New Site Ideas....

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about a thumbs down icon? That way people can see who votes you up and votes you down instead of the anonymous reputation.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
There is a thumbs down feature built, but I have it disabled. I think it would spur mob negativity. Reputation system is working as intended, but I am always watching for needed tweeks.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
As has been suggested by more than just me, how about just showing the id of who is giving reputation points good or bad?

If it is about getting people to stop and think about what they are posting on here. If you stop and think about it, it really does come down to WHO is giving them to how much weight one can put behind your system working.

There are some people on here that if I got a "bad rep" notice from I would take note and give it some thought, while there are others that
I'm really not going to give a rip.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leave the rep thing as it is. The passive/aggressive grudges and shmarmy comments that went on for weeks, months, years after an aggressive member got his ox gored on FBO is why I left FBO when an alternative came around. If the bad rep giver's name is supplied then those same people will start that crap here. I'd prefer that not happen.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
guy, if the reputation system is actually working as apparently intended, it would prevent that and in theory actually take those people out of the picture earlier.

Having the identity of those leaving "bad rep" on someone for the moderator to use in deciding the fate of people might make their job easier if it comes to that.

No big deal...before I end up with more bad rep points..:)..just an "idea" for the new site.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leave the rep thing as it is. The passive/aggressive grudges and shmarmy comments that went on for weeks, months, years after an aggressive member got his ox gored on FBO is why I left FBO when an alternative came around. If the bad rep giver's name is supplied then those same people will start that crap here. I'd prefer that not happen.

I was thinking that instead of me getting called out for something I didn't do, the victim could direct his comments towards the appropriate party.

Cant we all just get along? :;:smokin

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
One bad point resulting from a case of "mistaken intent" is easily absorbed by the rep system. When a person is "active" and contributes a lot (and jokes and kids a lot) he's bound to accidentally step on some toes.

When he torques everyone off day after day to the point of everyone getting sick of it the rep system lets him know that. If he ignores that and continues then he's clearly got issues that community peer pressure can't solve... and he needs to go away so as not to muddy the experience for everyone else at his expense.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Forcing people to supply their name while giving bad rep will discourage people from using it.

I keep a close eye, and it is very very rare that anyone gives bad rep 'just because'.

It is hard to abuse the system.

Don't get too upset when losing rep. Often, it is for -0 or -1 depending on the rep power of the person giving rep. That is easily recouped. As I have said before, it is when the masses speak, that you should be worried.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
One bad point resulting from a case of "mistaken intent" is easily absorbed by the rep system. When a person is "active" and contributes a lot (and jokes and kids a lot) he's bound to accidentally step on some toes.

When he torques everyone off day after day to the point of everyone getting sick of it the rep system lets him know that. If he ignores that and continues then he's clearly got issues that community peer pressure can't solve... and he needs to go away so as not to muddy the experience for everyone else at his expense.

I am going on a negative rep rampage, and then blaming it on the confederate flag, or something cool like that. You will be my first victim.

#guywithnegativepointsacoming

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going on a negative rep rampage, and then blaming it on the confederate flag, or something cool like that. You will be my first victim.

#guywithnegativepointsacoming

You already hurt me terribly with the knock on the fact I drive a headhanger.

Jerk! :(

#juanrwhohatesdodgedrivers

- - - Updated - - -

When it comes to banning - we ARE the mods.

Perfect - not?

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Forcing people to supply their name while giving bad rep will discourage people from using it.

I keep a close eye, and it is very very rare that anyone gives bad rep 'just because'.

It is hard to abuse the system.

Don't get too upset when losing rep. Often, it is for -0 or -1 depending on the rep power of the person giving rep. That is easily recouped. As I have said before, it is when the masses speak, that you should be worried.

Like I said, no big deal, after it was explained it seems you are right about the handful of bad rep points one may lose not really meaning much.

But you possibly are not giving the people that would be respected when giving bad rep enough credit. People with the backbone and integrity to sign their name are the ones whose opinions likely matter more for the credibility and reputation of a site.

It would likely be those people with the personal vendettas or childish hurt feel goods that would be "discouraged" from their shennanigans.

Like I said, "no big deal"... just an "idea".

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can we focus on outdoor activity-related posts, product reviews, hunting/fishing reports instead of reputation points?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect - not?

haha,

I only pick on dodge because of a friend of mine who is so proud of dodge I think he fornicates with his pickup.
So after listening to him tell me I am a fool for driving a Ford, and how his truck is better, cleaner, faster, nicer, smarter, and just the greatest pickup in the world, I have learned to hate Dodges.

So nothing personal, and in fact I actually like them just fine, but driving one would make me a queer like him, sooooo ya know

- - - Updated - - -

Can we focus on outdoor activity-related posts, product reviews, hunting/fishing reports instead of reputation points?

No

Bad rep for you too now dirty...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
rainbow-dodge-seatbelt-buckle-belt-car-striped-seat-new.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect - not?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76