My DIY tackle projects

sd fisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mike please show a pic of your brushes and painting area. How much does the brush you use cost? I have a lot of beat up lures and crappy colors from the package deals I got on Ebay and might want to touch them up.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0943.jpg
Picked up the desk off of bismanonline for 50$. Each bottle of paint is roughly $5. Half of that row is stacked two deep. The helping hands thing cost $6 on ebay. Not very good quality but it works. My wash bottles are just condiment bottles from walmart. I think those were $1 for the set.

I use a Badger Patriot 105 with a super fine detail needle kit. The needle it comes with just sprays too much paint.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W84GTO/?tag=nodakangler10-20

The Super fine detail kit:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/badger-airbrush-needlenozzle-replacement-kits/

Createx airbrush paint:
http://www.createxcolors.com/airbrushcolors.html

I started off with a little compressor that was maybe $60. If you have a pancake compressor or smaller 8-6 gallon compressor, they will work much better. In fact, I'm in the process of buying a different compressor because mine starts to overheat after one lure. You just need to have an inline moisture filter in place and a couple different connectors to neck it down to the air brush hose.

For top coats, I use devcon 2-ton 30 min epoxy or Moisture-Cured urethane. You will need some mixing cups and disposable paint brushes. I think you can get 100 brushes for a dollar at most big box stores.

Templates and stencils are limited to your own imagination. I've used masking tape, plastic sheets, combs, loofas, hole punches, exacto knives, fingers, etc. to create patterns.

First and foremost, watch some youtube videos on painting lures.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll put up your original floater and husky jerk tonight. They're done and I'm waiting for a case of hamms golden light.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll put up your original floater and husky jerk tonight. They're done and I'm waiting for a case of hamms golden light.

I haven't seen Hamm's Golden since our trip back from MN when we got a case for your dad and my dad... Sad to think they probably don't' make it anymore

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot to get picture of those two rap's last night. Cleaned up the tackle room because I was bored. Even dug out my jig tying vice and got that ready to go.

We may need to head behind enemy lines to find some. Or employ your brother in law.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I already posted a picture in the album section but I figured I'd update this thread as well. I bought at teardrop jig mold to ease the pain of losing the H2O precision jigs every time. After borrowing the melting equipment from Ghost (thank you), I had my first batch of jigs ready for paint. I started off with 10 which took me under an hour to finish paint and top coat. Now if I could only find a way to make my own slender spoons.

image1.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I already posted a picture in the album section but I figured I'd update this thread as well. I bought at teardrop jig mold to ease the pain of losing the H2O precision jigs every time. After borrowing the melting equipment from Ghost (thank you), I had my first batch of jigs ready for paint. I started off with 10 which took me under an hour to finish paint and top coat. Now if I could only find a way to make my own slender spoons.

image.jpg

I hope you poured a metric shit-ton of those.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Case of busch light and about 10 lbs of lead left. The damn bait keepers are just as much as hooks.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg
Got tired of switching out each bait after a coat of paint. I built this in about two Busch lights with 5$ in materials.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those all look great friend. Kind of getting to the point of actual art. You are welcome.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha. That was the wife. I should have her paint these. She has more artistic ability in her pinkie finger.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha.. I just noticed the "paint me like one of your French lures" yellow sticky note.

Ha! I saw that sticky note, but hadn't read it until now. Very funny. Natalie has a great sense of humor. Just think how crazy she'd be if you let her have some of that chowda'.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha! I saw that sticky note, but hadn't read it until now. Very funny. Natalie has a great sense of humor. Just think how crazy she'd be if you let her have some of that chowda'.

She can catch her own rainbows.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lov2hunt and I put the hurting on some saugers and lonely walleye last night. Well, not exactly a hurting but we did get to feel the thump of a fish on a jig. The new 3/8's ones I poured and painted catch fish.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do catch fish and I am happy not to have lost one of those jigs! :;:rockit

Lov2hunt and I put the hurting on some saugers and lonely walleye last night. Well, not exactly a hurting but we did get to feel the thump of a fish on a jig. The new 3/8's ones I poured and painted catch fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88