ND Antelope draw

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't hold your breath with 4 points. Last year there was over 6,000 applicants for 177 tags after gratis. Antelope is going to get bad like deer with point creep with a vast majority of the applicants having 4 points or more.

It's really ridiculous. I'm keeping that first week of October open in hopes that I draw a tag, but I'm going to be seriously ticked off if I don't. that's kind of the doldrums of the hunting season. Ducks won't be migrating and NR's will be shooting all the locals. Deer aren't chasing yet so bowhunting is slow. Pheasant isn't open.

I would really like to bowhunt for them, but I wasn't going to keep that first week of Sept. open just to find out 1 week before. Let's hope 4 points is enough!

Last edited:

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I wish it would it be done sooner too. Give a person a little time to plan or not.

While we go out west for archery deer each year, being able to go after a pronghorn would be a bonus and doesn't affect our travel plans for that. However, if I need to plan for time to go with the rifle, a month ahead doesn't help much with planning work schedules.

Does anyone recall from the meetings - I could have sworn that at one of the meetings they said that after last year the gratis tags wouldn't take as long to verify since it would be recorded and only those that changed would need to be verified. That was one thing I asked in my last email to them but that went unanswered. Too bad the meetings weren't recorded and available online.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I am sure with my one point, or maybe its even zero, I am going to draw. I seem to pull a rabbit every so often.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do we really have point creep though with a bonus point system? Isn't that really only a concern on a true preference system like in Colorado? Here in ND you always have a chance to draw, albeit slim if you have no points...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just going to draw a tag, sneak up on a 17 incher at 11:45 and drop him in his bed at 12:01. Welp, see ya later.

- - - Updated - - -

This one would do in a pinch:
Gallo-2.jpg

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I would say a different version of point creep. True we all have a chance to draw in ND. For example in Wyoming the tags go to the person that has the highest amount of points. That isn't the case in ND as we all have a shot, you are correct. I just feel with more people building preference points lately because they don't draw a tag that most are gaining points and putting many more people into the category where we start to cube their points. Its just a much tougher draw now because more people have the points with few tags given out.

Do we really have point creep though with a bonus point system? Isn't that really only a concern on a true preference system like in Colorado? Here in ND you always have a chance to draw, albeit slim if you have no points...

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Big J is trying to say is we have a giant pull tab jar with very few winners because the NDGF manages for bucks and not does. Maybe the big game biologists should visit a cattle ranch and see how many bulls per cow there are and go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if Toby is getting an antelope license. :;:huh

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8