ND State Wrestling

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do tell I don't know the story about Lehman, are you talking about Travis

This was back in 2009. West Fargo had always been a contender for the State Duals Title, but fell short (usually to Bismarck). Well, it just so happened that Fargo native Tyler Lehmann, who had been wrestling at Minnesota proverbial powerhouse Apple Valley since he was a high school freshman, decided to attend West Fargo for his senior year (mind you his family is from Fargo and he'd originally wrestled for North prior to getting recruited...er...transferring to Apple Valley). The reasoning, he explained, was to finish his high school career alongside his younger brother, Preston (then a freshman).

Tyler racked up back-to-back championships with AV at 171 pounds and was heading to West Fargo with a flawless 49-0 record the previous year. He was set to bump up as starter at 189 (where he was ranked No. 2 in the entire flipping USA) while Preston was starting at 160.

So far, big deal right? I mean at face value, it's a nice story. Brotherly love. Going out on a high note. Blah, blah, blah...

But then things get interesting.

Two Lehmann cousins from Wahpeton transfer up to West Fargo at the same time. Erik and Michael, though neither as proficient as their Fargo relatives, definitely can hold their own.

And the cherry on top is that Scott Schiller, the Packers' reigning state champion at 189, is set to lead the team at 215.

Along with a lineup full of top talent, West Fargo has officially stacked the deck to finally dethrone Bismarck from a decade of state dual titles.

After beating Dickinson, the Packers face off against No. 2 Century. It's a close matchup, when West Fargo suddenly finds themselves down. The Patriots win four in a row and take the lead 35-30. The Packers need a pin in order to win. Who's up? Freshman Preston Lehmann versus Landon Schmidt at 160. Preston is having a hot season, but this is do or die. And he's doing everything he can to get Landon down. Then he does something that blows the roof off the Fargodome. "The Twister." With this weird, flipping back handspring, Lehmann vaults himself over Landon totally taking him off guard. Boom. Pin, and the Packers sqeak out a 1-point victory.

So here it is. Bismarck versus West Fargo. The top two Class A teams in the state.

Just like Century, the Packers jumped out to an early lead only to watch it slowly dissolve. Once again it came down to the 160-pound match, and once again Preston pulled out "The Twister" for the win.

What was really beautiful, however, were the individual titles. A seventh grader, Jordan Shearer, won his first state title after forcing OT and winning with the extra time. This would be his first of what would become SIX straight individual championships (a North Dakota record) and high school career record of 259-21. Unprecedented, to say the least.

While Preston played a huge part in the duals victory, he wound up finishing second individually. Otherwise the other Lehmanns swept up, with Tyler and Eric both earning crowns. Oh, and Scott Schiller, too. Yeah, it was his third straight state championship, and it helped earn him Class A Mr. Wrestler for the 2009-10 season. He's currently finishing out his career with the Gophers.

Anywho, that was it in a nutshell. There were a lot of grumblings, which were probably valid. The next year, Eric and Michael left WF and, obviously, Tyler and Scott graduated. Preston kept improving, as well.

You just know the planets didn't align out of the blue. There was some careful preparation and, wrong or right, it paid off for West Fargo.

From a pure spectator standpoint, that dual tournament was incredibly exciting.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. Forgot about the piatz's. I didn't know Sperle was a napoleon name. So, which one of those 5 families are you
Where is Kleppe :;:huh

- - - Updated - - -

This was back in 2009. West Fargo had always been a contender for the State Duals Title, but fell short (usually to Bismarck). Well, it just so happened that Fargo native Tyler Lehmann, who had been wrestling at Minnesota proverbial powerhouse Apple Valley since he was a high school freshman, decided to attend West Fargo for his senior year (mind you his family is from Fargo and he'd originally wrestled for North prior to getting recruited...er...transferring to Apple Valley). The reasoning, he explained, was to finish his high school career alongside his younger brother, Preston (then a freshman).

Tyler racked up back-to-back championships with AV at 171 pounds and was heading to West Fargo with a flawless 49-0 record the previous year. He was set to bump up as starter at 189 (where he was ranked No. 2 in the entire flipping USA) while Preston was starting at 160.

So far, big deal right? I mean at face value, it's a nice story. Brotherly love. Going out on a high note. Blah, blah, blah...

Two Lehmann cousins from Wahpeton transfer up to West Fargo at the same time. Erik and Michael, though neither as proficient as their Fargo relatives, definitely can hold their own.

And the cherry on top is that Scott Schiller, the Packers' reigning state champion at 189, is set to lead the team at 215.

Along with a lineup full of top talent, West Fargo has officially stacked the deck to finally dethrone Bismarck from a decade of state dual titles.

After beating Dickinson, the Packers face off against No. 2 Century. It's a close matchup, when West Fargo suddenly finds themselves down. The Patriots win four in a row and take the lead 35-30. The Packers need a pin in order to win. Who's up? Freshman Preston Lehmann versus Landon Schmidt at 160. Preston is having a hot season, but this is do or die. And he's doing everything he can to get Landon down. Then he does something that blows the roof off the Fargodome. "The Twister." With this weird, flipping back handspring, Lehmann vaults himself over Landon totally taking him off guard. Boom. Pin, and the Packers sqeak out a 1-point victory.

So here it is. Bismarck versus West Fargo. The top two Class A teams in the state.

Just like Century, the Packers jumped out to an early lead only to watch it slowly dissolve. Once again it came down to the 160-pound match, and once again Preston pulled out "The Twister" for the win.

What was really beautiful, however, were the individual titles. A seventh grader, Jordan Shearer, won his first state title after forcing OT and winning with the extra time. This would be his first of what would become SIX straight individual championships (a North Dakota record) and high school career record of 259-21. Unprecedented, to say the least.

While Preston played a huge part in the duals victory, he wound up finishing second individually. Otherwise the other Lehmanns swept up, with Tyler and Eric both earning crowns. Oh, and Scott Schiller, too. Yeah, it was his third straight state championship, and it helped earn him Class A Mr. Wrestler for the 2009-10 season. He's currently finishing out his career with the Gophers.

Anywho, that was it in a nutshell. There were a lot of grumblings, which were probably valid. The next year, Eric and Michael left WF and, obviously, Tyler and Scott graduated. Preston kept improving, as well.

You just know the planets didn't align out of the blue. There was some careful preparation and, wrong or right, it paid off for West Fargo.

Thanks

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok add in Kleppe, Fettig that makes up 92% of Napoleon. I'm part of the 8% but was born and raised and have lived here for 32yrs.
Side note GREATEST wrestling team EVER in ND was the 06-07 team that was the first and will be the ONLY class B school to win the Rotary.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Although they were a very good team, the 1988 Century team is the team on top of history. I only ever tangled with Tommy Gross and Kevin McCleary. But we had some awesome duals back in the day.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
92 demons as far as I know is the only team from North dakota to be named #1 team in the nation

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Napoleon being one of the smallest schools to put together a wrestling program in the state. Less the 100 students in the whole high school. You have too be LUCKY to get 20 kids on the team. Not a big town school where u can pick and choose who's the best. This was a team of pure talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my freshman yr. The team make up was 0 Sr, 1 jr, 0 soph, 4 fres and the rest was 7-8 graders. There was talk off stopping the program. Fast forward to 02 state team/ duels champs and so on for the next 4yrs

64Mustang

Founding Member
Founding Member

nice Recap....from a parent of one of the kids you mentioned, I'd like to point out that there was no wrong doing on the coaching staff part....They can't control who comes into the school system, nor did they encourage it. .....imho it was a couple sets of parents that wanted all the cousins to wrestle together for one year and they happened to pick WF, a logical choice as they already had a nucleus of really good kids in the room. That is proved pretty easily when history shows that the two Wahpeton Lehmans went back to Wahpeton the next year. One of those parents even offered to bring in another salty kid from Colorado late in January (I personally heard the conversation) to fill one of the lower weights when the parent could see that WF was a little weaker than Bismarck; to which the coaching staff told him that he could not do that.

My youngest son still wrestles for WF, he is looking for his second title this year.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Napoleon being one of the smallest schools to put together a wrestling program in the state. Less the 100 students in the whole high school. You have too be LUCKY to get 20 kids on the team. Not a big town school where u can pick and choose who's the best. This was a team of pure talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my freshman yr. The team make up was 0 Sr, 1 jr, 0 soph, 4 fres and the rest was 7-8 graders. There was talk off stopping the program. Fast forward to 02 state team/ duels champs and so on for the next 4yrs

Napoleon has had a lot of good teams going back into the 90s, between them, Carrington, Oaks, or Lisbon.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

I hear ya man. There were 4 of us my senior year. All seniors too.

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when i was in school it was for only football. I think they may now with also kidder co. but i'm guessing its just little kids.
Although back in 98 when we won state we had a Engelhardt who attended school at Steele and we happened to beat WC by a small margin there was a huge stink about it.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 06-07 I "wrestled" Kris McCleary for the 215 state championship. I put the word "wrestled" in quotations for a reason. I'll just sat it was a humbling experience and he was a great competitor.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. Forgot about the piatz's. I didn't know Sperle was a napoleon name. So, which one of those 5 families are you

Actually I'm related to very few if any Reis', Piatz's, Gross' and Weigel's. My mother was a Sperle and her mother was a Becker. Most had large families and married locally so that ties me to at least half the home growns even though there are not a lot of Sperles left there. The other half of the town is related through my dad's side who was not a Reis, Gross, Weigel, Piatz or Jangula. By the way, The Kleppe's were from Kintyre and were not Greman-Russian so they have very few relatives in Napoleon. Also, many of the star Bismarck athletes over the years have parents or grandparents from Napoleon. Some of the more notables were: Brunner, Welder, Engelhart, Johnson, Gums, Dreager, Lang, Wentz, Becker, Schumacher, etc., etc. Not too many basketball players (except the girls) but lots of wrestlers and some football players. The McClery's and Laber's were born in Napoleon but their parents were immigrants. ;-)

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
nice Recap....from a parent of one of the kids you mentioned, I'd like to point out that there was no wrong doing on the coaching staff part....They can't control who comes into the school system, nor did they encourage it. .....imho it was a couple sets of parents that wanted all the cousins to wrestle together for one year and they happened to pick WF, a logical choice as they already had a nucleus of really good kids in the room. That is proved pretty easily when history shows that the two Wahpeton Lehmans went back to Wahpeton the next year. One of those parents even offered to bring in another salty kid from Colorado late in January (I personally heard the conversation) to fill one of the lower weights when the parent could see that WF was a little weaker than Bismarck; to which the coaching staff told him that he could not do that.

My youngest son still wrestles for WF, he is looking for his second title this year.

Oh I know it was technically legit. And I spoke to Kayle Dangerud many, many times. He was, IMHO, an honest, diligent, good-natured coach. I'm sure it wasn't he who sparked the moves. But if a bunch of parents chat and come to you saying they want to bring in some top talent so the boys can wrestle together for a year, well, what do you say?? The Forum actually ran a few stories because it was brought up and the (I believe) state athletic association looked into it. Like I said, it made for some exciting wrestling! And even after that year, WF didn't really lose any mustard.

Man, they were fun to watch. Probably still are, although I'll admit I don't pay much attendant these days now that my job.

Actually, the coolest kids I think I interviewed were actually elementary kids! Brothers from Harwood. God, can't remember their names. But I went to their house and I think we talked about hunting and fishing more than wrestling. Still made a story out of it. From all the dead critters on the wall, we definitely were kindred spirits.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
back in the day, Well in JR high,in the 70"s, I suprisingly beat out another wrestler for the chance to go to New Salem, since being from Bismarck we thought we were the elite, well I drew a Nagel kid, and coach Olsen said don't muscle a farm boy, Well. when the ref said "ready wrestle," I obviously was not, humbled to say the least

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88