves, and got spooked.
Doubtful, who needs 5 moose for meat? One will more then fill a freezer. This was skumbags being complete A-holes.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
After a months-long investigation, two individuals have been sentenced to jail for killing five moose. In May of 2020, District Game Warden Jonathan Tofteland received the initial report of a dead moose six miles south of Dunseith. District game wardens Tofteland and Sam Feldmann, with the help of the reporting party, found a total of five dead moose in the area that had been shot. One of the moose had two fetuses removed from an incision in the stomach area. A third fetus was found during a necropsy from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department's wildlife lab.

Multiple game wardens from Region 2 found enough evidence and received information from the public that led them to suspects Shawn Morin Jr. and Jake Charbonneau as the individuals responsible. With cooperating confessions from the suspects, the Rolette County State's Attorneys Office was able to charge the two with multiple charges, including illegal taking and wanton waste of big game animal. Morin Jr. confessed to shooting moose on two separate occasions. He shot two by himself and days later went out with Charbonneau and shot three more. They attempted to field dress one of the moose and the fetuses came out, which spooked them so they left all the moose.

Morin Jr. plead guilty to one Class C felony, five Class A misdemeanors and five Class B misdemeanors. He was sentenced to 120 days in jail, loss of all hunting privileges for three years and had to pay $5,560 in fines, fees and restitutions. Morin Jr. will also never be able to hunt moose, elk or bighorn sheep in North Dakota for life.

Charbonneau plead guilty to three Class A misdemeanors and four Class B misdemeanors. He was sentenced to 20 days in jail, 2 years of unsupervised probation and had to pay $2,360 in fines, fees and restitution.

Other agencies that assisted were Bureau of Criminal Investigations and Rolette County Sheriff's Department.

The RAP program was a huge help in this case. The assistance from the public in contacting the district game wardens with information was greatly beneficial in solving this case. The reporting parties will be receiving a reward for their help.

- District Game Warden Jonathan Tofteland

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too light of of a sentence for both of them. Neither should be able to hunt in ND ever again. Period.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
So people always say that these poachers should have stiffer penalties like loss of hunting privileges and or licenses forever. To me it should be more jail time or way higher fines and restitution. It’s obvious that hunting licenses and privileges mean nothing and would stop nothing with these individuals.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, the horror! Smfh

but Charbonneau is good to go

lol

- - - Updated - - -

So people always say that these poachers should have stiffer penalties like loss of hunting privileges and or licenses forever. To me it should be more jail time or way higher fines and restitution. It’s obvious that hunting licenses and privileges mean nothing and would stop nothing with these individuals.

whaaaat? these guys aren't afraid to kill stuff without a license? ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88