ND Game and Fish stats

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember that airport game check station, it really put the spotlight on just how NR's and our guides/outfitters and pay-for-hunt operations rolled.

And like SDMF noted, nothing like it has taken place since that I am aware of.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a game and fish story, but rather Border Patrol. Going into Canada years ago, on bus with a bunch of teens from a church. They were all told to keep quiet while the Patrol came on the bus. All went well, until the agents were about to leave, and one smart@ss kid asked "how do we get easy jobs like yours?".

We spent hours unloading and reloading that bus.

Best thing to do with pretty much any LEO is to do what they say, be polite, and keep your "funny" comments to yourself, until you're driving away.

How did the smart@ss kid feel about unloading and reloading the bus by his own self??? Would have been a good lesson for him to learn.

Last edited:

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's pretty easy to see why Ramsey County leads in tickets issued and toss Benson County into the mix in the 3rd spot as Devils Lake sits primarily in both Counties. Not to make this slanted towards any one particular group of people, but the White Bass craze with people from the "Twin Cities", I can see how an officer can stop one vehicle or approach one group and probably write 10 tickets from that one interaction. The warden may be writing tickets for not having a license and being over the limit all in one stop. Those stats add up fast when you write them 5 to 10 at a time.

I've watched it happen. I applaud the wardens for doing their job. You have nothing to be afraid of if you follow the rules.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's pretty easy to see why Ramsey County leads in tickets issued and toss Benson County into the mix in the 3rd spot as Devils Lake sits primarily in both Counties. Not to make this slanted towards any one particular group of people, but the White Bass craze with people from the "Twin Cities", I can see how an officer can stop one vehicle or approach one group and probably write 10 tickets from that one interaction. The warden may be writing tickets for not having a license and being over the limit all in one stop. Those stats add up fast when you write them 5 to 10 at a time.

I've watched it happen. I applaud the wardens for doing their job. You have nothing to be afraid of if you follow the rules.

If enforcement of game laws rather than protecting tourists $$ was the primary concern of wardens who patrol the DL basin they’d be writing 300 violations/Mo rather than 1.1/day. Fri-Monday there should be game checks of both incoming and outgoing vehicles/boats. Incoming non-ND purchased leeches and boat checks for zebra muscles like is required in WY prior to launching. Outgoing boats and vehicles should be checked for quantities. There should be in-coming/out-going game checks on Hwy 2, 200, I-94, 281, and I-29. The problem is ND G&F is scared shitless to be accused of interrupting tourism $$ for even small-scale active enforcement.

1.1 tickets/day in Ramsey Co is a JOKE! A sad sad JOKE.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many people are checked VS tickets issued per day? No one should be upset with the lack of violations issued if the number of people checked is high. That just means people are following the rules.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
If enforcement of game laws rather than protecting tourists $$ was the primary concern of wardens who patrol the DL basin they’d be writing 300 violations/Mo rather than 1.1/day. Fri-Monday there should be game checks of both incoming and outgoing vehicles/boats. Incoming non-ND purchased leeches and boat checks for zebra muscles like is required in WY prior to launching. Outgoing boats and vehicles should be checked for quantities. There should be in-coming/out-going game checks on Hwy 2, 200, I-94, 281, and I-29. The problem is ND G&F is scared shitless to be accused of interrupting tourism $$ for even small-scale active enforcement.

I don't think ND G&F is scared of anything when it comes to interrupting tourism $$. Did you see what they did with Conservation Fees in fishing tournaments? It was debated pretty heavily over the last year. Not that I care one way or the other, but any big tourney that contributed to the tourism and economy gave the State a flying middle finger and pulled out. Your comment holds no merit on that basis alone.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think ND G&F is scared of anything when it comes to interrupting tourism $$. Did you see what they did with Conservation Fees in fishing tournaments? It was debated pretty heavily over the last year. Not that I care one way or the other, but any big tourney that contributed to the tourism and economy gave the State a flying middle finger and pulled out. Your comment holds no merit on that basis alone.

1.1 Tickets/day in Ramsey County? With just a little effort they could write 20-30 tickets/day on Hwy's 2, 20, and 57 on any given Friday afternoon, Sat AM, or Sunday afternoon from Memorial Day to Labor Day for drain-plug, live well, and out of state bait alone. With a bit of a concerted effort and communication between multiple ramps I'm certain they could write 400 tickets in the summer just for boats "double-dipping" limits of fish as well, especially on days just prior to or just after "big-blow" days that keep boats off of Devils.

When I elk hunt in MT, they're not shy about having mandatory game checks on the 2 roads in/out of an area. Everyone's gotta stop, doesn't matter if you killed something or not, get in line and wait your turn. That's active enforcement. Mandating out of state boats get inspected for ANS prior to launch like they do in WY is active enforcement. We've got a couple of billboards though, thanks for playing.

ND G&F treats people similarly to the clerks @ Trader Joe's in New York who let the guy just walk out with 10 shoplifted steaks.

Ramsey county is it's own beast, but the glacial lakes and stocked sloughs of central and SE ND are another area of true enforcement neglect.

I've fished Devils Lake 30-50 days/summer since 2003. I've been checked by game wardens on the lake, on shore, at cleaning stations, all combined a grand total of ONCE in 19 summers.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member

Tell me you wanna live in a police state without telling me you wanna live in a police state..

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell me you wanna live in a police state without telling me you wanna live in a police state..

Well, when ND G&F did game-checks at the airports and reported the results, people got righteously irritated with the ~90% violation rate. So the solution became to stop doing game checks at the airports.

Being checked 1 day on Devils Lake out of ~500-600 days on the lake is an awful long ways from a "police state".

A game/ANS/out of state bait check 1x-2x/Mo during the summer on Hwy 2, 200, I-94, I-29, 281, 46, 13, 23, and 83 in random order sure wouldn't be out of line though. Same could go for a few game checks set up during deer archery/gun seasons, as well as randomly during waterfowl and upland seasons.

There's a long way between "police state" and token enforcement. We don't even have token enforcement right now.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Go to DL everyweekend --- 2 is loaded with scons and sotas --- the tourism from tourneys is shit compared to the visitors to DL

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet there's a LARGE number of those getting caught without licenses that are Mnong from Minneaplis. They would also be the count for over the legal limit of fish since they pack multiple coolers to the brim of white bass before heading back home.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF,

I enjoy seeing cheaters penalized, but throwing out the 4th Amendment to enforce game laws is not okay.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet there's a LARGE number of those getting caught without licenses that are Mnong from Minneaplis. They would also be the count for over the legal limit of fish since they pack multiple coolers to the brim of white bass before heading back home.

For the "over-limit" counts, I'd be more inclined to look @ groups w/2-3 boats and 4-5 guys/boat staying in town/resorts/campgrounds for 5-7 days. Same goes for waterfowl and upland hunters who use their 2 7 day periods back-to-back, where are all the birds going?

- - - Updated - - -

SDMF,

I enjoy seeing cheaters penalized, but throwing out the 4th Amendment to enforce game laws is not okay.

Neither game check points nor mandatory ANS inspection prior to launch violate the 4th amendment.

Directly from MT FWP regs:

Check Stations (MCA 87-6-218) - All hunters are required by
law to stop as directed at all designated check stations on their way to and from hunting areas, even if they have no game to be checked.

Directly from WY G&F regarding ANS:

[h=3]Regulations to Protect Wyoming's Resources[/h][FONT=&quot]• Any watercraft transported into Wyoming from [/FONT]March 1 through November 30[FONT=&quot] must undergo a [/FONT]mandatory inspection[FONT=&quot] by an authorized inspector prior to launching. Any watercraft that has been in a water infested with zebra/quagga mussels within the last 30 days is required to undergo a [/FONT]mandatory inspection[FONT=&quot] by an authorized inspector prior to launching [/FONT]during ALL months of the year[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A male Karen is now referred to as a Neil.

I don't think stopping and checking for no reason is a reason. I don't believe in spot checks, or any of that. Witness the wrong doing, or someone else reports it, or leave them the fuck alone.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
The checkpoints described seem unreasonable to me. Guilty till proven innocent is not how our legal system is suppose to work

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Random, "surprise" checkpoints absolutely violate the 4th Amendment. TSA checkpoints violate the 4th Amendment. Tyrants use checkpoints. I understand there are laws and practices in effect that have been ruled acceptable. It doesn't change the fact they are in conflict with the 4th Amendment which is below for reference. Emphasis on "probable cause".

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88