Nest Thermostat

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have a Nest thermostat? I've wanted one for a while and it looks like they just came out with the 3rd generation.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought about it last year when I was having the house built but decided against it at the time. I don't recall the reason why I didn't. There was something I had found with them that kind of bothered me but I don't recall what it was.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy could be on the ice freezing all day and turn the heat up to 85 for an underwear party from your iphone.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy could be on the ice freezing all day and turn the heat up to 85 for an underwear party from your iphone.
That is scary beyond belief considering the guys you fish with ;:;boozer;:;boozer;:;boozer

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one. Probably would have never thought about going and buying one but it was already installed when we bought our house last winter.

So far the only complaint is that if we are in the basement for an extended period of time without going upstairs and walking past it it thinks we are gone and goes into "away" mode. Now there may very well be a way to set it so it doesn't do this so quickly but to be honest its such a little complaint that i haven't bothered checking into it. We always have at least one of our phones on us anyway so you can use the app to turn in back to "home" mode.

Long story short whenever we move into a different house I will be buying another one or something similar.

ELLS

Founding Member
Founding Member
The nest works great. Have one in the house and one in the garage. You can program it to a time schedule along with other settings. In the winter I set it at 62, when I'm not sure when I'll be getting home I can just use my phone to crank it up. Same thing in the garage.

red eyed devil

Founding Member
Founding Member
The nest is very cool I have worked on a lot of systems with them everyone i have asked is happy with them. I would have one but I have a honeywell 8000 touchscreen

- - - Updated - - -

You can get a honeywell WIFI stat for half the price

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
what kind of energy savings are you guys seeing with these? Burning propane gets to sucking when it hits 5 a gallon. If they save fuel could easily be worth installing one

red eyed devil

Founding Member
Founding Member
what kind of energy savings are you guys seeing with these? Burning propane gets to sucking when it hits 5 a gallon. If they save fuel could easily be worth installing one
If you can get off peak power rates a plenum heater might b worth considering. I dont really believe a setback tstat saves much money

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have mrs johnr, I call her she sets the thermostat to what I say, she only cost me half of everything I have so its worth it...hahahaLooks cool might be adding this to the johnr home

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have thought about a Nest. Have a regular round one now.

Side-note. My 6 yr old daughter was showing me the other day, how she's now tall enough to touch the thermostat.

"Neat", I said.

Fast forward about 24 hours. I look at my wife and say "man, it's hot in here, I should go look at the thermostat".

Hmm, a/c doesn't run when it's set on auto, and the temp is cranked up to 90.

NO MORE TOUCHING THE THERMOSTAT!!!

red eyed devil

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have thought about a Nest. Have a regular round one now.

Side-note. My 6 yr old daughter was showing me the other day, how she's now tall enough to touch the thermostat.

"Neat", I said.

Fast forward about 24 hours. I look at my wife and say "man, it's hot in here, I should go look at the thermostat".

Hmm, a/c doesn't run when it's set on auto, and the temp is cranked up to 90.

NO MORE TOUCHING THE THERMOSTAT!!!
The honeywell 8000 wifi has a screen lock setting

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take it you have to have interweb access at the house and wifi for these to work?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
The nest is very cool I have worked on a lot of systems with them everyone i have asked is happy with them. I would have one but I have a honeywell 8000 touchscreen

- - - Updated - - -

You can get a honeywell WIFI stat for half the price

I ended up putting in a Honeywell with WiFi (no touchscreen) and it works well for me and I can adjust everything from my phone and computer. Only Set me back a $100.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 250
  • This month: 212
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66