Need boat mechanic help

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Backed my boat in to get it ready today (finally). Was gonna put in the batteries and start it up. Tilted the motor down and then went to work switching batteries. Hooked up new battery and all of a sudden my tilt won't work. Noticed a fuse blown for the bilge. No idea if that was recent but switched that out.
Hooked it up just like before. Everything else works except motor tilt. Figured it's probably a fuse but can't find any that appear to be blown. Its not making a sound whether I use the tilt on the motor or the throttle, like it's not even getting power to it. I'm still convinced it's a fuse somewhere that I am missing. Any other ideas? Not a lot of experience with boats. And unfortunately the motor is all the way down so not sure I can take it anywhere as I think I'll scrape ground with it.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you trying to trimming from the control box, motor or both?

- - - Updated - - -

What make?

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you trying to trimming from the control box, motor or both?

- - - Updated - - -

What make?

Tried both. 1999 Johnson 130 hp on a 1999 Crestliner 1950.

- - - Updated - - -

No power my motor at all. Power to other things from the starting battery. Fuse?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do know those TT motor units go bad. If it's dead, dead like you hear nothing you may need to order another. Otherwise in my OMC 1995 unit there is fluid that needs to be filled from time to time if you hear it running but no movement.

I also had a dirty contact in the control box and it wouldn't trim up...that was from pulling on gravel.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if there is a fuse for the whole motor. Maybe a breaker that needs to reset?

Shippy99

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just spitballing, but any fusable links at the battery? or a breaker with a pushbutton reset on the end?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
" Tilted the motor down and then went to work switching batteries. Hooked up new battery and all of a sudden my tilt won't work."

If it worked before you switched batteries but not after your wire/cable might not be making contact I'd take all the cables and wires back off again and clean them up real good and try it.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the same thing this spring and had a bad connection, I had to scrape that crust off of the wire connectors , I thought I had it good the first time. the Dremel with the sanding wheel did the trick

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had similar issue yesterday. My battery connection for the accessories was broke. Drew enough current to run depth and live wells but not the trim.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on the cleaning of connections. Also, my 115 Evinrude has a relay setup for the tilt/trim and one of those could have gone bad. There is a plastic box with relays located on the back of the engine block up high that has the relays in it on my engine.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll check all connections again tomorrow, clean them, make sure I haven't missed any and give it another shot. I don't see any crust on the connections me and battery is brand new. Not sure I know where breaker resets are.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't remember exactly what the circuitry is on that particular motor but under the engine cowling there will be a fuse/relay block. I would guess you burnt the trim/tilt fuse in there. Pull all those fuses and check em. relay could also have gone out but usually the motor will go up or down, just one relay usually blows. There are two relays for the trim/tilt. One for each direction.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are you sure the new battery is fully charged?

If so looks like it's time for a new sparkly boat! :;:smokin

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every boat owner should have a spray can of corrosion protector, Most of your electrical/electronic problems will go away. If your in a pinch even WD-40 is better than nothing.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Embarrassed to say I forgot to put the 2 main cables on. Had 2 smaller cables connected only. They were pushed back and I didn't see them. One of those "come back the next day and it was right after n front of my face" things. Now my problem is I started it up in the driveway, put the motor in a garbage can of water but no water was coming out of the pee hole. Just bought it used last fall and honestly have no idea if it was working last fall. I used the boat 3 or 4 times with no problems so I think the pump must be working. New to boats so not well versed in this stuff yet.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some boats have to get up to full operating temp before water comes out of the pee hole.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
take a bottom bouncer and stick it in the piss hole. Might just be sand. And yes many have to temp up enough for the thermostat to open. Can take five minutes or more at an idle. But since you bought it used and have no idea what the water pump looks like I'd at least inspect it. They are cheap.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fyi I take my boat in each spring. It costs me about $160. New plugs change oils. I could save a little and do it my self but its much nicer to find out any problems before I want to take it out for the first time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33