Hearing Protection

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I have been using I am sure is not good enough. Use a cheap set of ear muffs over foam plugs. Without breaking the bank I am going to purchase something better. Under $100 buck is my goal. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? I don't know what else to do except muffs over foam. I don't see how electronics would improve this. IDK...You been doing the loud music and drinking thing? For some reason I hear alcohol enhances vulnerability to ear damage. Are you around the constant drone of machinery etc? THAT'S the sneaky shit.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is what to look for when buying hearing protection.....All hearing protection is assigned a "Noise Reduction Rating" or NRR. Plugs will generally have a higher NRR than muffs. The highest NRR I have seen for plugs is 33 and for muffs, 31. The NRR will be noted on the packaging for the plugs or muffs.

The impulse noise from a 30 caliber rife runs between 155-165 decibels. To calculate the effectiveness of ear protection, subtract 7 from the NRR and divide that by 2. This will give you the decrease in decibels provided by your plugs or muffs.

Wearing muffs with plugs only provides you with an additional 5 decibels decrease. Do not combine the NRR's as the remaining noise you are hearing is transmitted through your skull, face, etc.

For example, lets say the noise from your rifle is 155 decibels and you are wearing plugs with an NRR of 31:

31-7 divided by 2=24 decibels of protection
155-24= 131 decibel exposure
Add muffs (-5) = 126 decibel exposure.

For reference, the OSHA threshold for an impulse noise is 140 decibels. Muffs with your plugs is a good idea.

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this the new math they talk about? My figuring gets 143 ???? Without muffs . Help!!!! :oops:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without knowing the decibels produced by your gun you won't be able to get an exact number. Decibels will vary with caliber and barrel length.

There are free sound level meter apps for your phone that will get you pretty close. Have someone hold your phone next to your ear to record the decibels reaching your ear. Then subtract the protection determined by the NRR formula.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this the new math they talk about? My figuring gets 143 ???? Without muffs . Help!!!! :oops:
I think the formula came in back in the early 80's....not really new math. You'll need to know the decibels produced by your gun as well as the NRR for your plugs and muffs in order to calculate your exposure accurately. Do you know those numbers?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using these ear plugs for quite a few years now and like them. Wish I woulda wore something back when I waterfowl hunted all the time. Have a constant ringing in my ears already
Screenshot_20230328_211719_Amazon Shopping.jpg

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the formula came in back in the early 80's....not really new math. You'll need to know the decibels produced by your gun as well as the NRR for your plugs and muffs in order to calculate your exposure accurately. Do you know those numbers?
Well if 31 - 7 divided by 2 is 24, that is new math to me. Old math that is 12. LOL I am not trying to find out my decibels. I am lucky as my hearing is ok so far. Just was curious with the arithmetic. Good info tho. Thanks

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well if 31 - 7 divided by 2 is 24, that is new math to me. Old math that is 12. LOL I am not trying to find out my decibels. I am lucky as my hearing is ok so far. Just was curious with the arithmetic. Good info tho. Thanks
Ha! That's what happens when you type too fast. Yes, 12 is correct..

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha! That's what happens when you type too fast. Yes, 12 is correct..
All well and good NDW. That's like tweaking a racecar. It just occurred to me to stuff earphones with cotton balls except that may be racist.
Only if your cotton is white, and your earphones are black.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks! Very good info here.

I
have watched a few videos of Hickok45 and he has some orange plugs that are connected. Anyone know the brand???

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy a suppressor. Otherwise, I have found most of the electronic muffs to be pretty decent.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84