Coyote/variment hunting

Hello everyone, been looking to get into coyote hunting with some of my buddies and was wondering if anyone had any tips on scouting/what to look for. I’ve been watching videos and reading online and am planning to try and use lights at night with a e caller my friend bought. Just looking for any tips on where people would recommend on going around the fargo area or grand forks when I head back from break. Any tips on what to look for scouting would also be appreciated. Thanks!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The best sleezy bar you can find should have some coyote ugly in it. Lay by a full pitcher of beer and whimper should do the trick or so I am told. Never mind the pretty ones cause they go home with the bartender. LB

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try to team up with someone that knows what they are doing.
Coyotes aren't stupid and won't make the same mistake twice.
Pups make more mistakes than adults, so try and get the adults first.
When you learn how to do it, you will still make mistakes once in a while but it is a hoot and I certainly miss it.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wherever you find deer trks, you'll find yotes.

MULEDEER

Established Member
I would get out of the flat land for starters. Find a rancher who is feeding cows or soon to calve cows the yote won't be far away. Be nice most landowners will let you on for yote

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never seen a variment. I guess it would be important to use enough gun.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch the down wind side. They will go there nearly every time. Lost two tonight due to it. They got downwind before they were close enough. Happens a lot.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hope your going for the fun of it, Coyotes aren't worth much

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like most other critters this time of year, with the snow we've had, coyotes will be in the deeper cover. Also like other critters, due to little habitat, there are relatively few in the RRV, and the ones that are here are pretty educated.
Seems like there's always a wave of new coyote hunters this time of year. Unfortunately, most of them are just out there long enough to dick it up for everyone else before they give up. If you do enough research, and (preferably) have someone show you the ropes, maybe you won't be one of those. I could write a book on what not to do, but here are some of the most important tips:

1. The wind trumps all. If it's not going to work for a set, don't try to force it. You want it in your face. You can make a cross-wind work if you have someone to guard the downwind. They will almost always try to circle downwind.
2. Get out of the truck and walk. If you try to drive too close to your set, they will not cooperate.
3. Do not skyline yourself. You need some cover behind you, or they will pick you out. -- Consider the expected approach. For example, if you are near the top of a hill, you will still be skylined to them if they are approaching from a low angle (like through a creek bottom).
4. Start with low volume on the caller for the first few minutes. They may be closer than you expect. Too much volume will blow them out.
5. If you see one coming, ease back on the volume as they approach.
6. When you're on a set, keep any movements slow and limited, but also keep your head on a swivel. They sometimes come from directions you don't expect.

Thats all for now. Good luck.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88