NDSU not immune to PC Police

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]NDSU president wants revision of school song for 'troubling' cultural references[/h]
FARGO – The president of North Dakota State University is calling for an immediate revision of the school song due to "troubling" cultural and ethnic references in the third verse, he wrote in an email to campus on Wednesday.

The third verse of "The Yellow and the Green" includes the sentence, "Hushed upon the boundless prairies is the bison's thund'ring tread, and the red man passes with him on his spoilers' bounty fed."
President Dean Bresciani said in the email that he had never heard the song beyond its first verse, and when the third came to his attention, he felt the matter called for immediate attention.
"While some may initially find it an overstated concern, others will find it central to a deep and sober examination of our campus history," he wrote.
He said the verse is troubling in its references to both minority and majority populations.
After the line regarding the "red man," the verse continues, "But the Norse, the Celt and Saxon with their herd increase, and find mid these fields of green and yellow plenty e'en for all mankind."
Bresciani is now ordering that all but the first verse be removed from NDSU websites and publications. He has also asked the provost and vice president for student affairs to form a group of students, faculty and staff to study the song and "offer recommendations on the balance between our history and tradition of the song with contemporary concerns for its appropriateness."
Bresciani said this issue was brought to his attention through NDSU's "system for confidential reporting of bias issues."

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what a jack ass. worst part is he'll get away with it. there probably wasn't a native alive that knew that was even in there but now they'll be protesting up the ass all over the place about how offended they were over something they didn't even know existed lol

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing that bothers me the most is this.....DOES THE PRESIDENT OF THE BIGGEST UNIVERSITY IN THE STATE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN THIS?!?!?!?!?!?! If I were still a student there, I would protest his salary as a waste of university funds.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing that bothers me the most is this.....DOES THE PRESIDENT OF THE BIGGEST UNIVERSITY IN THE STATE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN THIS?!?!?!?!?!?! If I were still a student there, I would protest his salary as a waste of university funds.

With any luck, his contract will not be renewed in July. He has been simply awful in this office.

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm native...and I don't find this or the Sioux nickname offensive. This being said, maybe you shouldn't judge people as a whole. Just sayin....

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like hes making a problem where there was none.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nobody said anything about every Indian raising hell. Some folks need to stop being immediately defensive about race.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see why tuition cost so much. It pays for geniuses like this to look for problems that don't exist without their help. Without him we would all remain in ignorant bliss.:::

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
1976 NDSU grad. Have never had much respect for Bresciani. Comes across as an arrogant POS, but just my opinion. Can't wait for the annual call to support the University with $$. We are done with any donation to this institution. Out-of-state waivers, challenges in determining who should pay out-of-state tuition, liberal mindset, and much much more has finally put us over the top. Board of Higher Ed needs to sprout a pair and deal with these out of control institutions.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
1976 NDSU grad. Have never had much respect for Bresciani. Comes across as an arrogant POS, but just my opinion. Can't wait for the annual call to support the University with $$. We are done with any donation to this institution. Out-of-state waivers, challenges in determining who should pay out-of-state tuition, liberal mindset, and much much more has finally put us over the top. Board of Higher Ed needs to sprout a pair and deal with these out of control institutions.

Loss of $$ is the ONLY thing these jackwagons MIGHT understand.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get calls for money all the time. It always starts out at $500, then 250, 100, anything. As long as I keep hearing about a presidency that uses funds in a way other than to better the school, they can continue to bump tuition prices.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was brought to NDSU's attention by an outside party. What was he supposed to do? I guess he could have formed committee after committee, spent 100's of thousands of dollars and taken 10 years to eventually change. Heaven forbid he was able to make a quick and final decision.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a Celtic-Norwegian-Saxon-American, I find the fact that he only highlighted ONE of the derogatory phrases deplorable. :::

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am alum and the only school song I remember was hail the bison!!!!:;:stirthepot Nothing I remember about that song had any derogatory comments :;:cheers

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was brought to NDSU's attention by an outside party. What was he supposed to do? I guess he could have formed committee after committee, spent 100's of thousands of dollars and taken 10 years to eventually change. Heaven forbid he was able to make a quick and final decision.

I don't really care about this particular incident. All the preceding incidents though, not ok.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things like this is why Trump is doing so well. One person may say a person with an IQ of 30 is mentally retarded. A liberal will go nuts and say no no he is mentally challenged. If they mean the same thing why is saying mentally challenged more kind than saying mentally retarded? Do we have to rename fire retardents also? This is not a moral argument, it is a feel good emotional argument. An emotional argument to change names that means the same thing. So if it means the same thing how is it kinder? I think it takes a mentally retarded mind to come up with these ideas. I dislike emotion over-riding logic.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
With any luck, his contract will not be renewed in July. He has been simply awful in this office.

Maybe to you and some of the other UND grads in the ND legislature but he's done exactly what most presidents of major research universities are supposed to do. You can piss and moan about an $8300 business fare plain ticket but it will probably bring millions back to NDSU through research grants. Money well spent IMO. Way better use of tax payer dollars then UND's former president spending god knows how much on the nickname fiasco and his little vacation to Europe to "study tenure"!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88