New boat companies

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course you don't, nor was I making that point. If you were replying to my post.
I was stating that putting that kind of bank into a boat is either a guy is rich, or he uses his way the heck more than I do.

I have to justify everything to mrs johnr, and she is also my banker...:cry:
We're solid! wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not at a point in my life where I can afford a big fancy boat, but I'll be right honest and say if I could, I would. Heck, every time I get in a nice boat I start re-thinking my priorities :LOL:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not at a point in my life where I can afford a big fancy boat, but I'll be right honest and say if I could, I would. Heck, every time I get in a nice boat I start re-thinking my priorities :LOL:
Just take out a long enough loan and anybody can "afford" them ...rofl...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reality is (tillers boats excluded), most weekend anglers don't crack 50 hours per year on the main motor, very avid anglers between 50-100 hrs, and rare to find those few guys that are doing 100+ hrs in the northern states. The other part that comes into play is water access. Take ND's biggest resource, Lake Sakakawea, and there are few stretches of shoreline that don't have an access at least every 10-15 miles, more less multiple boat ramps in that stretch. Most people don't need or like to make long runs to fish on the average day. On one of my biggest usage years, my boat literally touched the water 40+ days and I made many 20-30 mile one way trips and I still only hit about 80 hours on the main engine. So seeing 2-4 year old boats with a couple hundred hours on them isn't out of ordinary expectation.

TBH, the boats, engines, and electronics we are all using today are unbelievably superior to what we had even 20-years ago. Marine quality these days on these top tier boats is so much better, from wiring, composite stringers, floors, and transoms that won't ever rot; to modern 4 stroke efi engines that are expected to run 4000+ hours and tough coated steel or full aluminum trailers that aren't rust buckets after 5 years. A properly cared for and maintained boat from today could easily last most people a lifetime even though most won't ever keep them even 5-years. Frankly, anything that's been decently cared for and manufactured in the last decade will make many a great boat. Electronics can always be upgraded and that's probably one of the biggest areas of change.

I hope to update from my 2018 in the next year or two and it has nothing to do, or even the modest thought that it's unreliable or falling apart. Frankly, like many, I just have the yearning for something new and I'm a sucker for sparkly boats, lol.

The ones that are doing 100, or more hours a year are not usually the ones running 20-30 miles at WOT trying to get somewhere. Instead, they are like me and have a boat that is well matched to its motor for trolling with the main engine. My 17.5 ft Lund Fisherman with a 115 Yamaha trolls cranks very well in the 1.9-3.5 mph range, depending on the wind. When it's cranking season for me, it is very easy to put 4-7 hours/day on the main motor. I've really cut back on the hours my boat is used since I bought the Toon, but I'm still above 50 hours a year on my Yamaha because of trolling.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
"2000 Lund Angler Tiller and 2011 Ranger 621. Still love both rigs. Take care of them and they hold value. Run ‘em hard and put ‘em away wet and they will give you druthers."

Very true! Every Boat I sold was in show room condition.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ones that are doing 100, or more hours a year are not usually the ones running 20-30 miles at WOT trying to get somewhere. Instead, they are like me and have a boat that is well matched to its motor for trolling with the main engine. My 17.5 ft Lund Fisherman with a 115 Yamaha trolls cranks very well in the 1.9-3.5 mph range, depending on the wind. When it's cranking season for me, it is very easy to put 4-7 hours/day on the main motor. I've really cut back on the hours my boat is used since I bought the Toon, but I'm still above 50 hours a year on my Yamaha because of trolling.

That’s one scenario.

Another one is a kicker motor, and some have overpowered for their boat electric trolling motors they pull cranks with.

Every situation is different

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

When we had a camper on Devils lake --- i ran to pelican from creel with the boat 90% of the time as it took to long to drive up with the truck especially when they closed the ramp and you ended running over from minni. 40min to the spot and 40min back. If we cranked -- it was 9 hours per day on the main engine. Same with East DL. I have not plugged in my laptop for a while for hours . But my outboard said --- thank you for the fresh fuel. Old fuel is 99% of the issues with outboards.

IMO -- The ones you see for sale with little or no hours are newbys or booms that thought they would get into a new sport or brush up on something they hadnt done for a while. They moved onto something else.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When we had a camper on Devils lake --- i ran to pelican from creel with the boat 90% of the time as it took to long to drive up with the truck especially when they closed the ramp and you ended running over from minni. 40min to the spot and 40min back. If we cranked -- it was 9 hours per day on the main engine. Same with East DL. I have not plugged in my laptop for a while for hours . But my outboard said --- thank you for the fresh fuel. Old fuel is 99% of the issues with outboards.

IMO -- The ones you see for sale with little or no hours are newbys or booms that thought they would get into a new sport or brush up on something they hadnt done for a while. They moved onto something else.

The original post was talking about big sparkly boats, we’re talking about 20+ ft walleye boats with 300-400 Hp engines. Nobody is trolling with their main power. They have kickers and TMs for fishing duty………it’s almost impossible for even really super avid anglers to put more than 100 hours per year on the main engine of these big boats. It IS the reason that these 2-5 year old boats have only a 2 or 3 hundred hours on them.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I fish more than most and make a lot of 20-30 mile one way runs and my 18’ Verado 350 has a whopping 270 hours on it. It’ll go down the road possibly in the next year or two with 325-375 hours on the main engine on a 6-7 year old boat for a whopping average of 50-60 hours a year. It’s damn hard to put 100 hours a year on these big engines in the northern climate.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish more than most and make a lot of 20-30 mile one way runs and my 18’ Verado 350 has a whopping 270 hours on it. It’ll go down the road possibly in the next year or two with 325-375 hours on the main engine on a 6-7 year old boat for a whopping average of 50-60 hours a year. It’s damn hard to put 100 hours a year on these big engines in the northern climate.
I have been known to pull tubes with my fishing boat, which puts maybe 2 hours on it, meaning I would have to pull the tube 50 times a summer to get to the mark of 100 hours, not even remotely possible.

I would guess my boat hits the water 20 times a season on average, we don't pull a tube anymore, kids are grown. We run to our 6 different hot spots, or just 1 if we limit out. Have a kicker for cranking, which is maybe once a year.

I don't see a situation where I could put more than 30-35 hours on the big engine a season. Probably only put 80 hours on the trolling motor a season.

However some guys are fanatics and maybe fish 3-4 times a week, revolve their entire summer around it, have no other hobbies, don't enjoy a sexy bitch on the back of their Harley, don't have kids in sports, don't have a garden, don't go the the Medora Musical... the list is endless. These fella's likely put over 100 hours on a boat engine.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The original post was talking about big sparkly boats, we’re talking about 20+ ft walleye boats with 300-400 Hp engines. Nobody is trolling with their main power. They have kickers and TMs for fishing duty………it’s almost impossible for even really super avid anglers to put more than 100 hours per year on the main engine of these big boats. It IS the reason that these 2-5 year old boats have only a 2 or 3 hundred hours on them.
Look at Facebook marketing --- those boats either have a bunch of hours or very few. Very few in between. Same with bass boats. I put money on it my idle hours vs higher rpms are very simliar to yours. Not everyone had conrad burdick, dorgan.....making accesses every 3 miles and easy to drive to. My brothers lake you dont use other acccess as they are hard to drive to (6 largest resv) If the fish are up in the river you go by boat . He doesnt work - he just fishes. It is just like sleds you see the same thing either nuttin or a bunch of hours. The thing is some people work hard and others work smart.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t need to justify to anyone (except the wife) when it comes to how I spend my money. Just know that I’m enjoying the hell out of it.

DF2AB5FA-3116-4EA0-AAF6-4049C484B0E8.jpeg
Dirty, what's that caymas get for speed? No fibbing now..actual real life speeds?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
best this spring, downstream, 60.8 mph. I’ve since switched to a 4 blade prop to get out of the hole a bit better. Now I run at 58/59 with a full tourney load.
That definitely moving! They are nice looking rigs foresure!

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in day of serious tournament fishing with father-in-law and deal we got with Lund on boats we did about 200 hours a year easy. Not so much now I have many friends with all those nice boats, and they are something to behold. I kept last boat ole 2025 Lund and with dad passing got his older 50th anniversary Lund 1700 pro sport went through it did bunch rewiring and upgrades works good on smaller lakes and now days low water Missouri river in central ND. I remember my last boat which was top of line boat was 50G setup with all the goodies and boy we had same conversation as now. The market and economy sure have changed, 120 to 150G never ever thought it would happen.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course you don't, nor was I making that point. If you were replying to my post.
I was stating that putting that kind of bank into a boat is either a guy is rich, or he uses his way the heck more than I do.

I have to justify everything to mrs johnr, and she is also my banker...:cry:
I bet she has a bucket sitting in the kitchen with your balls and spine in it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88