new bbq thermometer suggestions...

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bump on a new Thermometer for the lake.
This last weekend we had a group cook out, and I did my homemade fries. However my oil on the first batch was not to temp, using a turkey fryer with small pan option. I have always just dropped a fry in and if it was a boiling figured we were good. A fellow camper came over and dipped his thermometer in and I was only at 235 temp. Should be at 375*+.
What little pocket type temp taker do you guys use in this situation? Willing to spend up to $50 on it, so not looking to be cheap...

For what you describe you can't beat a Thermapen. The cheaper Thermopop would probably work ok too. But you'll probably use it more then you think so I'd splurge on the thermopen.

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermapen-one/

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The more rapid response of the “pen” version is useful for profiling the temp throughput the steak/chop/fish.

By inserting the tip at a controlled rate as it penetrates top to bottom you can “log” the temp profile. Very useful for grill masters like myself. 😆

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1720036560196.png

Honkerslayr

Bought this once and is good down to -30 when smoking meat in January. Its great for large smokers too so you can put it in different cuts of meat. Also has a magnetic back so I can slap it right onto the smoker. Finally broke after I left it in the rain too many times but lasted me 5+ yrs. Also bluetooth to a few hundred yards and in the app you can make any type of alarm that send to your phone in whatever type of temp variance you want. Just save the alarm for each cut of meat the re-select it next time. Some people like cordless thermos but this provides plenty of length, and I like having 6 available thermometers. Each one can be set to different alarm temps. Bought another and its going on 3 yrs now no issues. Runs for a very long time on 2 AA’s.
IMG_6872.jpeg

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had pretty good luck with ink bird pen till it died because I rinsed it off and water got into the screen after not sure how many years. Picked up a Thermo pop and dot few months ago and no complaints. Inkbird for the money can't go wrong in my opinion

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few hours ago I was in a bar. About two hours ago I woke up face down on the basement couch with a foil wrapped sandwich in my ass...NOW there's some strange chick here waiting for me to stop posting.

She looks horny, has a gun and must be patient. I feel both flattered and violated.

You never know how your day will turn out.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A few hours ago I was in a bar. About two hours ago I woke up face down on the basement couch with a foil wrapped sandwich in my ass...NOW there's some strange chick here waiting for me to stop posting.

She looks horny, has a gun and must be patient. I feel both flattered and violated.

You never know how your day will turn out.
Sounds like a damn fine day, if you live through it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 31
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11