muzzleloader equipment question

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I bought my first muzzle loader. I bought a Tc. I was recommended to use blackhorn 209 powder. I can't find any. Anyone have any leads? Also what kind of primer do I use for this outfit? thanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 209 primers in my TC encore muzzleloader along with two 777 powder pellets pushing a 250 gr TC shockwave.
Very accurate combination.
best-muzzleloader-primers-winchester-209.jpg441251.jpg
Screenshot_20220826-103659_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 209 primers in my TC encore muzzleloader along with two 777 powder pellets pushing a 250 gr TC shockwave.
Very accurate combination.
full-18408-210179-img_3791.jpegIMG_4355.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpg

Same here. Triple 7 is all I have ever used and have been pleased with results @ range and in field.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have read that the pellets are very dirty compared to loose powder?? Any thoughts? New to this game so I appreciate it.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am fairly consistent in cleaning Muzzy (T/C) after each time out shooting and cleaning same day as using. Generally do not go much above 10 rounds if at range and I do find a fair amount of residue in barrel. The only disadvantage that I considered when choosing powder vs pellets was that by choosing pellets I would be limited to using 2 or 3 pellets (50 or 100 grain) and nothing in between. It hasn't been an issue as my comfort zone with muzzy ends at 100+ yds. with open sights.... sucks to get old!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found and used BlackHorn powder with total satisfaction last year when I bought my first ML. This powder needs magnum shotgun primers to ignite consistently.

I love it because I can use normal rifle cleaning routine- no water based cleaning and it doesn’t require any scrubbing between shots, etc.

Dirty primer holder ignition channels are a “thing” for Blackhorn - so you just need a drill bit of correct size to keep the breech plug opening cleared. Blackhorn simply needs powerful ignition - so do all you can to accomplish that and you’re good.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ learn more about Blackhorn (and leads on where to find some) here. I’m glad I did. If you can locate some I wouldn’t hesitate to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

also - “primers for muzzleloading” are known not to work with BH powder

- - - Updated - - -

Walmart is a known supplier believe it or not

That’s where I found mine.

Last edited:

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blackhorn 209 powder is good! Not sure about your TC but my CVA Accura and Omega requires a blackhorn compatible breach plug. Or a drilled out standard plug. Use a hot primer. Either federal 209 or CCI magnum. Which ever you choose stick with it. Primers make a difference in grouping. I shoot PT harvester gold sabot and bullet. Very easy loading and accurate. But there are other good combos out there. You just have to find one the works for you.

Scheels still gets Blackhorn in occasionally but they sell out in a few days. Just have to watch or have them call you. Harvest golds you will have to order.

- - - Updated - - -

https://shop.hodgdon.com/shop-all/?...515.1661613457-1795031565.1661613457&brand=44

has three in stock as of a few minutes ago

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Completely sold on Blackhorn powder, I have pellets and loose Triple 7 I will gladly sell as I will not use it anymore. I have found Blackhorn at Scheels and Runnings fairly often

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blackhorn 209 powder is good! Not sure about your TC but my CVA Accura and Omega requires a blackhorn compatible breach plug. Or a drilled out standard plug. Use a hot primer. Either federal 209 or CCI magnum. Which ever you choose stick with it. Primers make a difference in grouping. I shoot PT harvester gold sabot and bullet. Very easy loading and accurate. But there are other good combos out there. You just have to find one the works for you.

Scheels still gets Blackhorn in occasionally but they sell out in a few days. Just have to watch or have them call you. Harvest golds you will have to order.

- - - Updated - - -

https://shop.hodgdon.com/shop-all/?...515.1661613457-1795031565.1661613457&brand=44

has three in stock as of a few minutes ago

I put some powder and charge tubes in my cart from that site. Total about $65. Want to charge me $50 to ship.;:;barf

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use only Blackhorn much cleaner and loads are accurate. Remember it is used by volume and therefore the charge is a measurement by volume. It is not weighted and a setting of 100 does not mean that you have 100 grains of weight. I use charge tubes and federal 209 shotgun primmers in ole T/c Encore let her eat with heavy charge.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is TC out of business?

I have had problems with the first shot after cleaning not being accurate in one gun I owned with the pellets. After that the groups are good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28