Hearing Protection

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
plugs.jpg

Check out your local audiologist. They may be able to mold you a custom pair of plugs to fit your ears.

I use these and a pair of ear muffs.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many years ago, when we shot metallic silhouette shooting, we used std shooting earmuffs, but they were a pain to deal with. Later on when shooting high power and combat deals I went to an audiologist and got a good set and love them to this day. Not cheap but well worth the money in long run. My friends have better earmuffs now like $100 to $250 don't remember brand. Small light weight style.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zogman, go see Kevin Fire Audiology on Washington, he’ll get you fitted for custom plugs. It’s been a while for me but I believe you’ll stay pretty close to your budget.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a large breasted woman stand behind you and put a nipple in each ear than who cares. LB
Oh the old rear facing motor boatin trick I like it 👌
I use the disposable foam ones when I deal with all loud noises

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been using the Howard Leight Impact Sport for years and have been happy. They are fairly low profile and not expensive. The electronic muffs work the same as regular muffs except they have a microphone on the exterior and speakers interior. Any noise above a loud threshold is not sent through the speakers. This means you can still talk and hear. You can also turn up the volume to amplify beyond regular hearing so I've heard critters walking which I wouldn't have heard otherwise. With the volume up I can hear the sound of walking on carpet inside. I use them in addition to plugs at the range and have used muffs without plugs in the field.

I received a pair of Decibullz plugs as a gift last year and I like them better than foam plugs. They filter noise so offer better low volume hearing. They also stay in place without having to compress and fidget with positioning. They are DIY molded using hot water and patience. An extra set of hands is a must to get the fit right, and a bad fit renders them useless.

I now wear the Decibullz plus Howard Leight electronic muffs whenever feasible. Only get one set of ears and I know a lot of old guys that don't hear for shit.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember, something is better than nothing. I have for years bought the foam plugs in bulk and just never regret putting them in. My hearing has remained decent through the years despite growing up on the old 2-cylinder, loud as FU$K John Deere tractors. I do think it's a good chance why I have always had a little difficulty hearing in places with loud backgrounds, but there has been little to no slippage in my hearing ever since. Awfully thankful for that!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone think stuffing the headphones with cotton or TP would have any measurable effect?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember, something is better than nothing. I have for years bought the foam plugs in bulk and just never regret putting them in. My hearing has remained decent through the years despite growing up on the old 2-cylinder, loud as FU$K John Deere tractors. I do think it's a good chance why I have always had a little difficulty hearing in places with loud backgrounds, but there has been little to no slippage in my hearing ever since. Awfully thankful for that!
Allen the foam plugs, when worn properly, actually have the higher NRRs. No need to break the bank.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As a kid in the 70's I used filters off of cigarette's some cotton balls and headphones fixed to a hardhat, now use foam plugs and going to try some Walker headphones with walkie talkie's with the grandkids, still got pretty good hearing

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My tinnitus has progressed to the point where it wakes me up in the night. Lack of sleep is the norm for me. Not fun to say the least. Anyway heed others' recommendations to always wear hearing protection. I wish I had earlier in my life . . .
I'm the same. I can't sleep without white noise to block the noise in my ears. I run at hepa cleaner all the time at night. It really helps. I even have an app on my phone for times I'm away from home.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm the same. I can't sleep without white noise to block the noise in my ears. I run at hepa cleaner all the time at night. It really helps. I even have an app on my phone for times I'm away from home.
Does your ears even sometimes hurt when some people speak at a certain pitch? And I am not talking loudness of the voice, just the pitch. That is what I think I am also experiencing. ??

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does your ears even sometimes hurt when some people speak at a certain pitch? And I am not talking loudness of the voice, just the pitch. That is what I think I am also experiencing. ??
Yes. High pitched voices drive me up the wall.

Actually my hearing aids help quite a bit in reducing the hiss in my ears. Of course I still can't hear.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84