Need Rain!!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing like a 40 MPH wind on a 101 degree day to help the drought situation out. Apparently this field decided to head for Canada to spend the summer.

Screenshot_20170609-164214_zpsef3qeapw.jpg

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
we got bout 4 tenths in williston last night, supposed to b more coming this week, and we really need it...

we tried planting a bunch of trees in an area with natural drainage to give the trees extra help... pretty much just weeds left, with the occasional cleaned off stick (deer) remaining... i'm no type of ist, and have no letters behind my name, but i don't think trying to plant new tree rows out in fields without the time and water to care for them for the first few years is gonna grow new tree rows... i think no till has returned us to the closest native prairie grasslands we have had since the land was broke... with the disease issues in the no till now though, i'm not sure that is the long term answer either... ever changing...

i tell out of staters every week that complain bout the lack of trees that we in nd have cut down far less trees than the treed states they came from... the open areas were not clear cut like in the treed states, as this was native prairie... you get very far from a water source, and the trees you see were planted by people, in a time when we got enough moisture to give them a good start... i also think that the weeds have changed as well... i don't remember all the kosha, thistle, and dandelions out in the open prairie years ago either like there is now... again, ever changing...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a taste in this last front, but still short about 4 inches. The cracks in my yard haven't closed a bit and I don't even want to think about the gallons I've put on my fruit trees and bushes to keep them green and growing. Still doing the rain dance out this a way. C'mon Rain!!!!

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel for all the people that tried to plant trees this year.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
And maybe drill a smaller hole like 1" to get the water down.

I cut the end off a spiral tent stake and chuck it up in a cordless drill , It works like a charm. I wish it was smaller diameter for years as dry as this. It's a little to aggressive for hard ground.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all my fault, I picked this year to start an orchard.

What kind of trees did you plant ? The established trees seem to be faring well up here so far, Knock on wood. Rhubarb is growing like a weed this year too.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got 0.25" in my rain gauge this morning.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course the helicopter to the right of the road didn't contribute to the dust storm, did it?

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
It looks to be right east of the national guard by Bismarck airport. They have an old helicopter that sits by the entrance.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its so dry here the thistle and dandelions quit growing. Supposed to get an inch here in the next couple of days. Lets hope we get a little more than that. Some crop adjusters are already telling farmers to burn down the crops they have looked at with roundup to save the nutrients in the soil.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The alfalfa fields once baled look like they do in late October with almost zero green left. Hopefully this rain actually hits and at least give us a bit of greening to knock the fire danger down some.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hoping the NOAA prediction that June, July, and August for NoDak is above average comes true. We need some moisture BADLY! Last summer I had mushrooms growing everywhere through August because of the ample moisture, but going from that to nearly nothing on a rain gauge since the snow melt is pretty drastic!

I finish up planting thirty trees and bushes tonight. Might be lots of water hauling if we don't get going on some droppage of moisture. Uggh.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're about 12 years overdue for a good drought. I think the whole state has been living on borrowed time. I feel for everyone who is really impacted by this. But we're resilient mofos. Someone get a pipe from Devils Lake and start pumping all that H2O to where it's needed! #$%^&>

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 9
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4