Need a good lake to take the kiddos

Brianbefish

Looking for somewhere close to Stanley to get some kids on some fish. Anybody willing to share a good lake?
Thanks

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know where you are located but from the reports I have seen Crooked Lake north of Turtle Lake area is a good choice in the past, I haven't been there personally but for action that has seemed to always have a chance for most. Seen some reports of catching many bluegill on Harmon Lake north of Mandan also. Best I can give you on short notice with out personal experience.
dukgnfsn

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leaving in a few minutes with the boy to hit Hiddenwood south of Makoti, smaller lake and so not a huge pain to just walk around on. Also have Makoti just north of that a mile. Not to far away are Rice and north and south Carlson. All are reasonable from Stanley, closer than my drive anyway from Watford

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Take the kids to Powers Lake. Pike are biting and the kids would have a blast! Not far from Stanley either.

Fish On!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was going to recommend powers lake as well... can always go down to white earth bay and try there too... or van hook... the city pond in stanley and the little lake on the south end of stanley have fish as well

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good little lake is McLeod there's perch and walleye but abundant pike!! And it's really small so you can walk turned the other side in 10 min!

Here's a video from February when I was there.
https://youtu.be/GbjN0AFDws8

NDOUTDOORS

was at crooked a few times in the last few weeks. Perch bite is constant and they range in size from super small to 10-12 inches. I have had good luck with walleye and northern there as well. Never been skunked! my advice is small jigs with minnow head or wax worm.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
We caught quite a few perch today, most were 6-7 inches but got a few bigger ones. Largest was 11, caught on a tip up with a quck strike rig and enough minnows to gag a cormorant. Lots of folks out with kids, everybody with a pulse seemed to be catching a few.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where are you located?

Northgate NE of Stanley has great panfish and you can catch a few Rainbow trout if you pay attention to a flasher.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Northgate would be a fun place for the kids then. Easy access and small enough to walk right off the landing and catch fish. 10-15 fow small jigs and wax worms work best. Might have to check the deeper holes too.

Mike0129

This is a bit of an old post, but Northgate Dam has a bunch of bluegill. Great for kids. Set up in 18 ft of water, that's the best depth there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33